Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Oct 01, 2014 at 03:30 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Pens vs. Wings  (Read 1283 times)
Merman1983
Old School Member

Master of the figure-four leglock

« on: Nov 11, 2008 at 13:23 »

Lines for tonight's game.

Talbot-Crosby-Satan
Fedotenko-Malkin-Sykora
Cooke-Staal-Kennedy
Dupuis-Zigomanis-Godard

Orpik-Letang
Gill-Scuderi
Sydor-Goligoski

I'm all for getting Dupuis off the 2nd line. Not a big Fedotenko fan either but he seems more skilled offensively than Dupuis.

Also Hossa has 17 points and is +9 in 13 games. Man I wish that 7 year deal would have happened. Sid + Hossa for the next 7 years would have been sick.
whitmer_87
Brownstains can suck my Member

« Reply #1 on: Nov 11, 2008 at 20:49 »

Wooo! What a fucking game! I have found religion and my prophet's name is Jordan Staal! What a badass, a hatty in the 3rd, and the steal and assist to seal the deal. I will reiterate; what a fucking badass!

"The duty of the comedian is to find out where the line is drawn, and cross it deliberately."-George Carlin
SCacalaki
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #2 on: Nov 11, 2008 at 21:05 »

Possibly the best game I've ever seen

Words to live by:  "Dick LeBeau is Dick LeBeau," Tomlin said. "Everybody knows Dick."
Merman1983
Old School Member

« Reply #3 on: Nov 12, 2008 at 10:35 »

Great game and great win. It's up there with last year's game 5 and the Nedved game against Washington in 96.

Good to see Staal get the monkey off his back. I've been one of his biggest critics and if this springboards him into to proving me wrong I'll be thrilled.

Man, if we get Gonch and Whitney back at full strength with the way Goligoski and Letang are playing, that is going to make for one strong group of defensemen.
whitmer_87

« Reply #4 on: Nov 12, 2008 at 10:55 »

Scuderi and Orpik are also playing well. Gill kinda shit to bed on that Zetterberg goal, but he's been good too. So assuming Whitney and Gonchar return to their old selves, who's the odd man out? That'll be playoff time. As much as I like Gologoski I think we gotta scratch him and go with:

Line1=Gonchar, Scuderi
Line2=Whitney, Orpik
Line3=Letang, Gill

This is obviously getting way ahead, but it's still interesting. And not a bad problem to have either.

If Staal starts to develop like we all thought he would, maybe he brings enough of a scoring threat that we won't necessarily make a big move before the trade deadline. Still remains to be seen though. I'm liking Max on the first line still, hope they keep him their for a while.

"The duty of the comedian is to find out where the line is drawn, and cross it deliberately."-George Carlin
Merman1983
Old School Member

« Reply #5 on: Nov 12, 2008 at 11:20 »

Scuderi and Orpik are also playing well. Gill kinda shit to bed on that Zetterberg goal, but he's been good too. So assuming Whitney and Gonchar return to their old selves, who's the odd man out? That'll be playoff time. As much as I like Gologoski I think we gotta scratch him and go with:

Line1=Gonchar, Scuderi
Line2=Whitney, Orpik
Line3=Letang, Gill

Line 1 - No argument here
Line 2 - Really depends on how Whitney comes back and if Gologoski continues to improve. Foot injuries can be tricky. Of course if Whitney is 100 % then I agree with this pairing.
Line 3 - No arguement here. Gill shit the bed on Zetterberg's goal & I'll admit I wasn't excited when we aquired him last year, but he was very good in the finals and has been our best PKing defensmen this year. I really like what Letang brings as well.

Still not sure Staal can develop into a top scoring threat, but I love him on the 3rd line anyway. The 3rd and 4th lines are actually better than last years. Cooke is better than Rutuu, Godard brings so much more to the table than big George, Dupuis is where he belongs. Ziggy's faceoff performance speaks for itself, he's been unbelievable especially considering he was acquired for basically nothing.
PghSteel-43
Old School Member

« Reply #6 on: Nov 12, 2008 at 17:33 »

So assuming Whitney and Gonchar return to their old selves, who's the odd man out?

It's hard for me to say simply because who knows what Shero is going to do once Whitney and Gonchar are healthy?  One of the two could very well be involved in a trade.  Shero could afford to ship two defenseman out of here if he feels that's the smart move and the trade could involve Whitney, Sydor or Scuderi.

Personally, I do not see the Penguins sending Goligoski down to WBS when Gonchar and Whitney are healthy nor should they in my opinion.  What else can he learn and accomplish down in WBS?  While he wouldn't have to clear waivers if we decided to send him down and while it would help out our cap space, the guy has played too well for too long and has the potential to get even better.  Unless his game seriously drops over the next month/month and a half, I wouldn't send him down.  IMO, the guy has earned a spot on this team and he deserves to keep that spot. 
« Last Edit: Nov 13, 2008 at 00:24 by PghSteel-43 » Logged
whitmer_87

« Reply #7 on: Nov 13, 2008 at 02:27 »

So assuming Whitney and Gonchar return to their old selves, who's the odd man out?

It's hard for me to say simply because who knows what Shero is going to do once Whitney and Gonchar are healthy?  One of the two could very well be involved in a trade.  Shero could afford to ship two defenseman out of here if he feels that's the smart move and the trade could involve Whitney, Sydor or Scuderi.

Personally, I do not see the Penguins sending Goligoski down to WBS when Gonchar and Whitney are healthy nor should they in my opinion.  What else can he learn and accomplish down in WBS?  While he wouldn't have to clear waivers if we decided to send him down and while it would help out our cap space, the guy has played too well for too long and has the potential to get even better.  Unless his game seriously drops over the next month/month and a half, I wouldn't send him down.  IMO, the guy has earned a spot on this team and he deserves to keep that spot. 

We talked about the possibility of trading Gonchar a couple weeks back, and you said he's not going to be healthy til playoff time. Same goes for Whitney. By the time both of these guys are healthy it'll be past the deadline.

I think scratching Gologoski would be a pretty smart move if we're in the playoffs. As I recall, Letang got scratched last year for his sub par performance in the playoffs. It's hard for young defensemen to play in the post season.The lines I suggested have been there, and know how to win games. Unless Gologoski somehow gets a great deal better, I don't see his talent being picked over the playoff experience of a Hal Gill or Rob Scuderi.

But you're right, this is all speculation because Shero could choose to trade a defensemen or two. I would really like to see Scuderi stick around, he's a really solid defensive defensemen. If we could possibly get something out of Sydor or Eaton I'd definitely be in favor of it, but the core guys should stay IMO. Maybe next season we should trade an older defensemen like Gonchar. Just before his production goes down. I'm all for that(if it's worth it), but I think if it ain't broken don't fix it. Hopefully Whitney and Gonchar will be 100% come playoff time, and we can make another run for it.

PghSteel-43
Old School Member

« Reply #8 on: Nov 13, 2008 at 10:19 »

We talked about the possibility of trading Gonchar a couple weeks back, and you said he's not going to be healthy til playoff time. Same goes for Whitney. By the time both of these guys are healthy it'll be past the deadline.

In Gonchar's case, he is not expected back before the deadline (I wouldn't trade him anyways), but Whitney is coming along better than expected and he has stated that he expects to be back by the end of December/early January, if not earlier.  He's already skating.  

That would leave us with Whitney, Sydor, Goligoski, Gill, Letang, Orpik, Eaton, Scuderi and if you want even more depth, you can count defenseman turned winger Paul Bissonnette.  You normally want to carry seven defensemen, counting Bissonnette that still leaves us with nine defensemen.  Technically, you can afford to dump two.  I'm not saying nor did I state that we should trade two defensemen, but it is an option.  If Shero decides he does not want to dump two defensemen, there is always the option of throwing in a forward, which I see us doing.  

Eitherway, if you want to get the good, your going to have to give up the good....

Hossa and Dupuis - First round pick, Esposito, Armstrong, Christensen.

Ulf, Francis and Jennings - Cullen, Zalapski and Jennings.

Kovalev and York - Nedved, Pronger and Tamer.  

A trade could mean watching Staal, Whitney, Sydor, Scuderi, pick or picks going the other way.  That's the price your going to have to pay if you want that extra scoring push come playoff time.  I know many (all of a sudden) feel that one regular season victory in the month of November against the Red Wings will be our "turning point", but unfortunately one game is just a tad bit different than playing a seven game series in the Stanley Cup playoffs.  Unless Satan decides to score 40-50 goals this season and Dupuis all of a sudden turns into a 30 goal scorer, it's going to take more than what we have to win a Stanley Cup.

« Last Edit: Nov 13, 2008 at 10:23 by PghSteel-43 » Logged
whitmer_87

« Reply #9 on: Nov 13, 2008 at 14:44 »

I agree, we definitely have to give up talent to get talent. Giving up some good defensemen might be the answer to that, and I agree that we have to do something in order to make another run. I was just talking about possible defensive lines with who we have on the roster today. I think that playoff experience will prevail over young talent. Goligoski should be the 7th defensemen in the playoffs was my argument.

I already suggested trading Staal, a great third line center is not a necessity to win a championship, if we could get something good for him I'd be in favor of it. I'd really like to deal Eaton and Sydor, but I'm not sure if they hold any value.

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: