Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Apr 20, 2014 at 00:49 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Pens vs. Wings  (Read 1133 times)
PghSteel-43
Old School Member

« Reply #10 on: Nov 13, 2008 at 23:50 »

Speaking of Whitney....

Whitney might practice next week
By Rob Rossi
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Friday, November 14, 2008

It is possible injured defenseman Ryan Whitney could practice with the Penguins next week.

If not, likely by Thanksgiving.

"A week or two - that's the idea and hopefully go from there," Whitney said Thursday prior to the Penguins' game against the Philadelphia Flyers at Mellon Arena.

"I skate each morning, and it's getting much stronger. Slowly and surely it's getting better."

Whitney has yet to play this season. He underwent surgery in August to correct a left foot deformity that limited his productivity all of last season.

With no set return date, Whitney said yesterday rejoining the lineup in December remains "the goal," and he would not rule out playing in early-December.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/s_598392.html
whitmer_87
Brownstains can suck my Member

« Reply #11 on: Nov 14, 2008 at 02:07 »

Very good news!

"The duty of the comedian is to find out where the line is drawn, and cross it deliberately."-George Carlin
JackSplat
Jerk Store Proprietor
Old School Member

« Reply #12 on: Nov 14, 2008 at 05:06 »

it's going to take more than what we have to win a Stanley Cup.

I think we already have the talent to take the cup with what is presently on the roster.  its not because they beat the red wings, its because as it stands the pens are/have: 5th best record in the NHL, 4th is GF, middle of the pack in GA, 12th in PP% and 8th in PK%.  all that without 2 of their top D-men.

with the addition of Whitney back into the lineup soon, the PP numbers should be even better.

I really dont forsee any Hossa type trades at the deadline this year. 

Jerry, it's Frank Costanza, Mr.
Steinbrenner is here, George is dead, call me back!
PghSteel-43
Old School Member

« Reply #13 on: Nov 14, 2008 at 12:19 »

I really dont forsee any Hossa type trades at the deadline this year. 

Neither do I nor do I feel we need a Hossa-type trade in order to get that fire power from our first and second lines.  That's why I did not buy into the Kovalchuk-to-Pittsburgh rumors nor do I want anything to do with Gaborik. 

But I would have no problem going out and getting a Cheechoo-type player and I wouldn't be shocked to see Shero go out there and grab one before the deadline.  It would be cheaper on the payroll and we would not have to give up as much as we would in a Hossa-type trade.

Before we picked up Hossa last season, I recall many saying "our offense looks good, just wait until Sid get's back.  I do not see Shero making any type of moves with this roster.  It will mess up the chemistry, plus we have enough offense on this roster right now.". 

It didn't stop Shero from pulling the trigger and the team was better for it.  IMO, we would not have made it as far as we did if we did not pick up Hossa.  We definately would not have lasted six games in the final.  If there is a trade out there that is cap friendly and fair, I see no reason why Shero wouldn't go out and make the deal.

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: