Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Jul 29, 2014 at 18:06 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Melrose has been fired  (Read 743 times)
PghSteel-43
Old School Member

« on: Nov 14, 2008 at 17:31 »

Pittsburgh South is imploding....

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=2558...=topStory_main

I do not blame Malone for leaving for more money, that's his right, but I do have to wonder how he's feeling down there in Tampa Bay with his three goals, zero assists, -2 rating and on a team who's HC did not even last 17 games into the season?
« Last Edit: Nov 14, 2008 at 17:34 by PghSteel-43 » Logged
Merman1983
Old School Member

Master of the figure-four leglock

« Reply #1 on: Nov 14, 2008 at 17:56 »

I do not blame Malone for leaving for more money, that's his right, but I do have to wonder how he's feeling down there in Tampa Bay with his three goals, zero assists, -2 rating and on a team who's HC did not even last 17 games into the season?

I wonder if it has anything to do with the fact that he's not on arguably the best player in hockey's line anymore?

Loved Malone last year. Loved him around the net and on the PK. But it seemed like he turned it on for his contract year, which I don't like. Good for him for getting paid, but he was wasn't worth what he got.

And who didn't see this coming. Yeah TB looks great on paper, and they are loaded with offense. But they traded away what little D they had and their goaltending is suspect (although Smith has been better this year that I expected).

PghSteel-43
Old School Member

« Reply #2 on: Nov 14, 2008 at 18:15 »

I wonder if it has anything to do with the fact that he's not on arguably the best player in hockey's line anymore?

Lecavalier, St. Louis, Vrbata and Prospal are no scrubs.  If you can't score on a line with Lecavalier and St. Louis, that's saying something to me.

Loved Malone last year. Loved him around the net and on the PK. But it seemed like he turned it on for his contract year, which I don't like. Good for him for getting paid, but he was wasn't worth what he got.

I couldn't agree more.  Tampa Bay witnessed one season of Ryan Malone during a contract year.  They didn't look at his inconsistent and lackluster play before last season. 

And who didn't see this coming. Yeah TB looks great on paper, and they are loaded with offense. But they traded away what little D they had and their goaltending is suspect (although Smith has been better this year that I expected).

They are last in the league when it comes to scoring goals. That's coming from a team that went out and grabbed Malone, Vrbata and Prospal during the offseason, drafted Stamkos and already had Lecavalier and St. Louis.

Something is definately wrong down there and I'm not exactly sure it's all Melrose. The guy was out of coaching for the last 13 years. He comes back, get's a job with a team who totally revamped it's whole team in the offseason and they fire him after 16 games. In my opinion, they should have given him more time. Normally after a HC firing, things are only going to get worse from here on out for TB.

IMO, it has more to with Koules, Barrie and mostly Lawton. These guys were hell bent on making that team better by any means necessary during this offseason after winning only eleven games on the road last season. They promised the fans they would be better. They went into panic mode for a full offseason and signed as many guys as possible, no matter the cost and not taking into consideration what the chemistry would like when all was said and done.

Now they are in this situation. Just my opinion.
« Last Edit: Nov 14, 2008 at 18:35 by PghSteel-43 » Logged
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #3 on: Nov 14, 2008 at 18:51 »

Wow, I didn't even know he got back into coaching.  Guess he'll be back behind the broadcast desk pretty soon.

"I like David Bowie, he was always my favorite member of Tin Machine."
- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
PghSteel-43
Old School Member

« Reply #4 on: Nov 14, 2008 at 22:59 »

While I'm not the biggest fan of Melrose, I wouldn't mind him on versus.  Anything is better than the crew they have on there right now.

Detroit game went something like this......

First Period: Zetterberg, Datysuk, Hossa and Lidstrom can walk on water and piss streams of liquid gold.  *come up for air, clean chin*  This team is unbelievable.  They are the greatest team EVER.  Dynasty! Dynasty! *gurgle slurp, gurgle, slurp, clean chin*.  End of period one.

Second Period: This team doesn't break.  They are unbelievable.  They do not give up or get rattled.  *gurgle, slurp, gurgle, slurp, clean chin*.  End of period of period two.

Then the third period came around and after Staal got the HT and tied the game up they were at a loss for words.  It was like the Penguins stole their lunch money and punched them in the balls.  Large doses of xanax couldn't get these jagoffs to come around and give a pat on the back to a team that came back and beat the mighty Red Wings.

Then Fedotenko scores in OT and all you hear are self-inflicted gunshot wounds and crickets.

Now, I'm not denying that Detroit is a hell of a hockey team, but give some credit where credit is due.  Throw us a bone from time to time, but the non-stop suck fest for two periods straight was a little much.
vinman3
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Master of the Obvious

« Reply #5 on: Nov 15, 2008 at 06:07 »

Seemed a little quick to fire him, only 16 games into his tenure? Why hire the guy in the first place?

It's a hot night. The mind races. You think about your knife; the only friend who hasn't betrayed you, the only friend who won't be dead by sun up. Sleep tight, mates, in your quilted Chambray nightshirts.
whitmer_87
Brownstains can suck my Member

« Reply #6 on: Nov 15, 2008 at 06:43 »

Something is definately wrong down there and I'm not exactly sure it's all Melrose. The guy was out of coaching for the last 13 years. He comes back, get's a job with a team who totally revamped it's whole team in the offseason and they fire him after 16 games. In my opinion, they should have given him more time. Normally after a HC firing, things are only going to get worse from here on out for TB.

Couldn't agree more. Melrose said he wasn't surprised at all by it, because of "things that have going on behind the scenes." Makes you wonder just how fucked up things really are down there.

"The duty of the comedian is to find out where the line is drawn, and cross it deliberately."-George Carlin
Merman1983
Old School Member

Master of the figure-four leglock

« Reply #7 on: Nov 15, 2008 at 10:40 »

Seemed a little quick to fire him, only 16 games into his tenure? Why hire the guy in the first place?

The NHL is notorious for this. Coaches are very lucky if they get a full year to prove themselves/turn things around.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: