Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Apr 23, 2014 at 10:54 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sabres vs Pens  (Read 718 times)
PghSteel-43
Old School Member

« on: Nov 15, 2008 at 10:26 »

There is some good news and some bad news for tonights game.

Good news: The Sabres do not have a shorthanded goal all season long.  That could easily change tonight against our team.  Hopefully Malkin doesn't see that stat and decide to cheat up all night and let Goligoski become the scapegoat.  More good news, Miller does not fair well against the Penguins (1-5).

Bad news: They have only give up one PP goal on the road out of 33 chances.  Overall, they have given up less goals than the Pens, Ducks, Wings, Caps and Sharks.  They are 4-1-2 on the road and are 3-0 against Atlantic teams.

Also, Bissonnette has been placed on waivers.  We will know by noon today if he clears...

http://emedia.citizensvoice.com/Peng...2/Default.aspx
Merman1983
Old School Member

Master of the figure-four leglock

« Reply #1 on: Nov 15, 2008 at 10:46 »

Also...

Penguins Notebook: Third jerseys make season debut vs. Sabres
Saturday, November 15, 2008
By Shelly Anderson, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
At a quick glance, it looked as if maybe the Buffalo Sabres, the Penguins' opponent tonight, was on the ice at Mellon Arena yesterday afternoon.

But the Sabres were at home getting ready to play Columbus. The team skating was the Penguins, decked out in blue practice gear.

Tonight, they will unveil their new third jerseys in powder blue with dark blue accents. They surfaced last year for the Winter Classic played New Year's Day in Buffalo and harken to the club's original colors from the 1960s and '70s before the black-and-gold scheme was adopted in 1980.

For goaltenders Marc-Andre Fleury and Dany Sabourin, yesterday gave them a chance to skate and field shots in masks they had designed for the Winter Classic. Fleury got hurt before that game, and Ty Conklin played that entire game, a 2-1 shootout win over the Sabres.

"It's pretty simple. I like it," Fleury said of his alternate mask, which is mostly blue and yellow and features an old Penguins logo, his No. 29, the date of the Winter Classic, initials honoring his four deceased grandparents and a fleur-de-lis on the chin.

"I got lots of comments from the guys."

Sabourin's is even more simple, mostly blue and white, and patterned after one worn by Dunc Wilson when he played for the Penguins in the late 1970s.

"I saw a picture from back then," Sabourin said. "I like it. It's nice to go with the old-time style."

Structurally, the masks are the same as they are accustomed to, made from the molds the goaltenders used for their regular masks.

The Penguins will wear the third jerseys at select home games through the season.

If there's a nicer jersey in the league, I haven't seen it.
PghSteel-43
Old School Member

« Reply #2 on: Nov 15, 2008 at 11:27 »

I just purchased my Sid powder blue the other day and I have a gut feeling I'm getting a Malkin one for Christmas.  I guess I will be switching off and on for each home game?  IMO, they are the best looking jersey's in the league.  Love the old-school look.  I would love to find one with Larouche on the back of the jersey.

From what I'm hearing, Fleury's mask is still sporting the same yellow that was on the his old pads.  I'm anxious to see Sabourin's mask during warm-ups patterned after Wilson's old mask. 

PghSteel-43
Old School Member

« Reply #3 on: Nov 16, 2008 at 01:35 »

Wow, what a game.  It was looking scary there for two periods, but four goals in a eight minute span during the third period made that go away.

Where to begin?

It's looking like Jordan Staal is finally coming around and he is finally using his size to his advantage, putting himself in front of a net and shooting away.  Hopefully he can keep it up.

Alex Goligoski proving time and time again why he deserves to be at the NHL level and not in the AHL or sitting on a bench at the NHL level by scoring a very important and beautiful goal while on the PP and assisting on Malkin's goal while on the PP.  Moving the puck very well, getting shots on net and playing solid defense.  What else can you ask for?  Even if it were from a veteran defenseman, what else could you ask for?

Matt Cooke was on a mission tonight.  Throwing the body around all night long, hustling non-stop and picking up an assist on Staal's first goal.

Fleury bouncing back after being pulled last game, played lights out.

Malkin putting up four assists tonight.

Crosby was quiet for the most part, although his pass to Goligoski was nice.

Good to see Fedotenko get a goal and one assist and continue to contribute, same with Kennedy who had one assist and Sykora with two assists.

The only guy who was not very impressive and it's not the first time or the last I'm sure, was Satan.  He doesn't bother digging for the pucks.  It doesn't appear that he is even trying.  He rarely wins a battle and comes away with the puck.  Zero points tonight when the whole damn roster was putting up points.  At times, he has shown signs of promise, but for the most part, he has been subpar and inconsistent, particularly while playing 5 on 5.

Overall, great win.  Very impressive win in my opinion.  Bring on the Wild.

« Last Edit: Nov 16, 2008 at 01:38 by PghSteel-43 » Logged
whitmer_87
Brownstains can suck my Member

« Reply #4 on: Nov 16, 2008 at 07:09 »

I got stuck at work for a 15 hour shit...needless to say I missed the damn game. Glad the Pens made it 6 in a row, judging purely from the highlights it looks like Staal and Goligoski played well. Glad we pulled things together and didn't play another 3 point game. Not that the game against Detroit really counts since they're in the west, but it's still nice to get things done in regulation.

Love the jerseys! And MAF's mask was friggin' sick. I gotta get me one of those powder blues.

"The duty of the comedian is to find out where the line is drawn, and cross it deliberately."-George Carlin
Merman1983
Old School Member

Master of the figure-four leglock

« Reply #5 on: Nov 16, 2008 at 10:12 »

Cooke was awesome last night. Not sure who mentioned it here he'd be a fan favorite, but it surely coming. His assist to Staal was already mentioned, and he hustled and took an elbowing penalty that I believe lead to the Pens first goal.

Goligoski is the real deal on the PP. Seems so natural out there. Good luck to alot of the vets keeping that guy off the ice.

Agree with the points on Satan. Only time he's been worth a damn this year is on the PP. The guy can still hit the back of the net I guess but he's got no juice in his step.

Geno is God. Last year I believed he was the best player in hockey, and he's done nothing to change that view. Seems to be spending more time in the defensive zone on the fore-check, playing more physical overall, and seems to be more unselfish with the puck as well. His assist to Fedontenko on the rush when he stared down Sykora and dropped it off at the last second was jawdropping.
« Last Edit: Nov 16, 2008 at 10:14 by Merman1983 » Logged
PghSteel-43
Old School Member

« Reply #6 on: Nov 16, 2008 at 10:32 »

Cooke was awesome last night. Not sure who mentioned it here he'd be a fan favorite, but it surely coming. His assist to Staal was already mentioned, and he hustled and took an elbowing penalty that I believe lead to the Pens first goal.

I believe that was me and Captain Chaos.  I felt he could bring more offensive ability to the table for less money and felt he would be a solid replacement for Ruutu.  Plus, he's a joker.  He keeps the lockerroom loose.  I also felt Godard would be a solid replacement for Laraque, he hasn't proven me wrong yet.

Goligoski is the real deal on the PP. Seems so natural out there. Good luck to alot of the vets keeping that guy off the ice.

Imagine what he's going to look like by the time Gonchar get's back.  He's only going to get better and better.  It's beautiful.  Some fans have always complained that we never brought up good defensemen through our farm team, well you have one in Goligoski.  Play him.

Agree with the points on Satan. Only time he's been worth a damn this year is on the PP. The guy can still hit the back of the net I guess but he's got no juice in his step.

I'm glad you are seeing it, because many in the media are still praising the guy for scoring on the PP.  I guess that's the only quality you need in order to play on a NHL first line?  At least in Pittsburgh it seems.  Nevermind his half-ass play while 5 on 5?  I don't get it, but oh well.  I'm still holding out hope that he will be replaced by a legitimate scoring winger who brings it EVERY night.
Captain Chaos
Old School Member

Underachieving Member

« Reply #7 on: Nov 16, 2008 at 12:09 »

Satan's play is exactly the thing Islander fans warned us of when we signed him. He was certainly not a fan favorite when he left Long Island and they were happy to show him the door. I'm starting to wish they'd put Dupuis back on the first line. At least he hustles and fights for pucks along the boards. With Sid and Max, Pascal would make that a high energy line at the very least. Having said that, I still don't think that the answer is currently in the Pens system. It's going to take a trade to find a wingman for Sid.

On the flip side, I've been impressed by Fedotenko's hustle and he seems to be fitting nicely in Ryan Malone's old spot. Just be in the right place when Malkin has the puck and good things will happen.

I loved the Cooke signing from the get and he hasn't disappointed. That third line is all about puck possession and they can eat up valuable time when we get a lead. I don't think Cooke is as big of an agitator as Ruutu but he's a better overall hockey player. Another plus, Cooke dosn't put the team in bad situations by taking stupid penalties like Ruutu does. I also like what Zigomanis brings to the team. The outcome may have been a little different last spring if we could have won a face-off or two against the Wings.

I like the powder blues but it took a while to recognize the players without looking at the numbers. I'm so accustomed to the black and gold, it was an adjustment.

Just one man's opinion.

"It's a big game because it's the next game." - Mike Tomlin
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: