Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Oct 30, 2014 at 10:16 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wild vs Pens  (Read 872 times)
PghSteel-43
Old School Member

« on: Nov 17, 2008 at 23:23 »

Fleury is definately out for tonight's game. He is listed as day-to-day and Therrien stated that, "It's not a major injury. We just don't want to take a risk.".

For the Wild, Gaborik is out (shocker), Foster is out and Mojzis is day-to-day.

Boucher will get the start tonight. We might want to stay out of the box as much as possible tonight, the Wild have the third best PP in the league and while we are it we may want to keep an eye out on Belanger, who tends to play well against the Penguins.

Also, the 35 year old Brunette is playing some good hockey this year with Koivu putting up points in the assist column. While Miettinen has six goals, he only has one in his last ten games, let's make it one in his last eleven. Hopefully he doesn't heat back up against us tonight.

Backstrom is going to be a test tonight. He has allowed two or fewer goals in 66 of his 108 career starts and given up four or more just 14 times.  This season he is 10-3-1, has won three out of his last four and has allowed only five goals over that span. Also, if we happen to be down at the end of two (which is very possible with this team), it could be very interesting. Backstrom has a 43-0-3 lifetime record when the Wild lead after two. The Wild have won the past three games at the Igloo.

Finally, look out for a Godard vs Boogaard fight tonight.
« Last Edit: Nov 18, 2008 at 00:23 by PghSteel-43 » Logged
whitmer_87
Brownstains can suck my Member

« Reply #1 on: Nov 18, 2008 at 09:25 »

Nice analysis. I'm really excited for this match up tonight. Backstrom has been lights out every time I've seen him play, it'll be interesting to see how many we put up tonight.

They have the best PK in the league this year as well as a good PP. We have to score even strength tonight, can't rely on the pp.

Gaborik must be made of glass. He played 77 games last season, but that's the most since the 2002-03 season. Guy's made of glass. At first his injury appeared to be a day-to-day thing, but he's on IR. On a contract year too. Guy just can't stay healthy. It's a shame too cause he's a great player when he's healthy, but I'm not too broken up about that tonight.

Lets go Pens!

"The duty of the comedian is to find out where the line is drawn, and cross it deliberately."-George Carlin
PghSteel-43
Old School Member

« Reply #2 on: Nov 18, 2008 at 10:08 »

I'm just hoping we stay away from the whole "we can come back after being down three goals" attitude in this game. I know some fans do not care if we go down three goals because we will automatically come back every time, but I believe the Wild are one of those teams you should probably just put away early.

Eitherway, I can't imagine it being a very fast paced game.  They just love shutting down the neutral zone and playing the trap (Zzz Zzz).  The Pens tend to struggle with teams who clog up the neutral zone.  We are going to need some smart, crisp breakout passes from our d-men and look to the PP for a few goals tonight because they are not going to come easy while playing 5 on 5.
PghSteel-43
Old School Member

« Reply #3 on: Nov 18, 2008 at 10:13 »

Penguins recall minor league goalie
Tuesday, November 18, 2008
By Shelly Anderson , Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

The Penguins today recalled goaltender John Curry, who presumably will back up Dany Sabourin tonight against the Minnesota Wild at Mellon Arena.

No. 1 goaltender Marc-Andre Fleury did not participate in the team's morning skate. He will not play tonight and is listed as day-to-day with an undisclosed injury, believed to be a lower-body problem stemming from the third period Saturday in a win over Buffalo.

Curry was 3-4 with a 3.36 goals-against average and an .897 save percentage for Wilkes-Barre/Scranton of the American Hockey League this season. He joined the Penguins in time for the morning skate.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08323/928818-100.stm
whitmer_87

« Reply #4 on: Nov 18, 2008 at 17:25 »

You're absolutely right, we can't go down big early in the game and expect to come back every time. Especially against a team like Minnesota. The good thing about playing a western conference team is a 3 point game doesn't really matter to us. I hate giving teams like Philly and a point cause we cant take care of business in regulation. Especially with the amount of parity in the East the past couple a seasons. Obviously I want the win, but worst case scenario we get a point tonight.

"The duty of the comedian is to find out where the line is drawn, and cross it deliberately."-George Carlin
whitmer_87

« Reply #5 on: Nov 18, 2008 at 18:45 »

We looked good that period. It's a shame we scored on ourselves, it would have been nice to go into intermission up one. Defense was solid, and we got a couple a decent chances.

whitmer_87

« Reply #6 on: Nov 18, 2008 at 20:48 »

I think we played some pretty damn good defensive hockey tonight. It blows we gave them their only goal, probably would have been different if we hadn't, but at least we got a point. I feel like we out played them, and they're a pretty good team. Would have been nice to take it at home, but it's not the end of the world.

PghSteel-43
Old School Member

« Reply #7 on: Nov 19, 2008 at 09:32 »

Well, that game was boring as all hell.  The Wild can take their system and shove it.  The Penguins can keep the $132.00 dollars in tickets, but the Wild can give back the three hours of my life.  It's horrible hockey and not the way the game is suppose to be played.

It sucks that we dropped two points at home.  I have no problem settling for one on the road, but at home and off of a cheap goal makes it even worse.  Two points would have put us three points behind the leading New York Rangers and we would have also passed the Bruins in the overall conference standing. 

When I wasn't dosing off in my seats last night or attempting to slit my wrists with a plastic butter knife, I was watching the defense play excellent hockey at both ends and the offense unable to put it away.  Minus Cooke going to the net, paying the price and getting a goal, we couldn't put the puck away.

Oh well, on to Atlanta and I'm going to miss that game.  I will be at Heinz Field on Thursday night.  I was kind of looking forward to seeing Colby and Christensen again, but I figure I only get to attend ten Steeler home games a season (not including playoff games and counting preseason games) compared to the Penguins with 43 home games (not including playoff games and counting preseason games).  So, I'll take the Steelers this week.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: