Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Apr 19, 2014 at 14:49 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sydor Traded  (Read 661 times)
PghSteel-43
Old School Member

« on: Nov 16, 2008 at 09:40 »

Penguins trade Sydor, acquire defenseman Boucher
Sunday, November 16, 2008
By Dave Molinari, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

The Penguins have traded defenseman Darryl Sydor to Dallas for defenseman Philippe Boucher.

Boucher, 35, is a righthanded shot who has no goals and three assists in 16 games with the Stars.

Sydor, 36, played in eight of the Penguins' first 17 games, recording one goal and one assist. He won a Stanley Cup with the Stars in 1999.

Both players have a salary-cap hit of $2.5 million this season and will be unrestricted free agents next summer.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08321/928476-100.stm
PghSteel-43
Old School Member

« Reply #1 on: Nov 16, 2008 at 10:05 »

Not a bad move at all in my opinion for a few reasons...

1 - Sydor wanted out, he's out. I can't blame the guy for wanting to leave.

2 - It's better than getting a seventh round pick which normally amounts to nothing.

3 - While he's only a year younger than Sydor, he has also played 500 less games than Sydor. He also brings a bigger frame than Sydor.

4 - He was injured a good bit last season, but in 06-07 he put up over 50 points, including 19 goals.

Also, while Sydor did not come here and play spectacular hockey, I tip my hat to him for not crying to the media, becoming a cancer or having his agent issue statements to the media about how he feels his client is underappreciated (Mark Recchi).

I wish the guy the best down in Dallas.
Captain Chaos
Old School Member

Underachieving Member

« Reply #2 on: Nov 16, 2008 at 12:14 »

Meh, instead of Sydor being the odd-man out, now it'll be Boucher. Being a right handed shot may mean getting Malkin off the point on powerplays though. One can only hope!

Just one man's opinion.

"It's a big game because it's the next game." - Mike Tomlin
PghSteel-43
Old School Member

« Reply #3 on: Nov 17, 2008 at 09:29 »

Defenseman acquired from Dallas should bolster Penguins' special teams
Monday, November 17, 2008
By Dave Molinari, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

It wouldn't be wise for the Penguins to assume Philippe Boucher can be the player he was two seasons ago, when he piled up 19 goals and claimed a spot in the NHL All-Star Game.

But they can't rule out the possibility entirely, either.

Sure, Boucher -- acquired from Dallas for Penguins defenseman Darryl Sydor yesterday -- is 35 years old, and his only points in 16 appearances this season have been three assists. None of that suggests he's likely to have a major impact with the Penguins.

Still, adding an experienced, right-handed shot to their power play certainly can't hurt, and Boucher is responsible enough defensively that he shouldn't be a liability in his own zone, either.

"A guy like him who can move the puck and also shoot the puck well certainly can help us," Penguins general manager Ray Shero said. "And we can help him."

Just being back at work on a regular basis seems to be helping Boucher quite a bit. He was limited to 38 games last season because of two shoulder injuries, then hurt his hip in the playoffs and missed training camp this fall because of a toe problem.

All that time off seemed to be reflected in his early season production -- he had one point in the Stars' first 12 games -- but Boucher had two assists in his final four appearances with Dallas.

"I've felt much better the last couple of games," he said. "It's not where it was a couple of years ago, obviously, where I was on the first power play for most of the time, but I've felt good.

"My shot is coming and my vision is getting better. I'm more into the swing of things by being in the lineup all the time."

The only game he sat out this season was the Stars' 3-2 victory in Phoenix Saturday, when the trade had been worked out and the Penguins asked that Boucher not dress to avoid any chance of him being injured.

The deal won't have an impact on the Penguins' salary-cap situation because Boucher, like Sydor, carries a $2.5 million hit. Both are scheduled to be unrestricted free agents in July.

Boucher and Penguins coach Michel Therrien were together briefly in the early 1990s, when Therrien was an assistant coach to Bob Hartley in the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League. But even though those two know each other, Boucher has yet to be briefed on the details of his role here.

It's virtually certain, though, that he'll be given an audition on one of the power-play units. Boucher not only is a right-handed shot -- Kris Letang is the only other Penguins defenseman who is not a lefty -- but has a history of contributing on both special teams, as well as at even-strength.

With Sergei Gonchar and Ryan Whitney out, long-term, while recovering from operations, the Penguins' usual point men are two young defensemen (Letang and Alex Goligoski) with 106 games of NHL experience between them, center Evgeni Malkin and rugged defenseman Brooks Orpik, whose finesse game remains a bit unrefined.

Adding Boucher to that group should, at the very least, help to reduce the number of short-handed goals the Penguins allow. They have given up five, third-most in the league, in their first 17 games.

Although Boucher is 6 feet 3, 221 pounds, he is not regarded as a punishing hitter. He can, however, use his size effectively.

"He's not a soft guy," Shero said. "That may have been his reputation when he came into the league a long time ago, but he's a big body and will play somewhat physically. He's not a killer or anything like that. He's not going to take over [Orpik's] job, but he gets in the lanes, gets in the way."

Boucher said he did not ask to be traded and had little advance warning that he would be, but wasn't surprised that the Stars made a move, given their disappointing 6-8-3 start.

"Obviously, with a struggling team, something's [going] to happen," he said. "You never know where it's going to come from, but I wasn't surprised."

The Penguins, winners of six consecutive games, had no such urgency to alter their lineup, but Sydor had made it known to management that he wasn't happy about spending so many game nights in street clothes.

He didn't complain publicly, though, and remained a positive presence in the locker room. Sydor's intangibles might well have been a factor in the Stars' decision to bring him back.

"He's honestly one of the most professional guys I've been around," Shero said. "He did a great job here with our kids. ... Going back to familiar surroundings, to people who know him, might be best for him."

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08322/928583-61.stm
PghSteel-43
Old School Member

« Reply #4 on: Nov 17, 2008 at 09:30 »

What's up with Darryl Sydor trade?
Monday, November 17, 2008
Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Question: Can you offer any explanation for the Darryl Sydor trade? This seems like a completely lateral, if not backward, trade for the Penguins. Both Sydor and Philippe Boucher are older players who are past their primes, have the same cap hit and have been healthy scratches recently. I assume Boucher will be getting the same lack of playing time Sydor received. The only thing they seem to have gained is a right-handed shot, but looking at Boucher's point totals, he doesn't seem to use it much. I always thought the plan with Sydor was to trade him for some of the missing pieces later in the year. Did Ray Shero realize he wasn't going to get anything for Sydor? Is there something the scouting staff saw in a 35-year-old that no one else has seen in his 18 years in the league? Do you think the Penguins will be able to get the same value out of Boucher at the deadline they would have from Sydor, even if it wasn't going to be much?

Aaron Josephson, Boston

MOLINARI: First of all, understand that this deal was not envisioned as a epic transaction by either team; it was an exchange of defensemen who are in the latter stages of their careers and could be rejuvenated by a change of scenery. Or, in Sydor's case, the opportunity to actually dress for more than half of his team's games. (Boucher, conversely, was a healthy scratch Saturday for the first time this season, and only because the trade already had been worked out and Dallas didn't want to risk having him get injured.)

That said, Sydor wasn't likely to rise above No. 6 on the Penguins' defensive depth chart unless there were more injuries on their blue line, and he was that high mostly because Mark Eaton has not performed to expectations for most of this season. Boucher, conversely, gives the Penguins a second right-handed shot on defense (Kris Letang is the other) and has a long history of being productive from the point.

It's true that he had no goals and three assists in 16 games this season, but it's also true that he piled up 19 goals and earned a place in the NHL All-Star Game two seasons ago. It probably is unrealistic to expect Boucher to return to that level at age 35, but his mere presence on the point could help the power play. Or, at the very least, enable the Penguins to reduce the number of shorthanded goals they allow.

Whether dealing Sydor at the deadline in an effort to address some of the Penguins' personnel needs was the front office's long-term plan isn't known -- general manager Ray Shero and his staff don't make a habit of briefing outsiders on their trade strategies -- but he was a candidate to be moved at some point if the Penguins were satisfied with their depth on defense. He was not, however, likely to command a price higher than a late-round draft choice, let alone the top-six winger the Penguins need.

While it would not be prudent for the Penguins to count on Boucher to have a major impact on how the rest of their season plays out, there is enough about him -- the right-handed shot, the history of productivity -- to suggest that it isn't entirely out of the question. In the worst-case scenario, he can give the team the same kind of depth and insurance Sydor provided, so the potential rewards seem considerably greater than the possible risks.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08322/928493-125.stm
PghSteel-43
Old School Member

« Reply #5 on: Nov 17, 2008 at 23:19 »

Boucher adds plenty for Penguins
By Tricia Lafferty
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Philippe Boucher has a reputation for being an offensive defenseman.

Following his first practice in Pittsburgh on Monday, the newest Penguin denied the claim.

"I don't label myself as an offensive guy," Boucher said. "I had really good offensive seasons in Dallas over the past couple years, but I bring more than just a power-play presence."

Sunday's trade, which sent Darryl Sydor to the Dallas Stars in exchange for Boucher, was likely made with the power-play struggles in mind, but Boucher has quickly earned another reputation in the Penguins' locker room.

"He's got a great shot, and he's a steady defender," defenseman Hal Gill said. "So we'll take it."

Boucher is a rarity on the Penguins' defense, considering he'll join Kris Letang as the only two right-handed defensemen. That can come in handy if Boucher plays the point on the power play, which is ranked 13th at 19.8 percent.

"We have another right-handed (shooting) defenseman -- they're very rare in the NHL," coach Michel Therrien said. "Two years ago, he was one of the best defensemen in the league. (He's) gonna help the power play. He's good on both sides of the ice. I believe it's a good addition."

Boucher can also improve the Penguins' penalty kill, which has given up five short-handed goals, third worst in the NHL. The Penguins allowed back-to-back short-handed goals by Flyers forward Simon Gagne last week.

It's instances like those that Boucher hopes to prevent from happening.

"I took a lot of pride in Dallas and in LA when I was used in some defensive situations," Boucher said. "I take a lot of pride in killing penalties and taking on the top lines over the past few years in Dallas."

Boucher spent the past five seasons with Dallas. His best performance came in 2006-07, when he recorded 19 goals and 32 assists. Twelve of those goals and 19 of those assists came on the power play.

Last year, Boucher played in only 38 games as he battling a shoulder injury. In 16 games with the Stars this season, Boucher has recorded just three assists.

The 16-year NHL veteran and the oldest player in the Penguins' locker room at 35 is ready for a fresh start. He's glad to be in Pittsburgh and reunited with Therrien, who was his assistant coach in 1991-92 in the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League.

"Once I realized I might be moving, in my mind there was no better place than here to come," Boucher said. "When I found out through my agent where it was, that's the team I was hoping I was coming to. I hope everything works out."

No one was happier than Boucher's 10-year-old son Matthew, who already owns Sidney Crosby and Evgeni Malkin jerseys.

"My son has been watching the Penguins for a long time," Boucher said. "He's fired up. He wants to come watch some games."

Notes: It was initially reported that center Evgeni Malkin - who has recorded an assist in 13 consecutive games - is chasing Mario Lemieux's record of 14 straight games with an assist. However, there was a mistake in the Penguins' media guide, and Malkin will actually have to surpass Jaromir Jagr's franchise record of recording an assist in 16 consecutive games in 2000-01. ... An unfamiliar face was in goal during the Penguins' practice Monday. Joe Tuset, a Robert Morris assistant hockey coach and a former goaltender for the university, filled in as the extra goalie because Fleury could not suit up. If Fleury is not able to back up Sabourin tonight, the Penguins will have to recall a goalie from the Wilkes Barre/Scranton Penguins. "I got the phone call Sunday, and next thing you know, I'm here in this locker room," Tuset said. "You dream of playing in the NHL one day, and it kind of worked out that I didn't play, but I got to practice. That's good enough for me. I'll always remember this opportunity."

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_598923.html
PghSteel-43
Old School Member

« Reply #6 on: Nov 19, 2008 at 23:42 »

Therrien on recently acquired defenseman Philippe Boucher, who logged more than 21 minutes and registered an even-rating in his Penguins debut Tuesday: "I'm more than satisfied. He's a great addition for our club. He adds a presence physically and makes a good first pass, and he's got a cannon out there when he shoots the puck." 

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_599287.html
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: