Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Apr 21, 2014 at 00:11 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hardwood Floors  (Read 2185 times)
otismalibu
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« on: Nov 21, 2008 at 10:31 »

Or fake hardwood floors.

Anyone install any hardwood laminate products lately. All of our upstairs carpet needs to be replaced, but we're not going to opt for carpet in the office this time.

Took a quick glance at Lowe's a few days back at the snap together shit. Was eyeing the stuff with the foam already on back.

vinman3
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Master of the Obvious

« Reply #1 on: Nov 21, 2008 at 10:44 »

We did a nice wood laminate for our kitchen/dining room area. Looks really nice, and is holding up. One plank per board. We had a three plank per board laminate in our kitchen before, and I didn't like the look of it. The one that has each individual plank is much nicer IMO.

It's a hot night. The mind races. You think about your knife; the only friend who hasn't betrayed you, the only friend who won't be dead by sun up. Sleep tight, mates, in your quilted Chambray nightshirts.
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #2 on: Nov 21, 2008 at 13:29 »

Laminates do a much better job of holding up to traffic; are more durable; require less maintenance; and are easier to install.

Hardwood floors might look a little nicer and are considered pluses if you're looking to sell, but sooner or later, ya gotta refinish 'em. 

Honestly, I think it really comes down to price and preference.  Some people just view laminates as "cheap" and some see them as just as good as hardwood.  Laminates can usually be done (depending on how easy a room you have) by a mildly handy homeowner while hardwood floors generally require professional installation, hence increased costs.

The one thing I'll tell you is to consider is the noise.  If you're going to install either on a second floor, it'll get a lot more noisy on the first floor.  Carpets can be a PIA, but they serve as a kind of sound deadener.

Hope this post helped to confuse you even further.  You're welcome.

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #3 on: Nov 21, 2008 at 13:36 »

A couple of different people in my neighborhood installed laminate themselves.  Looks really nice.  They made it look easy.

I've refinished hardwood before.  It's a job.

Have installed neither.

"I like David Bowie, he was always my favorite member of Tin Machine."
- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
otismalibu
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #4 on: Nov 21, 2008 at 13:44 »

This is just an upstairs bedroom we use as an office. The only traffic is usually someone sitting at the computer.

We still have the shitty carpet that the builder put in (model home) upstairs. Rolling the chair back and forth in front of the computer didn't help the carpet, even though we did have chair mat down.

We'll still end up putting something on the floor in front of the computer, so the chair isn't rolling directly on the new floor. That could get a little loud. Other than that, I'm not too worried about the sound.

Might have to mute the videos though.

Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #5 on: Nov 21, 2008 at 14:26 »

We have hardwoods which, when we bought in 2000, were OK, but now...  The poly's peeling up, and the dog is hard on the floors.  The LR and DR need redone badly.  Most of the upstairs is OK (pulled up carpet in my den, floors look good; hallways have runners; BRs might need redone sometime).

I've done home projects every year, but this one is one I dread.  Not the sanding, dust, staining and polying per se... More like, I gotta move all that furniture, wait for stuff to dry, figure out the traffic logistics while stuff is drying that will allow animals to get to where they need to go...  It would almost make sense to do 1/2 of the LR and 1/2 of the DR, and then switch to the other halves.  Not sure how the overlap areas would look, though.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #6 on: Nov 21, 2008 at 14:45 »

I can't imagine refinishing while still living there.  My only time was before we moved into a house, or maybe after but the rooms were empty.

"I like David Bowie, he was always my favorite member of Tin Machine."
- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #7 on: Nov 21, 2008 at 16:18 »

We have hardwoods which, when we bought in 2000, were OK, but now...  The poly's peeling up, and the dog is hard on the floors.  The LR and DR need redone badly.  Most of the upstairs is OK (pulled up carpet in my den, floors look good; hallways have runners; BRs might need redone sometime).

I've done home projects every year, but this one is one I dread.  Not the sanding, dust, staining and polying per se... More like, I gotta move all that furniture, wait for stuff to dry, figure out the traffic logistics while stuff is drying that will allow animals to get to where they need to go...  It would almost make sense to do 1/2 of the LR and 1/2 of the DR, and then switch to the other halves.  Not sure how the overlap areas would look, though.

Consider a polyacrylic instead of polyurethane.  It has more of a matte finish (even though it's called "glossy") as opposed to the typical high gloss, glassy look of polyurethane, but it dries in a coupla hours.  Supposedly, it's more durable too.

That's what we did in the LR to make it look nicey nice for listing.  Easy.  Quick.  3 coats.  1 day.  OK for foot traffic in a few hours, IIRC and furniture was back in the room within 24 hours.

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
Big Virgil
Old School Member

« Reply #8 on: Nov 24, 2008 at 08:26 »

I have absolutely nothing to offer on selection or installation.

If most of the house/upstairs is carpet, it might look funky, in a selling situation, if one room is hard wood/laminate and every thing else is carpet.

Just trying to complicate the issue!!!!!

Looks like you've been missing a lot of work lately.
I wouldn't say I've been *missing* it, Bob.
otismalibu
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #9 on: Nov 24, 2008 at 08:48 »

If most of the house/upstairs is carpet, it might look funky, in a selling situation, if one room is hard wood/laminate and every thing else is carpet.

The foyer downstairs is hardwood and the split staircase is as well. There are still two other bedrooms plus the master upstairs, so I think we can spare one. It will always be the office / Dr. J. room, so I like the hardwood look.

And...there's an unfinished basement. So if some breeders want to buy it, they can build a pen below.

I didn't realize they make a laminate cutter. I was thinking I'd have to run down to the garage each time I wanted to make a cut. Hopefully, I can rent one of those deals. I'll be hitting up my neighbor for all the tools necessary.
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: