Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Nov 28, 2014 at 03:58 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Parker - Buy low/sell high?  (Read 870 times)
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« on: Nov 21, 2008 at 12:44 »

I posted this on another board, but I figured I'd throw it out there here to see how others feel about this too.

Let me first say that I'm a very, very big fan of #39.  I love to see any guy that makes a team the hard way as a UDFA and produces, I mean really produces, for his team.  He's far from just roster filler.  He's a top tier RB.

With that said and considering the depth of RB talent on this roster, I would be willing to explore a WP trade for a quality lineman.  That's pretty much the only position I'd be willing to take in return with maybe an outside chance at a quality CB. 

There have to be teams out there that would jump at the opportunity to have him (especially when you consider he's currently signed at a bargain price), but I would only do it if they could get a young, stud lineman; preferrably a OT.  I wouldn't just give him away.

It would take some research to see what team (Tampa?  Denver?  Cincy?) out there would be willing to make that kind of move and has a lineman that Pittsburgh could use, but I don't have the time ATM to pour over rosters and find a good match.

Again, love FWP, but with Mendenhall coming back next year; Moore showing he can be a game changer; and Russell seemingly coming into his own as I thought he would, there's quite the logjam at RB.  It seems like a good opportunity to sell high (well, it might not be that high considering his recent spat of injuries) and concurrently help to fix a problem that's been lingering for several years now.  You know, strike while the iron's hot 'n all that.

Let me emphasize one more time, I only make that kind of move if they can get a quality OT back in the deal.

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #1 on: Nov 21, 2008 at 13:19 »

I agree with the idea, but no way do I trade FWP to a division rival (Cinci).  No effin way.  And I doubt a team interested would pull the trigger on a straight-up player trade for a top lineman.  More likely, we'd be talking picks, and given FWP's age (28, not bad), productivity (excellent), and injury history (downgrade), we should be able to get a high draft pick and snag a top OT. 

Most of the teams that look to be headed to the top 10 of the draft, and aren't divvy rivals, oddly enough don't have glaring need at RB.  Lions (0 wins, Kevin Smith); Chiefs (1 win, LJ, but might look down the road); Bengals (1 win, no trade); Seahawks (2 wins, picked up Julius Jones, might be a trade partner); Rams (2 wins, SJ); Raiders (2 wins, some kid with turf toe); 49ers (3 wins, Gore); Texans (3 wins, Slaton).  Of those, the Chiefs and Seahawks look most promising, with the Chiefs the better option.  But I have to think they're looking for a QB this year, and I think the Hags will stick with Jones. 

That means a latter-portion of the round pick.  If we could get a R1 and a later round, that would still be potentially worthwhile, grab 2 linemen in R1, and maybe package the later pick to get another R2 or R3.

The other thing in all this is the FO.  Trading players ain't their style, and Colbert isn't a think-outside-the-whatever kinda guy.  They gots their rules, and they stick to them.

An interesting intellectual exercise, though.  What would you want in draft picks for Willie?  What would teams realistically give?

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #2 on: Nov 21, 2008 at 14:11 »

Yeah, when I initially posted the scenario, I included a team like the Bengals only because they're really hurtin' at RB and I kinda liked how Collins looked last night.  So, naturally, my thought process kinda evolved to, "how much could Pittsburgh steal from Cincy for Parker?"  Collins and a R1 would be high, I think.  Collins and a R2...which will be basically the same as a late R1?

Gotta admit I stopped to think about that one.  Although, I couldn't see doing that to WP.  That would just be...cruel.

I probably should've mentioned the prospect of trading for picks, but I think people generally get turned off when you do that.  It's a little harder to see the intrinsic value in that kind of a deal as opposed to something like Parker for Floyd Womack...and a pick?  He's a UDFA after this year and the Hags might be willing to take something for him now instead of just losing him to FA.  The only time people really like to talk about players for picks is in April.

If a player for player/(pick) deal wouldn't work out, I guess you'd have to look to recent player for pick trades to see how players are valued on the market.  Dallas gave up, what, a R1 and R3 for Roy Williams?  Assume those will be somewhere in the mid round.  Could Pittsburgh get that for Parker?  Dunno.  Mebee.  Would a team like Denver be willing to fork over their mid-late R1 and a R3 for Parker?  Same.  Same.  I tend to lean towards probably not because Shanny thinks he can turn anybody into a RB.  This is the same dude that traded Portis for Bailey straight up.  Something I woulda done too, FWIW.

I guess like most trades, it's not whether the deal makes sense, it's whether you can find a (willing) partner.

If I get the chance later, I might try to put a little more thought to this and come up with something that would make sense from both sides.

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
give'emthaboot
Old School Member

« Reply #3 on: Nov 21, 2008 at 17:16 »

Interesting idea, but I think Willie has to finish out the year healthy for a team to even consider doing it.

Also, Finny, it seems like that Thigpen character seems to be working out ok in KC, thought it's hard to tell how high the organization is on him.

'Oh, my, James Harrison is not going to the White House, he must be a devil worshiper!'
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #4 on: Nov 23, 2008 at 17:32 »

Interesting idea, but I think Willie has to finish out the year healthy for a team to even consider doing it.

Also, Finny, it seems like that Thigpen character seems to be working out ok in KC, thought it's hard to tell how high the organization is on him.

Thigpen is OK, relative to what?

My guess is they will draft a QB high, unless they're idiots.  Which could be. 

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
give'emthaboot
Old School Member

« Reply #5 on: Nov 23, 2008 at 18:19 »

Thigpen is OK, relative to what?

My guess is they will draft a QB high, unless they're idiots.  Which could be. 

I suppose their draft position (top 3) vs. team needs may lead to them drafting a QB.  The way Thigpen is playing though, he seems to be the least of their problems, IMO.

'Oh, my, James Harrison is not going to the White House, he must be a devil worshiper!'
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: