Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Apr 20, 2014 at 06:16 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Molinari on the first quarter of the season  (Read 808 times)
PghSteel-43
Old School Member

« on: Nov 23, 2008 at 00:02 »

url=http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08328/930036-61.stm]http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08328/930036-61.stmhttp://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08328/930036-61.stm[/url]
PghSteel-43
Old School Member

« Reply #1 on: Nov 23, 2008 at 00:10 »

« Last Edit: Nov 23, 2008 at 00:42 by PghSteel-43 » Logged
Merman1983
Old School Member

Master of the figure-four leglock

« Reply #2 on: Nov 23, 2008 at 08:16 »

Good article overall, but I disagree with:

I'll admit I questioned the team's toughness coming into the season, but who out there isn't pleased with their perfomance thus far? He talks of losing Ruutu, but Cooke, when healthy, is a better overall player and he doesn't talk numbskull penalties.

Laraque? Godard has proven himself much more useful as an enforcer, and he skates and contributes offensively better than I expected.

Adam Hall? Please, Ziggy has stepped in and become the man on faceoffs and done well on the PK. He's been the perfect 4th line center.

Not to mention Sid is a gritty a superstar as they come. Kennedy, Orpik, Hal Gill, Letang. There's plenty of grit to go around.

My #1 concern coming into this season was that this team was going to be pushed around. And I haven't seen any signs of that happening yet.
Captain Chaos
Old School Member

Underachieving Member

« Reply #3 on: Nov 23, 2008 at 09:14 »

Although Janne Pesonen might not be the answer, giving him a chance to prove it wouldn't be a bad idea."

Vindication! Finally!

He hit the nail on the head with that one.  Although I have a better idea....instead of banking on Janne Pesonen to be the Penguins savior on the wing, let's look at some trade possibilities.  Particularly with Whitney returning.

Nobody, including Molinari or myself has stated that Janne Pesonen IS or EVER WILL BE the answer at wing, but he can't be any worse than the current wingers alongside Sid and Geno. How could we get any less produtcion from the position by giving Pessonen 5 or 6 games on one ot the top two lines. I really don't think giving him a shot on a top line is actually "banking" on him.

Just one man's opinion.

"It's a big game because it's the next game." - Mike Tomlin
PghSteel-43
Old School Member

« Reply #4 on: Nov 23, 2008 at 11:13 »

Good article overall, but I disagree with:

I'll admit I questioned the team's toughness coming into the season, but who out there isn't pleased with their perfomance thus far? He talks of losing Ruutu, but Cooke, when healthy, is a better overall player and he doesn't talk numbskull penalties.

Laraque? Godard has proven himself much more useful as an enforcer, and he skates and contributes offensively better than I expected.

Adam Hall? Please, Ziggy has stepped in and become the man on faceoffs and done well on the PK. He's been the perfect 4th line center.

Not to mention Sid is a gritty a superstar as they come. Kennedy, Orpik, Hal Gill, Letang. There's plenty of grit to go around.

My #1 concern coming into this season was that this team was going to be pushed around. And I haven't seen any signs of that happening yet.

Same here Merman.  This is not the first time I read Molinari bring up our lack of grit.  I don't get it and I'm not seeing it on the ice.  The first period of the Canucks games is a good example.  I do not recall this team being pushed around by the Flyers or any other team that tends to play a more physical style of hockey.  I only have one complaint about our grit and it WASN'T any different when we had Malone, Laraque and Ruutu.  This is just one game I'm using as an example.... 

During our meetings with the Capitals, we are watching players like Semin and Ovechkin take runs and cheap shots at Crosby and Malkin.  Instead of Godard/Laraque looking for Brashear, why not go after Semin and Ovechkin?  See if they like watching Ovechkin take a elbow to the skull or watching Semin take a butt end of a stick to the ribs or a slew foot in the corner.  I can never understand it and again, it's not just Godard and Cooke.  It was the same with Laraque and Ruutu.  Laraque was great when it came to fighting the oppositions heavyweights, but outside of fighting, the guy never threw out a bone jarring check or went after the oppositions star player or players.

I also do not understand Molinari's obsession with Adam Hall.  Did this guy come here and put up 30 goals without me knowing?  Did I miss something here?  I recall the guy being benched for a good number of games.  So he could win faceoffs, we arguably have the best faceoff man in the league in Zigomanis.  Tampa Bay can keep Adam Hall, his one goal, one assist and -1 rating.  I have been more than pleased with Mike Zigomanis.  I liked the signing when it occured and he hasn't let me down up to this point.  He's still leading the league in faceoff % and he's picked up five points on the way.

As for Ryan Malone, like I said before, that's why we have trade bait and trade deadline.  While Malone looks like hell in Tampa Bay and you couldn't pay me to take him back with that salary, I still feel we need to get another productive winger who shows up every night, can be counted on to play night in and night out instead of when he feels like it and can score 5 on 5 if we want to go far in the playoffs and win a Stanley Cup.  Molinari seems to feel we should give Pesonen a third shot.  I feel we should look for a PROVEN winger who currently plays at the NHL level and has been productive at the NHL level for a significant period of time.  Then, if Shero/Therrien feel the need to bring up Pesonen and they feel he's ready to produce at the NHL level, then go for it.  Up to this point though, apparently they do not feel he's ready to make that jump.  From what I've seen of the guy in camp, preseason and the regular season, I think I'll take Shero's and Therrien's call on this one. 
PghSteel-43
Old School Member

« Reply #5 on: Nov 25, 2008 at 12:32 »

BleedGreen710
Brownstains can suck my Member

« Reply #6 on: Nov 27, 2008 at 15:12 »

Janne Pesonen has been recalled from Wilkes-Barre Scranton.  Maybe he'll get his shot.

"Now that I'm here, I don't want to just be here, I want to be here for a long time." Hines Ward, 1998 3rd round draft pick.
PghSteel-43
Old School Member

« Reply #7 on: Nov 27, 2008 at 21:33 »

Third times a charm hopefully.

With the injury to Talbot, it was pretty much expected.  Unfortunately, it's looking like Talbot could be out for a significant period of time.  Taking a slapshot at point blank range to the inside of your skate tends to do some damage.  I'll take one Talbot over fifteen Pesonen's.
« Last Edit: Nov 27, 2008 at 22:14 by PghSteel-43 » Logged
PghSteel-43
Old School Member

« Reply #8 on: Nov 30, 2008 at 11:14 »

Bye-bye.....again.....

Penguins return Pesonen to farm team
Sunday, November 30, 2008
By Dave Molinari, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

The Penguins have returned forward Janne Pesonen to their farm team in Wilkes-Barre. Pesonen was recalled from the Baby Penguins Thursday as a precaution after forward Max Talbot took a shot off his left foot during the Penguins' 5-3 victory on Long Island the previous night. Pesonen dressed for the Penguins' 4-3 loss in Buffalo on Friday and their 4-1 victory against New Jersey last night at Mellon Arena, but he logged a total of just 13 minutes, 18 seconds of ice time and did not record a point.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08335/931830-100.stm
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: