Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Oct 26, 2014 at 02:53 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Alex Kovalev  (Read 904 times)
pensodyssey
Halfsharkalligator halfman.
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« on: Dec 01, 2008 at 17:12 »

As his stock plummets, I wonder if we can't steal him from Bob "Bad Trade" Gainey.  He's always been streaky, so his slump doesn't bother me that much. What's he worth?

A shabby Charlie Brown.
JackSplat
Jerk Store Proprietor
Old School Member

« Reply #1 on: Dec 02, 2008 at 00:21 »

do they even have the cap space to make such a move? Im sure it would be prorated, but Kovy is making 4.5M this year.

anyhoo, Kovy and a bag of funyuns for Dupuis/Eaton.  If thats no good I would gladly take the funyuns for Dupuis str8 up

Jerry, it's Frank Costanza, Mr.
Steinbrenner is here, George is dead, call me back!
pensodyssey
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #2 on: Dec 02, 2008 at 00:44 »

do they even have the cap space to make such a move? Im sure it would be prorated, but Kovy is making 4.5M this year.

anyhoo, Kovy and a bag of funyuns for Dupuis/Eaton.  If thats no good I would gladly take the funyuns for Dupuis str8 up

Dunno how the cap thing would work. Or who makes what, respectively. Still, lay off the message boarding, kid.  Dupey's a good hockey player. 

A shabby Charlie Brown.
PghSteel-43
Old School Member

« Reply #3 on: Dec 02, 2008 at 03:54 »

If Montreal is even willing to part with Kovalev, the Penguins were a team willing to give Marian Hossa 7.0-7.5 million a year during the offseason.  Instead, some of that money went towards Fedotenko and the majority went to Satan.  We would definately have to free up some cap room in order to bring in a $4.5 million a year player, but we can afford to do it if we send the right players back in the other direction.   

Personally, at $4.5 million a year, I want nothing to do with a 35 year old Kovalev.  Not so much because he has gone 13 straight games without a goal and he's inconsistent to say the least even though that is reason enough in my book, but because I would rather see us spend that 4.5 million (and trade bait) on a guy who was born after 1980, will be around for the long run and who also puts up points and has shown more consistency over his career. 

We already went out and got a Czech who's over 33 years old, is inconsistent, takes nights off, doesn't fight for the puck, can't win in the corners and who had three goals in the month of November for $3.5 million a year, do we really need a Russian one at $4.5 million a year? 

Please....no more.

« Last Edit: Dec 02, 2008 at 04:28 by PghSteel-43 » Logged
pensodyssey
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #4 on: Dec 02, 2008 at 09:39 »

If Montreal is even willing to part with Kovalev, the Penguins were a team willing to give Marian Hossa 7.0-7.5 million a year during the offseason.  Instead, some of that money went towards Fedotenko and the majority went to Satan.  We would definately have to free up some cap room in order to bring in a $4.5 million a year player, but we can afford to do it if we send the right players back in the other direction.   

Personally, at $4.5 million a year, I want nothing to do with a 35 year old Kovalev.  Not so much because he has gone 13 straight games without a goal and he's inconsistent to say the least even though that is reason enough in my book, but because I would rather see us spend that 4.5 million (and trade bait) on a guy who was born after 1980, will be around for the long run and who also puts up points and has shown more consistency over his career. 

We already went out and got a Czech who's over 33 years old, is inconsistent, takes nights off, doesn't fight for the puck, can't win in the corners and who had three goals in the month of November for $3.5 million a year, do we really need a Russian one at $4.5 million a year? 

Please....no more.

Ok, now that the most predictable response on the board has been posted...

A shabby Charlie Brown.
PghSteel-43
Old School Member

« Reply #5 on: Dec 02, 2008 at 13:43 »

You asked.  I'm sorry my answer was not up to your expectations or standards.

Is this better?

F-it, let's blow $4.5 million dollars a year on a guy who's at the tailend of his career and goes AWOL every other month.  It's not like we are a team that needs to watch our cap room or anything like that.  Particularly when we have to resign Letang and Staal in the near future.  I want to see this team go back to the ways of Craig Patrick.  Let's sign a few old farts who wore a Penguins jersey in the past and roll the dice on them. 

Forget trying to get a guy who's in the prime of his career, will be around for years to come, is consistent and who we don't have to worry about half-assing it night in and night out.  I want to see Shero go after a guy who we can sign for a year or two and then when he completely bombs in the second year of his contract (like Recchi did), we can wonder why we have the Pascal Dupuis' of the NHL on Sid's left wing and the Miroslav Satan's of the NHL on Sid's right wing and then we can have this conversation all over again in a year or two.

I'm not exactly sure how you want me to answer your proposal.  It's just my opinion and it doesn't matter.  Hell, maybe Shero is talking with Montreal management right now?  Who knows?  I'm just not crazy about Kovalev.  Not at $4.5 million a year and at his age. 

« Last Edit: Dec 02, 2008 at 13:52 by PghSteel-43 » Logged
pensodyssey
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #6 on: Dec 02, 2008 at 14:09 »

Your first answer was fine.  You didn't need to repeat yourself. 

I think Kovalev would play his stones off if he got a chance to comeback.  His age does not scare me in the least-- we're not talking about eClair and his back or Recchi and his feet of stone-- and if he performs at or near last year's level, he's a bargain at 4.5 per.  I loved him when he was here, and was sorry to see him go.  As I said above, he's always been streaky, so it's a crapshoot; but better the crap we know than the crap we don't.

FWIW I have no issue with Satan's performance.  Everytime i've had the opportunity to watch him he's put one away or had a helper.  Right now he's on pace for 64 points and 32 goals.  Not sure how much more you expected.  We all knew he was no Hossa.  Dupuis is Dupuis, not the most skill but he never stops working and pops up at clutch times (e.g. last year's playoffs). 

A shabby Charlie Brown.
PghSteel-43
Old School Member

« Reply #7 on: Dec 02, 2008 at 14:35 »

Your first answer was fine.  You didn't need to repeat yourself.

But predictable...lol.  Oh well. 

I think Kovalev would play his stones off if he got a chance to comeback.  His age does not scare me in the least-- we're not talking about eClair and his back or Recchi and his feet of stone-- and if he performs at or near last year's level, he's a bargain at 4.5 per.  I loved him when he was here, and was sorry to see him go.  As I said above, he's always been streaky, so it's a crapshoot; but better the crap we know than the crap we don't.

At $4.5 million a year, I'm not willing to take that gamble.  If he came cheaper, I would think about it.  That's an expensive crapshoot.

FWIW I have no issue with Satan's performance.  Everytime i've had the opportunity to watch him he's put one away or had a helper.  Right now he's on pace for 64 points and 32 goals.  Not sure how much more you expected.  We all knew he was no Hossa.  Dupuis is Dupuis, not the most skill but he never stops working and pops up at clutch times (e.g. last year's playoffs).

And I'm just going by what I've seen from the guy in person at every home game and while watching him on TV during every away game.  He shows signs of promise on some nights and the majority of the time he's half-assing it.  At times, it looks like he doesn't even want to bother working for the puck. He's inconsistent to say the least.  When you have Dave Molinari stating that your inconsistent, you know you have problems.  It's not like I'm expecting Marian Hossa numbers, but at $3.5 million a year, I'm expecting a little more than what I've seen up to this point every other night.  He can start by doing what's expected from every other player on that roster, hustling night in and night out.

As for Dupuis, I've stated on a number of occasions that I love the guy on a third or fourth line, but I do not like him playing with Sidney Crosby on the number one line.  The guy can't dish out a pass or hit the back of a empty net, let alone one with a goaltender in front of it.  Crosby sets him up and he can't put it away.

« Last Edit: Dec 02, 2008 at 14:37 by PghSteel-43 » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: