Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Jul 29, 2014 at 18:24 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 ... 4  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Worthy of it's own thread - Welker hit  (Read 2418 times)
DCSteelers
Old School Member

« on: Nov 30, 2008 at 23:23 »

I absolutely love this Welker hit - It was well worth the 15 yards to put the beat down on that team

pensodyssey
Halfsharkalligator halfman.
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #1 on: Nov 30, 2008 at 23:53 »

The penalty was nonexistant.  The ball was tipped.  Welker should thank his god that the ball never made it through, or else he'd be a head on a pillow right about now.

A shabby Charlie Brown.
PghSteel-43
Old School Member

« Reply #2 on: Dec 01, 2008 at 04:53 »

Welker, Patriots feel wrath -- pain -- of Steelers football

FOXBOROUGH, Mass. -- You could see it coming. You knew that Wes Welker was just seconds away from losing his senses, his head or both.

As Welker approached the middle of the field while running a crossing route, Pittsburgh Steelers safety Ryan Clark had a radar lock on him. The pass to Welker was thrown slightly in front of him, leaving Welker more than slightly vulnerable. Clark was going to take advantage of the dangerous throw by Matt Cassel.

Clark put a hit on Welker that caused anyone who saw it to violently gasp. Welker looked like one of those boardwalk whack-a-mole games. His body crumbled to the ground, and how he was able to walk away from the hit is a testament to the toughness and malleability of the human body. The hit was brutal, nasty and frightening.

But it wasn't dirty.

It was football.

Clark was penalized for the hit by game officials -- he shouldn't have been -- and he'll likely be fined by the league. But the hit wasn't dirty. It was intimidating and facemask-bending, but it wasn't dirty.

"It wasn't like I was trying to be cheap," Clark said. "Anybody that comes across (the middle) it's my job to tackle them. The ball got tipped, but (the official) said I shouldn't have left my feet. I didn't know how to control that. I talked to (Patriots running back) Kevin Faulk and apologized. I couldn't find Welker after the game to tell him I wasn't trying to be dirty."

There was no need to apologize to anybody. Don't be a wuss.

The Steelers won, 33-10, in an ugly game played mostly in a steady rain. That's the good news for Pittsburgh. The Steelers are clearly one of the premier teams of the league. They established that fact with a convincing victory over a solid Patriots team.

But the Steelers also are likely to inspire another round of questions about their style of play after the Welker hit and another hit witnessed by me that many people didn't notice.

Thus all of this leads to a question. Does Pittsburgh play dirty?

My answer? Hell, no. But dirty appears to be in the eye of the observer.

Many people will say the Steelers play cheap after the hit on Welker is dissected and discussed.

Yet just because the hit was violent doesn't mean it was dirty. Nor was it excessive.

It was football.

Remember what that is?

There was a similar play in the game few likely spotted that involved another Steelers player, this one accused of crossing the line in the past, wide receiver Hines Ward.

In the second quarter, Ward was in the slot position, on the right side of the field. After the ball was snapped he traversed across the grain and zeroed in on an unsuspecting Brandon Meriweather, the safety for the Patriots, who was providing run support.

Meriweather didn't see the receiver barreling down until it was too late. Ward knew this. He increased his speed and bashed an unprepared Meriweather up high. Meriweather was knocked to the ground and looked to be momentarily stunned and after the play exchanged words with Ward.

"Ward is the best in the league at making you pay when you're not paying attention," Meriweather said. "That's his reputation."

Was it dirty?

"It wasn't dirty," Meriweather said. "It's just part of the game."

The play was not so different from the one where Ward cracked back on Cincinnati Bengals linebacker Keith Rivers in a game in October. The hit led to Rivers suffering a broken jaw.

"That's what he's known for," Bengals safety Chinedum Ndukwe said at the time about Ward. "You expect that coming in. People are going to take their shots when they can. Too bad he can't hit someone face up. It's too bad he has to wait until he's not looking to get him. It's unfortunate. It's the type of guy he is. That's all right. We play them again. He's a blind-side guy."

He is a blind-side guy.

But as Meriweather said, that's not dirty. It's borderline. It's angering. It gets opposing teams and opposing fans riled up, but it's not dirty.

When you play the Steelers, you know it's coming. So just be ready for it.
And stop crying.

So are the Steelers dirty?

Hell, no. But let the debate begin.

Or rather, let the debate continue.

http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/story/11143041/1
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #3 on: Dec 01, 2008 at 08:42 »

Did you read any of the posts attached to that article?  The first one is hilarious - some whiny pastry fan.

I guess they've forgotten about one Rodney Harrison, voted by his peers as the "dirtiest player in the league, cheap-shot arteest extraordinaire."  Out of site, out of mind, right patsy fans?

"I like David Bowie, he was always my favorite member of Tin Machine."
- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
Merman1983
Old School Member

Master of the figure-four leglock

« Reply #4 on: Dec 01, 2008 at 09:07 »

That penalty could have been really dumb if we were up like 6 and it turned into a Patsie lead. Hindsight I guess.

Watching the replay, he really lead with his shoulder. Not helmet to helmet!! Clark has been called twice for that this year on similar plays that I don't think are penalties. Would like to see what would be called if Ray-Ray or Ed Reed made that hit.

Anyways, fuck you Wes Welker. You want to make a living off 7 yard slants and stupid little underneath routes, this shit is going to happen.
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #5 on: Dec 01, 2008 at 09:11 »

It was the exact same type of hit that some stupid patsy linebacker knocked himself out of the game on against Heath Miller.  Miller just caught a pass and the dude zeroed in for a violent hit.  Fortunately, Miller got his helmet lower - right under the guys' chin.  Was being vely crassic.

- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #6 on: Dec 01, 2008 at 09:49 »

Yeah, it shoulda been a penalty.  And yeah, it was worth it.  As mentioned, it sends a message to everybody that plays this team.  Watch your ass when you go over the middle.  These guys don't wear toe shoes to work, they wear MF'in football cleats.

Somewhat related and I don't know if anyone else caught it during the Ravens/Bengals game, did anybody see Housh trying to do his Hines Ward imitation only to get knocked on his ass?  It was in the second half I think, and a Bengal runner, it might've even been Fitzpatrick was running up the sideline for a gain with Ray Lewis trying to chase him down.  TJ came back and tried to lay a crackback block ala Ward on Lewis, but he sorta halfhearted it instead of running through the player.  As a result, he kinda eased off just before contact which gave Lewis an extra split second to notice him coming.  He was able to focus on Whosyourdaddy and leveled him, sending his cleats north.  Nice.

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
Preacherman0
Old School Member

« Reply #7 on: Dec 01, 2008 at 10:53 »

I'm going to make a very un-preacher-like comment, which most of you are used to me doing anyway.  I don't care if it was a penalty or not, I absolutely loved that hit.  I have been waiting for almost two years for someone to lay out that little pissant weasel on his ticky-tack routes.  I know he's a great player and all, but it's more than about time that someone put a real hit on him and put a stop to that crap.  Well worth it.

My only question about penalty or not involves the ball still being live.  It was tipped, and I doubt that Welker could have caught it.  However, if the ball is still in the air then everything and everybody is still fair game, IMO.  I guess they were saying he "launched" himself, but I've seen worse cases of that as well.

We have traded Christ for the religion of Christianity.
Y2Joyce
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #8 on: Dec 01, 2008 at 20:26 »

How about on the fourth-or-so replay when "Book'Em" Dano Deirdorf asks "na-now was this helmet-to-helmet (contact)?"

What a homer he was. Clark had clearly made the extra effort to square up and explode through that midget's chest like a fine otismalibu production. Fetish line.

If Welker somehow makes that catch he's hailed as a pint-sized hero who was working hard when the Steelers fell asleep.

"Don't ever count out Wes Welker. Wocka Wocka Wocka...". Right, Dan??

F you.

I'm going to make a very un-preacher-like comment, which most of you are used to me doing anyway.  I don't care if it was a penalty or not, I absolutely loved that hit.  I have been waiting for almost two years for someone to lay out that little pissant weasel on his ticky-tack routes.  I know he's a great player and all, but it's more than about time that someone put a real hit on him and put a stop to that crap.

Preach onward, Brother man. Although I'll take mini-exception with your referencing mini-Wes as a great player. He's a glorified Andre Hastings. All he does is go over the middle on drag routes. He's damn good at it, but he's completely one-dimensional.

It was the exact same type of hit that some stupid patsy linebacker knocked himself out of the game on against Heath Miller.  Miller just caught a pass and the dude zeroed in for a violent hit.  Fortunately, Miller got his helmet lower - right under the guys' chin.  Was being vely crassic.

That play was unbelieveable. Perhaps the middle-aged season's best. First-down pass over the middle with multiple defenders converging and Miller-time leverage-time's Pierre Woods' facemask and then gets gang-tackled deep in Cheater territory. Everyone knows how badly I dispise New England. Not everyone knows (because I am lazy) how upset I've been with our underutilization of a healthy Heath so far. He made that play just as I was calling for him to get a look and WHAM BAM RIGHT THERE ko'd Woods. I swear to all that Preach finds blessed I went against Deirdorf-pumping-Welker wishes and promptly began counting Woods out. Stopped at 10. Waived my arms. Au contraire, Pierre.

Tangential side note: That Matthew Slater cat got obliterated on some play before his KO return. I'm not saying 'twas reason for his key fumble. Just saying he got mercked. I only remember this because of the trainers being out there and we were making jokes about what the trainer was saying. "Do you remember who you are?"

"Why, Yes. I am Matt Slater."

*confused trainers*
"I guess ya are. Whatever. Lets get you off the field, son. Whoever you are."

Just lends credence to the point that the Steelers brought the wood last night and won the game with a great deal of tenacious physicality.

Steelers 58-15 when I am in attendance.
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #9 on: Dec 01, 2008 at 20:58 »

Just lends credence to the point that the Steelers brought the wood last night and won the game with a great deal of tenacious physicality.
Tenacious Physicality.  That's another fine otismalibu production.  Bondage line.

- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
Pages: [1] 2 ... 4  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: