Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Apr 21, 2014 at 04:44 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Avery Suspended  (Read 1634 times)
PghSteel-43
Old School Member

« on: Dec 02, 2008 at 22:18 »

url=http://www.google.com/hostednews/can...DCRmLy9qpE_G2Q]http://www.google.com/hostednews/can...DCRmLy9qpE_G2Qhttp://www.google.com/hostednews/can...DCRmLy9qpE_G2Q[/url]
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #1 on: Dec 03, 2008 at 08:05 »

That's crazy.  Obviously there's a much higher standard in the NHL for that type of thing.  Although, admittedly, I can't recall any other player publicly talking about his sloppy seconds.

"I like David Bowie, he was always my favorite member of Tin Machine."
- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
PghSteel-43
Old School Member

« Reply #2 on: Dec 03, 2008 at 09:41 »

And in the NFL we have Pacman Jones back in the NFL, Plaxico Burress shooting himself, Chris Henry back on the field again and players getting arrested and then slapped on the wrist for spousal abuse on a yearly basis. Nevermind the amount of drug related arrests.

Sean Avery looks like an angel compared to these guys. I can understand a fine from the organization because he is kind of messing with the organization's image, but the NHL suspending him for this is pretty pathetic.

The woman Avery is referring to is Elisha Cuthbert.  A Canadian actress and apparent hockey-ho.  She has also been romantically linked to Mike Komisarek of the Montreal Canadiens.

« Last Edit: Dec 03, 2008 at 10:03 by PghSteel-43 » Logged
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #3 on: Dec 03, 2008 at 10:14 »

I had not seen the video.  Seems fairly benign if not classless.  Some of the other Stars didn't seem too amused.

The team suspended him before the game though.  Judgment was swift.

- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
PghSteel-43
Old School Member

« Reply #4 on: Dec 03, 2008 at 10:37 »

Classless?  Sure, no doubt.

Suspended indefinitely?  That's a little harsh.

I think the NHL has biggers worries than Sean Avery talking about his sloppy seconds, like trying to find a different station than Versus to televise it's games in the states.  Like trying to get attendance up in hopeless cities such as Atlanta, Nashville, Raleigh and the whole state of Florida.  Selling the sport better overall in this country.

« Last Edit: Dec 03, 2008 at 10:39 by PghSteel-43 » Logged
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #5 on: Dec 03, 2008 at 11:06 »

I don't follow hockey nearly as much as football.  But it seems like hockey is more of an old school type of sport in that they cherish their traditions, the players are generally more respectful, etc.  I guess part of those traditions are that you keep stuff like that "in the room" and deal with it "on the ice." 

Just speculating.

- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
whitmer_87
Brownstains can suck my Member

« Reply #6 on: Dec 03, 2008 at 11:42 »

Now if he said something like, "Filthy cunts" or "former behotches" maybe that would merit a suspension. But sloppy seconds? Please.

"The duty of the comedian is to find out where the line is drawn, and cross it deliberately."-George Carlin
PghSteel-43
Old School Member

« Reply #7 on: Dec 03, 2008 at 13:28 »

Now if he said something like, "Filthy cunts" or "former behotches" maybe that would merit a suspension. But sloppy seconds? Please.

There have been players who have intentionally cross-checked another player in the head/neck area and have received less of a suspension.
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #8 on: Dec 03, 2008 at 14:01 »

You also have to consider the source here - Avery is not well liked by his peers.  I know that when the signing was announced this summer that Capt. Morrow was underwhelmed, he was practically biting his tongue just to say all the right "team first" things.  He hates the guy.  You heard the other Stars' comments - nobody went to bat for him.

I didn't hear all of it (on the radio) but it seems he had been warned (by the Stars) prior to arriving in Calgary to keep his mouth shut.  Then he goes out of his way to make sure there are cameras present for his comments!

Apparently the league plans to make an example of him.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=395722
The League said the suspension was issued in accordance with the provisions of By-Law 17 and Article 6 of the NHL Constitution for conduct "detrimental to the League or game of hockey." The suspension was imposed following inappropriate public comments about the personal lives of opposing players, and not pertaining to the game, made by Avery earlier in the day.

- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
PghSteel-43
Old School Member

« Reply #9 on: Dec 03, 2008 at 16:18 »

I'm not really all that surprised that his teammates did not stick up for him even though player opinion's should not have any impact on what the NHL hands out suspension-wise.  I think many took the Brad Richards approach of "It's his problem, it's his business, it's not my problem or my business.".  I'm sure other players on the team do not like the guy and that's also understandable.  I remember reading about Morrow having a problem with the signing from day one.

Eitherway, making idiotic and classless remarks does not add up to indefinite suspension in my book.  Particularly when you see Bernie Nicholls get one game back in 1994 for cross-checking Kovalev in the back the neck.  Wisniewski getting a one game suspension for cross-checking Mikael Samuelsson in the neck back this past March.  Kubina suspened one game for cross-checking Hudler back in 2006.  Sean Brown on Denis Bonvie back in 2002.  The list goes on and on.

The funny part out of all of this, I actually remember a significant number in Pittsburgh calling for this guy's services before Dallas called him up.  "He can replace Ruutu!" was the cry.  I'm not a fan of the guy, I wasn't a fan of the guy when I saw him on a regular basis when he was with New York.  The move on Brodeur was bush league and his more recent remarks show a lack of class.

I'll take Matt Cooke to fill that role.

« Last Edit: Dec 03, 2008 at 16:22 by PghSteel-43 » Logged
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: