Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Apr 24, 2014 at 12:40 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Laptop Recommendations  (Read 621 times)
otismalibu
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« on: Dec 07, 2008 at 09:11 »

Our daughter (11) is begging for a laptop. She doesn't really need one for school quite yet, but if we buy one, I'd hope it would still be of use in a few years.

I see some fairly cheap ones (under $400), but have never owned a laptop.

Any brands/models you'd recommend? Any to steer clear of?

Thanks.
leighclay
Old School Member

« Reply #1 on: Dec 07, 2008 at 11:21 »

I'm probably the minority, but I love my Mac.
You don't have the virus issues with other machines, they're fast, powerful, easy, but not cheap.
Although the new ones are considerably cheaper.

As for Windows platform, I'm a Sony fan, but that's probably because my friends that have Windows machines have Sonys so I'm more used to those.

I'm still the one with the boobs.
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #2 on: Dec 07, 2008 at 11:33 »

I'm not sure how much difference there really is among the laptops.  But one thing I'd suggest if you want it to last for a few years - max out the HD and RAM that's available.  It'll be running Windows Vista (unless you go Mac) so you may as well get one with absolutely no less than 2 GB RAM and double or more if you can.

My wife uses an HP that's pretty much maxed out that was around $750.  Got it at Best Buy during one of those "no interest for 12 months" sales.  It's 17", has wireless, webcam, dvd burner and stuff like that.  She's been happy with it but rarely does more than surf the web.

"I like David Bowie, he was always my favorite member of Tin Machine."
- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
Big Virgil
Old School Member

« Reply #3 on: Dec 07, 2008 at 12:50 »

We have an HP laptop as well.  I like the wide screen.  Don't recall what we paid, but it was reasonable.  I ditto the comment about maximizing RAM and hard drive.

Our kids use our laptop to do homework assignments and stuff, but it is connected to our wireless network so they can print and to their research on the internet.  They are 10 and 12.  What I'm getting at, is be sure to consider what hardware/software you need to connect to the internet and printer, if that is going to be her use.  When my kids have social studies type of projects, they/we use the internet to do the research, and we use it for that more than I ever would have thought.

For just printing, she can use a flash drive and plug it into the main computer and print that way.

Looks like you've been missing a lot of work lately.
I wouldn't say I've been *missing* it, Bob.
steelerfaninCO
Old School Member

« Reply #4 on: Dec 08, 2008 at 00:35 »

If you want to go budget PC, Acer isn't too bad, and quite inexpensive. Sony makes nice things, but their laptops are pretty pricey. You can get good deals on Dell's, and they offer the best customization online. You can basically  build the computer that fits your needs and budget. I currently have a Toshiba, and probably wouldn't get another one. Its got some nice features, but some really annoying ones too. HP is a respectable company, that will be priced a little less that the Sony's, but more than budget brands, and on par with Toshiba's.

Computers are like cell phones. Whats cutting edge now, is ancient 6 months to year from now. So, if you want to get something that will still be relevant for awhile, get the best processor you can for what you want to spend. Something that's relatively quick, and can handle multiple applications simultaneously. Definitely get RAM and memory, but remember you can can add more later. I'm sure you can score a great deal on a decent machine.

KTBFFH
Preacherman0
Old School Member

« Reply #5 on: Dec 11, 2008 at 09:07 »

Acer isn't too bad

The in-laws got one last Christmas.  For surfing the web and doing basic word processing tasks, it was a pretty sweet deal.  Just pray you never have to call their customer service line.

We have traded Christ for the religion of Christianity.
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #6 on: Dec 11, 2008 at 09:14 »

So, if you want to get something that will still be relevant for awhile, get the best processor you can for what you want to spend. Something that's relatively quick, and can handle multiple applications simultaneously. Definitely get RAM and memory, but remember you can can add more later. I'm sure you can score a great deal on a decent machine.

Completely left out the processor.  These days the PC based processors are dual-core, triple-core or quad-core which basically allows 2, 3 or 4 things to execute "simultaneously."  So if a quad-core is only 50 bucks more than a dual core then get it.  If it's $300 more then you're at the wrong store.

"I like David Bowie, he was always my favorite member of Tin Machine."
- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: