Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Dec 20, 2014 at 12:50 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tomlin not happy with remarks  (Read 682 times)
PghSteel-43
Old School Member

« on: Dec 11, 2008 at 16:30 »

Steelers Coach Tomlin not happy with Parker's comments
Thursday, December 11, 2008
By Gerry Dulac, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Steelers Coach Mike Tomlin was not happy with comments made by two-time Pro Bowl running back Willie Parker, saying they could be misinterpreted as uninformed and selfish, and said he told Parker and all the players about it today in a team meeting.

"The issue for us has been, is and hopefully will continue to be winning -- that's my interpretation of Steelers football," Tomlin said. "Every morning I come to work I walk past five Lombardis, not five rushing titles. The issue is winning."

Parker said yesterday that the offense, which ranks 20th in the NFL in rushing, has gotten away from "Steelers football" and that the two-tight end offense used by offensive coordinator Bruce Arians is not effective for running the ball.

Parker, who carried 12 times for 25 yards against the Dallas Cowboys, said opposing teams even know when and where the Steelers are going to run the ball.

"He needs to be a little more careful with things he says and how he says it because it can be misinterpreted as uninformed or selfish, of which he is neither," Tomlin said.

Asked how the two-tight end offense, which rarely employs a fullback, is performing, Tomlin said, "It was working pretty good last year when he was leading the league in rushing before he was hurt. It's not working as well right now. But we're in a better position than we were a year ago."

Parker was leading the NFL in rushing with 1,316 yards last season when he broke his leg in Week 15 in St. Louis. He also began this season with back-to-back 100-yard rushing performances before spraining the medial collateral ligament in his left knee in Week 3 in Philadelphia -- an injury that caused him to miss four games and still limits his effectiveness.

"Do we need to get better in terms of running the football? Absolutely," Tomlin said. "And the reason is this -- because it increases our chances of winning.

"I talked to the football team. We're a 10-3 team trying to be an 11-3 team, and the issue and singular focus we should have is on winning."
SCacalaki
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #1 on: Dec 11, 2008 at 17:05 »

Parker's comments were at least poor timing.  Huge game this week.  Don't need focus taken off the game this Sunday.

Though, I don't blame anyone criticizing Arians.

Words to live by:  "Dick LeBeau is Dick LeBeau," Tomlin said. "Everybody knows Dick."
jasonic
Brownstains can suck my Member

« Reply #2 on: Dec 11, 2008 at 17:22 »

Whenever Tomlin speaks, i like him even more.  Solid Team Dude.

"If you make every game a life and death proposition, you're going to have problems. For one thing, you'll be dead a lot."
Preacherman0
Old School Member

« Reply #3 on: Dec 12, 2008 at 06:37 »

Willie Parker is absolutely right.

He just didn't need to say it.

Sometimes, being right just has to be enough.

Note that Tomlin didn't exactly disagree with him, just said basically that he needs to keep his mouth shut.  He also didn't give Arians any kind of ringing endorsement (hey, I'm looking for any sign of hope here).

We have traded Christ for the religion of Christianity.
Merman1983
Old School Member

Master of the figure-four leglock

« Reply #4 on: Dec 12, 2008 at 07:06 »

Willie Parker is absolutely right.

He just didn't need to say it.

Sometimes, being right just has to be enough.

Note that Tomlin didn't exactly disagree with him, just said basically that he needs to keep his mouth shut.  He also didn't give Arians any kind of ringing endorsement (hey, I'm looking for any sign of hope here).

I noticed this too. This makes me think (hope) that no matter what happens this year, Arians is a goner. I mean ever if we win the Super Bowl, it will be in spite and not because of the offense.

And it's not like we're setting records this year. No 32 Tds for Ben. No record points and yards. We got what, the 22nd ranked offense in the NFL. The stats speak for themselves.
Puma170
Bleedin' Black and Gold behind enemy lines

« Reply #5 on: Dec 12, 2008 at 07:40 »

This seems like a perfect reason to name Moore the started (which I think is the best move for the team anyway) and send the message to the team that you don't take team business public. 

PUMA
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #6 on: Dec 12, 2008 at 11:52 »

Parker said yesterday that the offense, which ranks 20th in the NFL in rushing, has gotten away from "Steelers football" and that the two-tight end offense used by offensive coordinator Bruce Arians is not effective for running the ball.

Edited for accuracy.

Parker, who carried 12 times for 25 yards against the Dallas Cowboys, said opposing teams even know when and where the Steelers are going to run the ball.

Doesn't everyone?

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
PghSteel-43
Old School Member

« Reply #7 on: Dec 13, 2008 at 00:13 »

Parker's comments were at least poor timing.  Huge game this week.  Don't need focus taken off the game this Sunday.

Bad timing and he should have kept team business behind closed doors.

"Every morning I come to work I walk past five Lombardis, not five rushing titles. The issue is winning."

Well said.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: