Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Sep 03, 2014 at 02:26 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: PI rule--whaddya think?  (Read 471 times)
Preacherman0
Old School Member

« on: Dec 12, 2008 at 06:44 »

Watched the end of the Bears/Saints last night and saw the PI on the Saints that basically put the Bears in FG range.  After that play, I am officially opposed to the PI "spot of the foul" rule.  Anyone else got any thoughts on that?

We have traded Christ for the religion of Christianity.
vinman3
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Master of the Obvious

« Reply #1 on: Dec 12, 2008 at 06:56 »

Didn't see the highlights of the Saints/Bears, but I actually like the spot foul for PI. A 15 yard penalty for that is BS. On a deep ball, where a defender is beat, he knows all he has to do is interfere. Gets a 15 yard penalty instead of potentially a huge gain/TD.

It's a hot night. The mind races. You think about your knife; the only friend who hasn't betrayed you, the only friend who won't be dead by sun up. Sleep tight, mates, in your quilted Chambray nightshirts.
Merman1983
Old School Member

Master of the figure-four leglock

« Reply #2 on: Dec 12, 2008 at 07:12 »

I hate the spot foul, always have. No way games should be changed by 50 yard penalties. Last night was a perfect example.

Just because the defender is beat doesn't mean the receiver is going to catch the ball. Plus, the ref's call it so damn incosistently that a game changing penalty in one game is a no-call in another game.

Penalties should max out at 15 yards. Let the players decide the game.
msdmnr2002
Old School Member

« Reply #3 on: Dec 12, 2008 at 07:48 »

I have to agree that the spot foul is too much.  An offense can get 50 yards on a penalty, but if the defense is in position and the WR interferes (I know it's never called, but hypothetically), it's a set yardage.  QB can float one out in the flat that has pick-6 written all over it, WR tackles the CB and it's over with a yardage penalty (is it 10 or 15 yards?  It's called so seldom that I can't remember).  At the very least, offensive pass interference should be yardage+loss of down.  That would also offset the automatic first downs when the DB gets called for holding or PI 5 yards downfield on 3rd and 15.
vinman3
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Master of the Obvious

« Reply #4 on: Dec 12, 2008 at 08:04 »

At the very least, offensive pass interference should be yardage+loss of down. 

That I can agree with. Looks like I am the minority in support of the spot foul, oh well Smiley

It's a hot night. The mind races. You think about your knife; the only friend who hasn't betrayed you, the only friend who won't be dead by sun up. Sleep tight, mates, in your quilted Chambray nightshirts.
Puma170
Bleedin' Black and Gold behind enemy lines

« Reply #5 on: Dec 12, 2008 at 08:52 »

At the very least, offensive pass interference should be yardage+loss of down. 

That is one of the more logical football thoughts I have heard recently.  It has no chance in today's NFL.

PUMA
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: