Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Oct 01, 2014 at 21:55 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Well, here it goes...  (Read 1934 times)
Preacherman0
Old School Member

« on: Dec 14, 2008 at 21:17 »

Heard the crew at halftime on NBC:  "I would NEVER have overturned that call...that one play had a major impact on the playoffs..."  blahblahblah.

So, we get to hear all about how our division title was bogus and Harbaugh is whining about it and all that bs. 

Screw that. 

I don't know that the call should have actually been overturned (the best angle I saw was an overhead view, looked like he was in).  I don't know what the rule says about two feet in the end zone (heard that brought up at ESPN).  But I do know that, if they marked the ball at the one inch line, that did NOT mean "game over" by any stretch.

At the least, we run the clock down, kick the FG, and tie it up.  So spare me the melodrama about "one play" changing the entire season.  In all my years of griping about officials  tickedoff tickedoff tickedoff, I have learned one thing:  One call rarely, if EVER, decides a game, much less a season.  For every one that goes against you, someone could probably find 2 that went FOR you.

We have traded Christ for the religion of Christianity.
DCSteelers
Old School Member

« Reply #1 on: Dec 14, 2008 at 21:25 »

Consider the source: Chris Collinsworth. 

Whats funny is I really thought the Steelers got jobbed by the officials by the lack of calls.  A couple PIs and holds should have been called.   A couple of the holds were ticky tacky called on the Steelers.

Guess it all evens out in the end.

It's a moot point, IMO, as Santonio ccontrolled the ball, it was across the plane by at least a 1/4 of the ball.
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #2 on: Dec 14, 2008 at 22:04 »

Yeah, the whining on this will last all week.  Hell, I bet there's already an article in the Baltimore Sun ... or did they go bankrupt?

"I like David Bowie, he was always my favorite member of Tin Machine."
- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
msdmnr2002
Old School Member

« Reply #3 on: Dec 14, 2008 at 22:20 »

Yeah, I heard that too.  Collinsworth sounded like he agreed it was a touchdown, but wouldn't overturn it.  Screw Olbermann and Ray Ray fluffer Patrick.  Costas I respect - at least he defended his position by saying whichever way it went he wouldn't have overturned it as too close to call.  And some credit to Collinsworth for noticing the referee on the end line who made the initial call was screened by a defender.

Let the hate flow.  It was obvious during the broadcst which way they wanted it to go.

Looks like the Cowboys are going to beat the Giants.  Romo to Whitten on the clutch first down on 3rd and 9.  TD next play.  Wonder if TO will bitch about not getting the ball on that play too.
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #4 on: Dec 14, 2008 at 23:05 »

Looks like the Cowboys are going to beat the Giants.  Romo to Whitten on the clutch first down on 3rd and 9.  TD next play.  Wonder if TO will bitch about not getting the ball on that play too.

He had 3 catches for 38 yards.  He'd would be bitching but the press is too busy asking about the "controversy" from late in the week.

"I like David Bowie, he was always my favorite member of Tin Machine."
- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
vinman3
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Master of the Obvious

« Reply #5 on: Dec 15, 2008 at 06:43 »

If the rule is two feet in the end zone, clearly it was a TD and should have been overturned.

If the rule is breaking the plane of the goalline, then it did. Santonio caught the ball, with the front tip of the ball over the goalline. I really didn't think they would overturn it though, based on that.

I think in that situation, had it not been overturned, a QB sneak for the win had to be the call. Don't hand it off. Just lean into the endzone.

It's a hot night. The mind races. You think about your knife; the only friend who hasn't betrayed you, the only friend who won't be dead by sun up. Sleep tight, mates, in your quilted Chambray nightshirts.
Merman1983
Old School Member

Master of the figure-four leglock

« Reply #6 on: Dec 15, 2008 at 07:26 »

Lost in all of this is the fact that "the greatest defense of all time with the greatest linebacker and safety of all time with 99 future hall of famers blah blah" let the 26th ranked offense go 92 yards in 3 minutes. Maybe the sports media should focus on that?

If there's any blame to go around, it ain't for the officials.
Puma170
Bleedin' Black and Gold behind enemy lines

« Reply #7 on: Dec 15, 2008 at 07:30 »

Lost in all of this is the fact that "the greatest defense of all time with the greatest linebacker and safety of all time with 99 future hall of famers blah blah" let the 26th ranked offense go 92 yards in 3 minutes. Maybe the sports media should focus on that?

If there's any blame to go around, it ain't for the officials.

I actually heard a "Blatimore" radio guy say the same thing.  He is winning me over a little bit at time as he admits he hates Hines but would love him if he were a Raven.  Honest...

PUMA
Preacherman0
Old School Member

« Reply #8 on: Dec 15, 2008 at 08:36 »

I actually heard a "Blatimore" radio guy say the same thing.  He is winning me over a little bit at time as he admits he hates Hines but would love him if he were a Raven.  Honest...

I'll even grudgingly give credit where credit is due here:  Ray-Ray, after he whined about the call, did say, "They made plays and we didn't.  Doesn't matter what the call was, they made plays and we didn't."

Sounded like a guy who just let a team go 92 yards on him.

Preacherman0
Old School Member

« Reply #9 on: Dec 15, 2008 at 08:59 »

BTW, I think the definitive replay was the overhead view that I saw on NBC.  I was a bit unsure until I saw that one, but the overhead view was pretty clear.

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: