Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Oct 20, 2014 at 23:17 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: #1 Rush Defense in the NFL  (Read 1424 times)
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« on: Dec 15, 2008 at 12:53 »

Now belongs to the Vikings.  Damn.  And facing the Titans next week won't help that at all.  Of course, they should feast on the Brownstains to end the season so there's still hope.

"I like David Bowie, he was always my favorite member of Tin Machine."
- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
msdmnr2002
Old School Member

« Reply #1 on: Dec 15, 2008 at 23:57 »

I believe the Vikings have the Falcons next, so hopefully Turner can put a hurting on them.
KeystoneKC
Old School Member

« Reply #2 on: Dec 16, 2008 at 12:19 »

Now belongs to the Vikings.  Damn. 

Odd.  They lead Pittsburgh by 64 yards, when the Steelers only gave up 69 more then the Vikes last weekend.  I didn't think they were that close going in, but the stats match those at NFL.com.

Cleveland:  The only NFL city to never play in, or host, a Superbowl.  That bears repeating.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #3 on: Dec 16, 2008 at 12:36 »

On a YPG basis, the Vikes lead; not surprising, considering the Cards were down 21-0 before anyone knew what happened, and the Cards gave up the pretense of a running game (which is all they have now anyway).

On a YPC basis, we still edge them out, and IMO that's not an insignificant distinction.  It's close... we're both allowing 3.2-something YPC, where the average is close to 4 (!), but it seems to be pick your poison against the Steeler D.  You can get a little against the pass D or a little against the rush D, but not both.  And damned little on the ground at all.

As an aside, does it seem like rush averages are way up this year?  Well, "way" may be relative, but if teams are allowing, on average, about 4.0 YPC, that seems pretty weak.  I could have sworn in years past YPC hovered at 3.7, 3.8 on average.  Now, that's only a foot more per carry, granted, but still, 4 YPC always seemed to be a red flag of a weak run D.  Are all the defenses skewing to stop the pass these days or something?

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #4 on: Dec 16, 2008 at 12:47 »

Meh, nevermind.

Just ran the averages from ESPN's stats for 2002-08, and they all come out to about the same, around 4.0-4.2 YPC.  So much for that. 

pensodyssey
Halfsharkalligator halfman.
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #5 on: Dec 16, 2008 at 16:51 »

Meh, nevermind.

Just ran the averages from ESPN's stats for 2002-08, and they all come out to about the same, around 4.0-4.2 YPC.  So much for that. 

Which would make sense, given that the league average for YPC on offense is almost invariably at or around 4.

A shabby Charlie Brown.
Preacherman0
Old School Member

« Reply #6 on: Dec 17, 2008 at 08:01 »

No worries.  One of the Fat Boys is down for the year.  Turner will have a field day this week.

We have traded Christ for the religion of Christianity.
vinman3
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Master of the Obvious

« Reply #7 on: Dec 17, 2008 at 08:11 »

No worries.  One of the Fat Boys is down for the year.  Turner will have a field day this week.

Really needing him to not have a field day.

It's a hot night. The mind races. You think about your knife; the only friend who hasn't betrayed you, the only friend who won't be dead by sun up. Sleep tight, mates, in your quilted Chambray nightshirts.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #8 on: Dec 17, 2008 at 08:52 »

Meh, nevermind.

Which would make sense, given that the league average for YPC on offense is almost invariably at or around 4.

There's a slightly above average to greatly above average chance that you are correct!

BleedGreen710
Brownstains can suck my Member

« Reply #9 on: Dec 18, 2008 at 10:01 »

My fingers are crossed!  I've got lots of fantasy money riding on this performace!

"Now that I'm here, I don't want to just be here, I want to be here for a long time." Hines Ward, 1998 3rd round draft pick.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: