Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Sep 01, 2014 at 10:34 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New Trade Rumor  (Read 659 times)
PghSteel-43
Old School Member

« on: Dec 15, 2008 at 22:50 »

Penguins to pursue St. Louis?
TheFourthPeriod.com

Various reports surfaced this week claiming that the Tampa Bay Lightning might consider trading star winger Martin St. Louis in an effort to shed salary.

While St. Louis has not been approached by the club about the possibility of waiving his no-trade clause, it's believed the Lightning may turn up the heat on a potential move in the New Year.

If the Lightning attempt to trade St. Louis, a Pittsburgh-based source told TFP the Penguins will more than likely be among the teams extremely interested in acquiring the speedy sniper.

St. Louis is making $5.25 million per year on a contract that doesn't expire until after the 2010-11 season.

With defensemen Ryan Whitney and Sergei Gonchar on the long-term injury list (neither is expected to return for another month, at the earliest), the Penguins will save approximately $4 million to $4.5 million against the salary cap, given them enough room to accommodate St. Louis' salary.

The Penguins have been looking for a goal-scoring winger to play alongside Sidney Crosby. The team signed Miroslav Satan to a one-year deal in the off-season, and while he's produced fairly well, it hasn't been to the expectations of the Penguins.

The Lightning will undoubtedly want a top young player in return and could focus on Jordan Staal.

From the Editor: David Pagnotta was unavailable to offer his comments. -- David Pagnotta
PghSteel-43
Old School Member

« Reply #1 on: Dec 15, 2008 at 22:53 »

It was reported in the PPG this past Friday that Whitney has already shopped for new skates and hopes to be back in the next week or two. Not in a month, "at the earliest". 

As for the trade rumor, I would love to have Martin St. Louis. IMO, he would fit in beautifully on a line with Crosby. He has the speed, he actually hustles and is capable of finishing on a consistent basis. Also, he would be signed through 2010-2011, so it's not like he could pull a Marian Hossa on the organization after the season is over. I would be more than thrilled to see the Penguins package Whitney/Satan for St. Louis, but I'm not crazy about the idea of shipping a 20 year old Jordan Staal out of Pittsburgh for a 33 year old Martin St. Louis.

While Staal has struggled at times over the last two seasons, Tampa Bay is nuts if they think we are going to give them a former second overall pick who is only 20 years old for a 33 year old forward.  It's not like we are talking about a 25 year old Ilya Kovalchuk in return for Staal.

« Last Edit: Dec 16, 2008 at 01:16 by PghSteel-43 » Logged
PghSteel-43
Old School Member

« Reply #2 on: Dec 15, 2008 at 23:40 »

Speaking of Whitney.....

Penguins defenseman Ryan Whitney's goal of playing in a game before Christmas is looking more realistic.

Whitney has been out all season after undergoing surgery in August to correct a left-foot deformity. He has been practicing with the team since Nov. 21.

Whitney isn't positive, but a Dec. 23 game against the Tampa Bay Lightning is a possible return date.

"It's getting there," Whitney said. "I'm hoping pretty soon, probably not Atlanta, but I'm hoping soon after. I'd like to be in before Christmas. That was the goal the whole time."

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/penguins/s_603097.html
pensodyssey
Halfsharkalligator halfman.
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #3 on: Dec 16, 2008 at 12:17 »

Yeah, Staal is finding the net again this year so I say no to any deal involving him.  Aren't we stocked at goalie down to the AHL level?  Smith is 2.50 and 92%, though.  Not bad on a bad team, so they might not be interested in that. 

A shabby Charlie Brown.
PghSteel-43
Old School Member

« Reply #4 on: Dec 16, 2008 at 14:22 »

And now, this little gem from TFP....

Penguins could pursue Gaborik
TheFourthPeriod.com

According to the Edmonton Journal, if the Minnesota Wild decides to trade star Marian Gaborik this season, a possible destination could be the Pittsburgh Penguins.

The newspaper suggests the Wild could move Gaborik to the Penguins for Evgeni Malkin, if Gaborik is willing to forgo unrestricted free agency next summer to take the same $8.7 million Sidney Crosby's getting.

While the Journal notes this might be a longshot, if it happens, the Penguins would then slot Jordan Staal into the No.2 center position.

The paper also lists the Montreal Canadiens and New York Rangers are other possibilities. 

PghSteel-43
Old School Member

« Reply #5 on: Dec 16, 2008 at 14:22 »

Where in the hell do people come up with this stuff?  I was hoping the Gaborik rumors ended a month ago, but apparently they are still going strong.

Smoking crack is bad.
Merman1983
Old School Member

Master of the figure-four leglock

« Reply #6 on: Dec 16, 2008 at 14:50 »

Anyone who would trade Malkin for Gaborik needs to be commited.

I'd be fine with acquiring St. Louis if the price is right, but I want no part of Gaborik. Yeah he's got the skills to score 50 on Crosby's line if he plays 75 games, but I'm pretty sure you could add up his last 3 years and he hasn't played 75 games.
PghSteel-43
Old School Member

« Reply #7 on: Dec 16, 2008 at 15:18 »

Yeah, Staal is finding the net again this year so I say no to any deal involving him.  Aren't we stocked at goalie down to the AHL level?  Smith is 2.50 and 92%, though.  Not bad on a bad team, so they might not be interested in that. 

Going by the reports, it's sounding as if the Bolts are looking for a top young player. I would have to believe they want a young defenseman or forward and not a AHL goaltender for a player like Martin St. Louis. I don't think that would be enough to get it done.  Just a guess on my part, but I'm pretty sure it would take more than Brown or Berkhoel.  

I would have to believe that the Bolts are going to be asking for some of our youth who have shown signs of playing good hockey at the NHL level (Staal, Gogo or Letang) for St. Louis.  Like I said, I would go as high as Whitney/Satan and possibly a pick (not a first) for St. Louis, but I wouldn't trade our future for a 33 year old Martin St. Louis.  If the Bolts need anything, it's a offensive defenseman after losing Boyle.  Whitney could possibly fit that role for them. 

Then again, who knows what Shero is going to do?  Nothing would surprise me after the Hossa deal last season.
« Last Edit: Dec 16, 2008 at 15:26 by PghSteel-43 » Logged
PghSteel-43
Old School Member

« Reply #8 on: Dec 16, 2008 at 15:30 »

Anyone who would trade Malkin for Gaborik needs to be commited.

I'd be fine with acquiring St. Louis if the price is right, but I want no part of Gaborik. Yeah he's got the skills to score 50 on Crosby's line if he plays 75 games, but I'm pretty sure you could add up his last 3 years and he hasn't played 75 games.

There are some crazy Penguin trade rumors flying around out there.  One involving Hal Gill and a conditional pick for Sean Avery.

It's that time of year. Smiley
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: