Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Dec 22, 2014 at 06:53 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Talbot gets extension  (Read 452 times)
Merman1983
Old School Member

Master of the figure-four leglock

« on: Dec 19, 2008 at 12:02 »

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08354/936309-100.stm

PghSteel-43
Old School Member

« Reply #1 on: Dec 19, 2008 at 12:05 »

It was nice to see us get something for Filewich. In all right, a bag of pucks would have been too much for St. Louis to give up for this guy. Instead of getting better over the years, he has actually gotten worse and it appeared he fell out of favor with the Penguin organization.

He started off well down in WBS, putting up 22 goals and 14 helpers in 22 games. His second season was even better and it looked as if he could pan out to be a pretty solid third or second line winger scoring 30 goals and assisting on 26 in the 06-07 season. Then in 07-08 he only put up 10 goals and 21 assists and this season he has only 2 goals and 2 assists in 19 games.

Just another third round pick who did not pan out under the CP regime.
Merman1983
Old School Member

Master of the figure-four leglock

« Reply #2 on: Dec 19, 2008 at 12:15 »

Yeah I like both moves.

I don't know what would cause Filewich's numbers to drop like that. Undisclosed injury? Either way it's definitely time for both parites to move on. Maybe a change of scenery will be good for him. Also nice to see us picking up some draftpicks given that we've traded a number away.
PghSteel-43
Old School Member

« Reply #3 on: Dec 19, 2008 at 12:31 »

Yeah I like both moves.

I don't know what would cause Filewich's numbers to drop like that. Undisclosed injury? Either way it's definitely time for both parites to move on. Maybe a change of scenery will be good for him. Also nice to see us picking up some draftpicks given that we've traded a number away.

Your guess is as good as mine, but I think it's a combination of things when it comes to Filewich.

At one point in time he was being coached by Craig Patrick's brother, which was a horrible hiring decision on Craig's part.  Finally, Craig had the commonsense to fire him.  While we have been able to bring up third/fourth line offensive talent from WBS, we have yet to get good first/second line material from our minor league team.

Plus, I think some of these guys become frustrated at not being able to eventually crack an NHL lineup.  Filewich started off strong down in WBS and things looked promising.  At one point, I felt he could pan out to become a pretty solid second or third line winger, but then his numbers started to drop in his third season, he was called up and he didn't do jack shit at the NHL level and was eventually sent back down to WBS where he continued to struggle.

« Last Edit: Dec 19, 2008 at 12:36 by PghSteel-43 » Logged
PghSteel-43
Old School Member

« Reply #4 on: Dec 20, 2008 at 00:05 »

More info on the Talbot signing and the Filewich trade.....

"Starting next season, the Penguins will pay Talbot $1.050 million per year, according to general manager Ray Shero." - Trib

and....

"Wilkes-Barre/Scranton forward Jonathan Filewich was traded to St. Louis for a conditional sixth-round draft pick in the 2010 Entry Draft." - Trib
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: