Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Nov 26, 2014 at 15:41 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Don't worry about the loss today guys...  (Read 1275 times)
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #10 on: Dec 22, 2008 at 11:24 »

On a side note, why don't we ever run anything outside?  Why does everything go between the tackles?

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
DCSteelers
Old School Member

« Reply #11 on: Dec 22, 2008 at 11:45 »

On a side note, why don't we ever run anything outside?  Why does everything go between the tackles?

I don't know... good point.  I thought I recalled MM getting outside against Jax, Baltimore, some other teams with success.  I thought the bubble screen calls were usually pretty safe for at least 5 yards.

Maybe a reverse or two?  I don't remember seeing it this year.
jasonic
Brownstains can suck my Member

« Reply #12 on: Dec 22, 2008 at 19:03 »

it would be nice to see a Fullback at least once during a game...

"If you make every game a life and death proposition, you're going to have problems. For one thing, you'll be dead a lot."
leighclay
Old School Member

« Reply #13 on: Dec 22, 2008 at 19:24 »

it would be nice to see a Fullback at least once during a game...

Fullback?
What's a fullback?
Do we have one?

I'm still the one with the boobs.
ben2hines4six

Proud member of STEELER NATION!!!!!!

« Reply #14 on: Dec 22, 2008 at 22:32 »

Exactly, Leigh. That alone is the most maddening thing about the lack of a running game. At least TRY IT. Nothing else works, WHAT CAN IT HURT?!?

It's one thing if your backs are banged up. It's one thing thing when your line is junk. It's a whole other thing to not make adjustments when you have BOTH of those issues.

When even a hall of fame back like the Bus (behind a line that was head and shoulders above this one) ran behind a fullback, what is the logic in having a less talented (Parker) more beat up RB (behind a WORSE O-line) consistently run up the gut with no FB?

It really is beating the dead horse, but this is almost exclusively on Arians, IMO. Even when the RB's and O-line were better, they STILL largely used the fullback to open up some holes. Everyone knows the Bus was great, but he was made much better with somebody driving the bus. Seriously, do ANY TEAMS run gut on the goal-line with no FB or at least a lead blocker out of the backfield? If you aren't going to do it on the rest of the field, AT LEAST do it there.

The biggest issue here is not the lack of talent on the line. It's not Ben's turnovers, and its not the RB's (although FWP's happy feet are driving me more crazy then most). It is the fundamental lack of executing a gameplan that makes any semblance of sense.

For example, what happened to spreading out the field and throwing to the TE's (we saw that a lot with Miller and Spaeth last season)? What happened to the pass setting up the run?? How many times in past seasons have we seen Ben throw to the TE's on goal to go situations, or slants to Ward? How often have we seen that this year? I care less then most about "playing Steeler football". Steeler football to me is winning. I don't care how they get in the endzone, JUST GET IN!!!

If the Steelers had an O that was even comparable to last years, they would be in much better shape. Like it or not, the best chance of success for this team RIGHT NOW is spreading the other team out and getting some cutback runs and draws with Moore. Then when they back off, try to pound the rock a little. But for heaven sake, sprinkle in at least the ODD RUN outside the tackles.

Like, this isn't really rocket science. As fans, we understand not much can be done about the health of the backs, or the lack of talent on the line until the off-season. But a lot can be done via the game-planning and providing the players (talented or otherwise) with the best chance to succeed.

Until that effort is at least made legitimately, Arians will forever feel my scorn.
JackSplat
Jerk Store Proprietor
Old School Member

« Reply #15 on: Dec 22, 2008 at 22:52 »

im worried about the loss.  Im worried that they will play the starters sparingly against cleveland, stink it up possibly on O and end up losing the game entirely.  then not have a meaningful game till the divisionals all the while riding a two game losing streak.

losing is contagious just as much as winning.

Jerry, it's Frank Costanza, Mr.
Steinbrenner is here, George is dead, call me back!
TucsonSteeler

« Reply #16 on: Dec 23, 2008 at 08:39 »

I am not overly worried about the loss only because of the reason we lost.  Although FWP has shown nothing since the first few weeks and the line just absolutely sucks the only reason we lost that game is the turnovers PERIOD.  Ben hangs on to the ball and does not throw that first interception we win by 10 points easy.  I am not worried because that is not going to happen again.

Am I the only one who feels that our offense will have a break out game or two this year?  Maybe I am delusional but I feel we are capable, with this OC, our line and our backs, to put 31 points on the board.  I am hoping that we have been planning for the playoffs for the past 2-3 games.

And by the way there is no way we lose to the Browns, absolutely no way.  If they dig Joe Gilliam up (God rest his sole) and he would pick that defense apart. headbang
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #17 on: Dec 23, 2008 at 11:25 »

im worried about the loss.  Im worried that they will play the starters sparingly against cleveland, stink it up possibly on O and end up losing the game entirely. 

IMO, Pittsburgh could sit everybody against Cleveland and they should still win.

Ken fucking Dorsey??!!  C'mon.

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: