Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Oct 22, 2014 at 16:59 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Laughable  (Read 579 times)
Preacherman0
Old School Member

« on: Jan 08, 2009 at 08:40 »

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/pgStory?contentId=9044262&MSNHPHMA#sport=NFL&photo=9043822

Fox Sports...oh my, there's an oxymoron...*sigh*

Honestly, in ranking the QBs, it looks like they simply took the guys who had the best statistical season, and I can understand that.  But it's playoff time.  You have to say:  If I needed a guy to win one game for me, who would it be?  If I need a guy to take me 80 yards in less than 2 minutes, who would I want? 

With that in mind, I'd go:

8. Flacco
7. Collins
6. Delhomme
5. McNabb
4. Warner
3. Big Ben
2. Rivers
1. Eli

No way do I want Delhomme over Ben, in the playoffs or otherwise.  I hate Rivers, but the guy is good.  I'm no fan of Eli, but he showed a lot of sac on the biggest stage last year.  Love McNabb, but in the last 2 minutes?  No thanks.

We have traded Christ for the religion of Christianity.
msdmnr2002
Old School Member

« Reply #1 on: Jan 08, 2009 at 08:53 »

Confidence in engineering game-winning drive:

8.  Flacco - obvious.  Rookie, never done it before
7.  Collins - just because he hasn't really had to do it.
6.  McNabb - actually think he's better than this, but this is a tougher list than it looks initially.
5.  Warner - 7-10 years ago he would be much higher, but not now.
4.  Eli - Did it on the biggest stage, but a lot of good fortune on that one huge play - would have to to see it again.
3.  Delhomme - proves his grit in that SB against Pats - if that kickoff doesn't go OOB, would have had chance to get legendary OT comeback win.
2.  Rivers - can't believe I'm putting him this high.  I think I'm giving him too much credit for last week. 
1.  Ben (HOMER ALERT!!!!) - Just seen him do it too many times in the clutch, even when having an otherwise bad game.  Haven't seen the others turn around a crappy performance in the last 2 drives.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #2 on: Jan 08, 2009 at 09:31 »

8. Flacco, for the reasons noted above.  To be fair, he's performed much better than I thought he would.  But on the big stage, at crunch time?
7. Collins.  To many flashbacks to mediocrity, not to mention the ghastly performance in the Super Bowl versus the Ratties.
6. Warner.  When he's on, man he can move that Cardinals offense.  He's shown he can win big.  But I don't think he handles adversity well.  In other words, when he's hot he's hot, and when he's not, he's ice cold.
5. Delhomme.  He's had some nice comebacks, including the SB and this year's win at SD.  He's an excitable boy (hide the pot roast), but I don't think he's an elite crunch time guy, a few examples to the contrary notwithstanding.
4. McNabb.  I should drop his ass for the pukes versus the Pats in a game the Eagles could have won, but McNabb is still a top threat IMO: can make all the throws, has icewater in his veins, and don't forget his wheels.  Rush Limbaugh can go fuck himself.
3. Eli.  I've had some fun at The Toe's expense, what with him looking not only like a pedal digit but also like a big, snuffy-nosed crybaby.  But something clicked for this guy last year, and IMO he's finally showing that talent and leadership Accorsi had a boner for.  Without Plax, he's got a limited offense, but I can see him rallying the lesser lights to get the job done.
2. Livers.  The guy is a pissy little spaz, and frankly I'd like to chain him to a trailer hitch of an F-250 and do doughnuts in a mall parking lot -- not to kill him, mind you, but just to skin that stinkin' sneer off his face for good.  But give him his due, he's the best pure passer of the class including Ben and Eli, and he's had lots of close games and comebacks. 
1.  Ben, and not without a heavy dose of homerism.  As much as we all have been down on him this year, come on... Come the fuck on... We've all seen the magic.  We're down 7, 10 points in the fourth, do you give up?  Walk out of the stadium, turn off the game and watch Bambi, decide to join a monastery?  The only other guy in recent memory with that same razzle dazzle magic was Favre, whose recent post-season and big game play has tarnished some of that.  We've seen Ben go from shitty stats and performance to golden play at the drop of a hat.  Ben still has so much unrealized potential, and if we ever upgrade the Gaggle of GashesTM and the heinous depravity that is Bruce "Satan" Arians, maybe we'll see Ben reach that level and make little exercises like this seem silly. 

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
pensodyssey
Halfsharkalligator halfman.
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #3 on: Jan 08, 2009 at 09:34 »

A shabby Charlie Brown.
Preacherman0
Old School Member

« Reply #4 on: Jan 08, 2009 at 10:20 »

Ben still has so much unrealized potential, and if we ever upgrade the Gaggle of GashesTM and the heinous depravity that is Bruce "Satan" Arians, maybe we'll see Ben reach that level and make little exercises like this seem silly. 

So you don't like Bruce Arians?  Wink

Honestly, on the second part of the question, I don't know if there is a QB in the league at all that I'd prefer over Ben in the last two minutes.  He struggled some in that role this year, but dude has been money this year (and even in years past).

He is apparently an Elway disciple, and his career resembles Elway in some ways, especially this year.  Elway was not statistically great in many years.  But with the game on the line, who do you want taking the snap?  I'll take either of those 7s.  (Or Montana).

We have traded Christ for the religion of Christianity.
dare2beme

« Reply #5 on: Jan 08, 2009 at 11:09 »

Fox Sports...oh my, there's an oxymoron...*sigh*

FOXymorontm

If you ain't a Steeler fan, you're just a Jag-off...especially here in Jacksonburgh, FL!
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #6 on: Jan 08, 2009 at 11:39 »

8. Flacco.
7. Collins.
6. Delhomme.
5. Warner.
4. Rivers.
3. McNabb.
2. E.Manning.
1. Ben.

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
whitmer_87
Brownstains can suck my Member

« Reply #7 on: Jan 08, 2009 at 11:50 »

What's more of an oxymoron? FOX Sports...or FOX News?

"The duty of the comedian is to find out where the line is drawn, and cross it deliberately."-George Carlin
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: