Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Apr 18, 2014 at 00:58 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 ... 5  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What gives?  (Read 3344 times)
rockafella
N00b

« on: Dec 21, 2008 at 15:40 »

I've been watching the Steelers for years, and I'm going to pull my hair out if I see Ben hold on to the football one more time.  He refuses to simply throw it away, and instead likes to take sacks for negative yards or just fumble it completely.  I'm going to take heat for this but someone has to say it.  Roethlisberger is ruining the Steelers offense!  There is way too much offensive talent on this football team to be struggling with scoring points EVERY SINGLE week!!  Every top tier team the Steelers have played against they've lost to.  (Colts, Giants, Eagles and now Titans)  And in each of these games Roethlsiberger has lost the game by either holding on to the football too long, or throwing interceptions.  One of these four teams, not to leave out the Panthers, is the favorite to win the Super Bowl this year.  The lack of a solid run game for the Steelers will only expose him further.  Now I admit the guy is pretty clutch when it comes to driving the team down the field at the end of a game, but how long can the Steelers continue to rely on 2nd half comebacks due to scoreless or 3 point first halves from turnovers on the offensive end in the fist half of ball games.  The Steelers will go fairly far in the playoffs this year b/c they're simply a good team with a great defense, but turnovers from the QB will do them in once they face a team like the Titans or Colts.  Leftwich needs to start, but it's a pitty we won't see that happen.  They'd be unstoppable with a QB that could take care of the football and throw down field. 
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #1 on: Dec 21, 2008 at 16:23 »

Ben was bad today, no doubt.  But his OL isn't helping the situation.  He's gonna have to learn to throw it away, though, no doubt.  Sometimes there's something to be had by extending the play and sometimes there isn't.  Hopefully he'll learn the difference.  If there were just the hint of a running game this season then I'm sure the offense would look completely different.  And don't forget, the Steelers need to Fire Bruce Arians!

But there's no way that Lefty should be playing unless Ben is too hurt to go.

"I like David Bowie, he was always my favorite member of Tin Machine."
- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
Captain Chaos
Old School Member

Underachieving Member

« Reply #2 on: Dec 21, 2008 at 16:38 »

Does anyone see the correlation between a poor running game and the poor passing attack when we play good teams? It all comes down to our pitiful offensive line. This unit was bad today in every aspect of the game. Jason Jones, a ROOKIE defensive tackle, totally schooled Kemo and Hartwig for 3.5 sacks today. That is unacceptable! I can't imagine what this game would have looked like if Haynesworth and Vanden Bosch were in uniform. You can't tell me that Roethlisberger and Parker just suddenly forgot how to play football. This line sucks, has sucked and will suck! The fact that the front office has ignored the problem for the past several off-seasons is simply baffling.

Just one man's opinion.

"It's a big game because it's the next game." - Mike Tomlin
jasonic
Brownstains can suck my Member

« Reply #3 on: Dec 21, 2008 at 20:27 »

Leftwich looked good in the second half of that one game but no way in hell should he start over Big Ben...Remember, he just secured more wins than any QB EVER at his age.  Everyone has a bad game, we had records waiting on this game that are hard to break so give them a break.  I look at it as a perfect wake up call right before the playoffs...they need to play tough and now they know it.   Last quarter heroics only last so long.  No way i'd have Leftwich running this shit.  didn't you see Ben scramble and juke out that DB and dive for the first down???  that's what I'm talking about.

"If you make every game a life and death proposition, you're going to have problems. For one thing, you'll be dead a lot."
rockafella
N00b

« Reply #4 on: Dec 21, 2008 at 22:42 »

He only scored more wins b/c of the team he's had.  The Steelers had a remarkable team with an incredible power running game in '05.  Anyone could have been the quarterback on that team and still have won the title.  Not much was asked of him.  And this is not just one bad game or I would be mentioning it.  I only hope they can deal with the problem.  Low turnover ratio they'll be fine.   
bamf16
Old School Member

« Reply #5 on: Dec 22, 2008 at 07:25 »

Anyone could have been the quarterback on that team and still have won the title.  Not much was asked of him. 

Which of the NFL Countdown analysts are you?  I keep hearing that from people who try to diminish Ben as a QB.  Your argument loses all credibility when watching the playoff games against the Bengals, Colts, and Broncos.  Awhile back I posted the rushing stats of those games, and it wasn't pretty.  A whole hell of a lot was asked of Ben at times in that season.  The 2004 team was the much better rushing team.

No one wants to hear about the labor pains, they just want to see the baby.
--Lou Brock
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #6 on: Dec 22, 2008 at 12:12 »

Yes.  Clearly he's not the answer.

I mean, if the team wins, it's because of the guys around him.  If they lose, it's all on him.

Please, bring back Tommy Gun or Krodell Stuard.  After all, they won many Championships with their remarkable teams and power running games.  You know, like the 8-8 '03 team?  The one that Ben took over in '04 with which he set a record or two?

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #7 on: Dec 22, 2008 at 13:59 »

ROFFELSPUKE IS OVER_RATTED AND ANYONE WHOSE IS NOT A STILLERS HOMER KNOWS IT...  HE WAS DARFTED BEHIND ELLI MANGING AND PHILRIP RIVELS, AND BE HONESS... THEIR BETTER THAN ROFFELSPUKE... HE ROTE THE COATTALES OF THE SUPPER BLOW TEAM, AND NOW THAT TEAM AINT SO GOOD NO MORE... WHOPPSIE DAISY, SUDDENLY NAITHER IS ROTTENSBLARFER.... HMMM>>> CONCIDENSE?!?!? <<<  UMM, I DON"T THINK SO...

OH BUT ALL YOU BUTT LOVERS HAVE TO STICK UP LIKE LITTEL JAILHOSS BITCHES FOR BEN BECUZ IT ALL THE FALT OF THE OFFENSE LINE, OR OF FAT "WILY" PRAKER, OR NAT WASHINGSTONE HAD A DROP, ECT., ECT, EVER WEEK IT A NEW EXCUSS WITH YOU GUYS, JEESH... MOST TTE TIME BEN IS RUNNING AROUND IN THE POCKITS LIKE A MONKEY WITH A TICK ON ITS ASS, HE DON'T KNOW WHO TO THROW TO, ARYAN IS PROBALLY ON THE SIDELINE YELLING WHO HE'S SPOSE TO THROW THE BALL TOO...  BEN IS A RETORT.  IT WAS A MISTEAK DARFTING THIS A$$H@LE, AND IT WAS A MISTEAK GIVING HIM A BIG ESTENSION, AND IT A MISTEAK LETTING HIM KEEP HIS JOB WHEN CHRALIE BATSCH IS READY AND ABLE TO START FOR US...  OR EVEN DONALD DIXON, HELL ANYTHING WOULD BE BETTER THAN BEN BARFENSHITSANDPUKESEN BERGERERS...

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
rockafella
N00b

« Reply #8 on: Jan 01, 2009 at 23:53 »

Think about it bamf16.  If you have to go back 3 or 4 years ago to point out something good that Ben did, don't you think something is wrong?  Ben had a good rookie year b/c he simply wasn't turning the ball over.  The same was said of Kordell Stewart in that when he didn't have too many turnovers the Steelers would win ball games.  Let's just challenge your theory for a moment.  Case in point.....the Steelers won the Super Bowl during the '05-'06 season, and the VERY NEXT year miss the playoffs completely!!!!  Now if it wasn't because of the losses to the roster of the great team that they had the year before (Jerome Bettis, Mike Logan, Randle El, Duce Staley, Joey Porter just to name a few!), then why did they miss the playoffs only 1 year after winning the Super Bowl?  That's laughable!  OBVIOUSLY it had nothing to do with Roethlisberger's influence on the game!  They just didn't have the same supporting cast.  Being a Steelers fan myself, I completely understand your desire to protect the on field reputation of a Steelers quarterback.  But call it for what it is!  And now Ben is coming off his 3rd concussion in 3 years, including the motorcycle debacle.  Considering all of this, who knows how he's going to play in this years playoffs?  All I know is every time Lefty comes in the game good things happen, and the ball easily moves down field.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #9 on: Jan 02, 2009 at 08:45 »

Was 2007 really 3 or 4 years ago?

Did Ben not drive the field to win the game against the vaunted Ravens D?

Duce Staley was a big loss?

:huh:

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
Pages: [1] 2 ... 5  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: