Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Dec 20, 2014 at 14:19 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Perspective  (Read 948 times)
Preacherman0
Old School Member

« on: Dec 22, 2008 at 16:24 »

We have traded Christ for the religion of Christianity.
DCSteelers
Old School Member

« Reply #1 on: Dec 22, 2008 at 19:29 »

The team will go as far as Big Ben takes it. 

Will the Ben of the Jax game last year show up, or the Ben of 05'?
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #2 on: Dec 23, 2008 at 09:39 »

*Bump*

I agree with all that, Preach, except that last year I was dubious of SB chances going into the playoffs because the D was limping down the home stretch (even though the O was flying high): A. Smith, Pola, and Clark were all gimpy or out.  This year, the D may have been called on to carry the team too much, but I don't buy that they're physically or mentally tired.  The loss to the Titans may actually fire them up more.  In any event, I think the D carrying the O is more likely than the reverse would be.

If Ben can avoid turnovers and BA can just be close to competent, as he has shown flashes of from time to time, I think we can surprise a lot of folks.  In any event, I'm not counting out a team with the Jaws of Death (92 & 56); Thee Most Underrated D-Lineman of the Past Decade, Aaron "I wear a child's helmet" Smith; and the Swarm (43, 24, 25, 20, 26, 22, etc.).  Hey, maybe somebody will piss off Casey at the wrong time, and he will blow up the center and actually eat the opposing QB. 

I've said it time and again, we have plenty of talent on the offense, at least at the so-called "talent positions," and if the OL can pull their shit together for THREE GAMES, why not?

Why NOT?

And here's the thing.  It's fine to expect we won't be going to Tampa, but I plan to enjoy each game we play in this postseason, whether we soar or crash and burn, because crying and pissing about getting to the playoffs and then losing just ain't worth it.  Look at how many teams just don't get to the post-season, year in and a year out.  We have a chance at magic: if it's meant to be, it's meant to be; if not, we had some great moments this season.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #3 on: Dec 23, 2008 at 11:17 »

Good post preach, I agree with much of it.  But like finny said, they're a 3 game run away from #6 and why not?  So far, Evil Ben has been the exception more than the rule.  If he can realize that with a lead - any lead - it's best to play it safe and let the defense do their thang, then they should be in every game.

Actually, they should be able to overcome even minor meltdowns from thee qb (they were leading the Titans after 2 turnovers).  But these multi fumble multi INT games simply must stop.  That's on Ben.  Play designs and selection may not be top-notch but in the end, he's the one holding the ball.

Let Parker spell Moore, who should be getting the most snaps.  Get Ben to be more conservative with the lead or even tied.  The defense is there.  Special teams is more than adequate.  Smells like victory.

"I like David Bowie, he was always my favorite member of Tin Machine."
- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
Preacherman0
Old School Member

« Reply #4 on: Dec 25, 2008 at 09:09 »

I'm feeling a little better now (:rolleyes:) after my rant earlier this week.  I'm an offensive guy (in MANY ways!) who played offense and coached offense.  Obviously, our offensive offense has me more than a little offended.

I just remain concerned that Arians and Co. are going to dig us a hole that our defense can't get us out of.  However, if there is any D that can pull us out of Hell, it's LeBeau and the crew.  After a second look, I think Sunday was a blip on the screen rather than any kind of trend for the D. 

I am hoping that, much like 2005, maybe our offense will look different in the playoffs.  I don't expect us to suddenly develop a running game or anything like that, because we've seen no evidence whatsoever that we are that kind of team.  But, as you say, perhaps we can show some improved execution and take better care of the football.

Again, as weird as it sounds, I like our chances if we can get there.  For one game, I'd put Ben and our defense up against ANYONE in this league.

And here's the thing.  It's fine to expect we won't be going to Tampa, but I plan to enjoy each game we play in this postseason, whether we soar or crash and burn, because crying and pissing about getting to the playoffs and then losing just ain't worth it.  Look at how many teams just don't get to the post-season, year in and a year out.  We have a chance at magic: if it's meant to be, it's meant to be; if not, we had some great moments this season.

Kornheiser and Wilbon were talking a couple of weeks ago about the constant "turnover" in the NFL.  Tony said that from what he sees, there is only one team that's good every year:  the Pittsburgh Steelers.  Two guarenteed weeks of bonus football, win or lose, is much better than the alternative.  I am very much looking forward to the playoffs, even with my "negative waves."

give'emthaboot
Old School Member

« Reply #5 on: Dec 25, 2008 at 12:33 »

I"m not down on the D at all after the Titans game.  The whole gameplan reeked of vanilla.  Dickie knew there was a decent chance we face these guys again in the playoffs, so why tip our hand 3 weeks before?  Absolutely no blitz schemes, Troy wasn't running around the line of scrimmage (seriously, does that ever happen?).  It was basically just blitz Harrison and Woodley from the outside and put everyone in coverage.  Keep Troy deep and try to beat them the old-fashioned way.  Titans offense is going to come into that (potential) playoffgame with way more confidence than they should, and they are going to get absolutely destroyed.  Those assholes won't know what hit them.

Of course, I'd like to say the offensive gameplan was purposely vanilla, but that's just Arians.
 cussing

Bring on the AFC!

'Oh, my, James Harrison is not going to the White House, he must be a devil worshiper!'
ben2hines4six

Proud member of STEELER NATION!!!!!!

« Reply #6 on: Dec 28, 2008 at 12:53 »

I hate to see it, but I now agree with Preach.

I felt okay after the Titans loss, because I kind of saw that as a let down game and predicted it to happen. I did NOT, however, predict them to struggle so mightily with a pathetic Browns team at home.

The ONLY teams I feel like Pittsburgh should be favoured against are any of the teams from the AFCE, and even then, I would not want to face the Pats.

This O is beyond pitiful, and unfortunately the D has been showing a couple chinks in the armour the last couple of games (Lewis is looking mighty productive right now).

Just not optimistic at all anymore, and hoping for the best (rather then expecting it) seems like the logical way to go.

Nevertheless, GO STEELERS!
Joetorious
Brownstains can suck my Member

« Reply #7 on: Dec 28, 2008 at 20:35 »

I hate to see it, but I now agree with Preach.

I felt okay after the Titans loss, because I kind of saw that as a let down game and predicted it to happen. I did NOT, however, predict them to struggle so mightily with a pathetic Browns team at home.

The ONLY teams I feel like Pittsburgh should be favoured against are any of the teams from the AFCE, and even then, I would not want to face the Pats.

This O is beyond pitiful, and unfortunately the D has been showing a couple chinks in the armour the last couple of games (Lewis is looking mighty productive right now).

Just not optimistic at all anymore, and hoping for the best (rather then expecting it) seems like the logical way to go.

Nevertheless, GO STEELERS!

I didn't get a chance to see/listen to the game, but could there really be that many things wrong with a 31-0 victory? Are you being sarcastic and I'm just not getting it?

Tell 'em...Large Marge sent ya! Bwhahahaha
Preacherman0
Old School Member

« Reply #8 on: Dec 29, 2008 at 23:49 »

Sunday, we played very much like the game didn't mean anything.  And we still won 31-0, so I'm not sure how much we should take (positive or negative) from Sunday. 

I'm just saying, quite simply, that I have no confidence in our offensive coaching staff (or the line on which they depend) to design a game plan that will get us another ring.  Here's to hoping that I am dead wrong.

I do have confidence in our defense, and believe that a week off is going to do them a world of good.  If they can keep us in games, then who knows what can happen?  Ben can shoot from the hip with the best of them.  Either way, it's playoff time, so we'll just have to wait and see.

ben2hines4six

Proud member of STEELER NATION!!!!!!

« Reply #9 on: Jan 01, 2009 at 16:50 »

Preach, agreed on all accounts.

Joetorious, I obviously wrote that a little bit premature as the Steelers were only up by 7 at the time. Having said that, they did sleepwalk their way to a convincing win (at least on the scoreboard). So, not exactly sure what to make of that. I thought the troops would come out fired up and really DESTROY the Browns (i.e. WELL before Ben's injury....up to that point, it was a struggle).

Playoff time now though, onwards and upwards!!!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: