Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Nov 24, 2014 at 10:36 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 [4] 5  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Back from the game - met the Bus  (Read 3038 times)
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #30 on: Aug 08, 2009 at 17:10 »

Deadwood was right up there with it, but they wrapped it up rather abruptly; for some reason HBO just yanked it.  Give The Wire a chance though.  Each season they focus on a different part of the city:  police force, drug trade, school system, newspaper, etc.  So while there are always some main characters, the focus shifts and comes back around over time and they aren't afraid to kill off a great character.  The Wire deserves all the praise it gets.

"I like David Bowie, he was always my favorite member of Tin Machine."
- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
PghSteel-43
Old School Member

« Reply #31 on: Aug 08, 2009 at 17:39 »

Deadwood was right up there with it, but they wrapped it up rather abruptly; for some reason HBO just yanked it.  Give The Wire a chance though.  Each season they focus on a different part of the city:  police force, drug trade, school system, newspaper, etc.  So while there are always some main characters, the focus shifts and comes back around over time and they aren't afraid to kill off a great character.  The Wire deserves all the praise it gets.

It just stinks that it starts off in season four on HBO ondemand.  I'm sure Hollywood video would have the past seasons on DVD.  Do you know how many seasons there are in total jonzr?  Is it over or is the series still running?
« Last Edit: Aug 08, 2009 at 17:41 by PghSteel-43 » Logged
jasonic
Brownstains can suck my Member

« Reply #32 on: Aug 08, 2009 at 22:18 »

the spike lee katrina docs weren't too bad but definitely rock the Wire.  I was sick for a week and a half and borrowed all the DVDs and watched all 5 seasons pretty much nonstop.  Guaranteed awesome.

as for the Umbrella guy, all I know is the guy that held P. Diddy's umbrella has his own show now - From G's to Gents.  it's pretty bad but very humorous for all the right reasons.  If you're ever feeling down about yourself, watch an episode and you'll bounce right back.

"If you make every game a life and death proposition, you're going to have problems. For one thing, you'll be dead a lot."
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #33 on: Aug 08, 2009 at 22:19 »

I think The Wire was 5 seasons (maybe 6) and it wrapped last year.  I'd certainly advise against jumping in at the 4th season.  I guess you could, but watching it from the start would be ideal.

- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
PghSteel-43
Old School Member

« Reply #34 on: Aug 08, 2009 at 23:05 »

the spike lee katrina docs weren't too bad

I can't watch anything that man makes.  I wanted to see Miracle at St. Anna, but after finding out that he was the director I changed my mind.  I watched "Assault in the Ring" last week and that was pretty good.  Did you catch it jasonic?  Pretty messed up.  That has really been the only documentary on HBO that I actually enjoyed in a long time.

as for the Umbrella guy, all I know is the guy that held P. Diddy's umbrella has his own show now - From G's to Gents.  it's pretty bad but very humorous for all the right reasons.  If you're ever feeling down about yourself, watch an episode and you'll bounce right back.

It seems like just about everyone and anyone can get a reality tv show these days.

« Last Edit: Aug 08, 2009 at 23:07 by PghSteel-43 » Logged
PghSteel-43
Old School Member

« Reply #35 on: Aug 08, 2009 at 23:09 »

I think The Wire was 5 seasons (maybe 6) and it wrapped last year.  I'd certainly advise against jumping in at the 4th season.  I guess you could, but watching it from the start would be ideal.

Yeah, I can't watch a series if I have not seen it from the beginning.  I'll give it a try tomorrow.  Thanks for the info jonzr. 
LambertsFrontTeeth
Old School Member

« Reply #36 on: Aug 09, 2009 at 06:38 »

PghSteel,

You really have to watch "Wire" in order from the beginning. It is a show with a ton of characters, and little threads of storyline, sometimes that take several seasons to wrap up.  Every season has a master storyline, but each season harkens back to the previous as well.

It's not "Law and Order", you can't just catch an episode to enjoy. It's worth the time to check it out.

"Dreith said I hit Sipe too hard. I hit him as hard as I could. Brian has a chance to go out of bounds and he decides not to. He knows I'm going to hit him. And I do. History."
- - - Jack Lambert, after referee Ben Dreith ejected him from a game for knocking out Browns QB Brian Sipe.
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #37 on: Aug 09, 2009 at 12:20 »

the spike lee katrina docs weren't too bad but definitely rock the Wire. 

Yeah, I thought the Katrina docs were very good.

- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
jasonic
Brownstains can suck my Member

« Reply #38 on: Aug 09, 2009 at 15:16 »

usually I am not a spike lee fan besides do the right thing, he got game (not sure why but i loved it) and I was shocked he was the director of Inside Man.  not his style at all of movie.  the kobe documentary was unwatchable, so bad and even worse because he stole the idea from a documentary about Zidane where they followed him for a whole game with 30 cameras and I heard it was awesome (if you like soccer) but unfortunately i can't find it anywhere on DVD. 

I haven't seen the Assault in the Ring but I'll check it out.  just watched Bloods and Crips by Stacy peralta who did the Dogtown and the surfing doc which were pretty awesome.  It was ok, i'd give it a look if you're interested in that shiznit, thankfully no snoop wearing ravens gear in it.....saw hurt locker last night, it was pretty intense.  recommended.

"If you make every game a life and death proposition, you're going to have problems. For one thing, you'll be dead a lot."
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #39 on: Aug 09, 2009 at 18:55 »

Heard good things about Hurt Locker as well.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
Pages: 1 ... 3 [4] 5  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: