Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Nov 29, 2014 at 02:57 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 ... 5 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Report from B-more  (Read 4236 times)
Puma170
Bleedin' Black and Gold behind enemy lines

« on: Dec 29, 2008 at 08:39 »

So, after the Rat clinched their playoff spot yesterday, the crazies are out in fool force.  Apparently, as long as they don't have to play the Colts, the Ravens are a cinch to win the AFC.  The Steelers, Titans, Dolphins, and Chargers don't scare them at all. 

Does anyone ever feel this way about the Steelers?  I usually think that they aren't going to do well but the majority of this city seems to think that the Ravens are the team to beat...

I have to move.

PUMA
LambertsFrontTeeth
Old School Member

« Reply #1 on: Dec 29, 2008 at 08:51 »

I fear that this team could advance to the AFC championship round. 

"Dreith said I hit Sipe too hard. I hit him as hard as I could. Brian has a chance to go out of bounds and he decides not to. He knows I'm going to hit him. And I do. History."
- - - Jack Lambert, after referee Ben Dreith ejected him from a game for knocking out Browns QB Brian Sipe.
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #2 on: Dec 29, 2008 at 09:38 »

As much as I think they should easily cover the (-3) against the Fins this weekend, it wouldn't surprise me if they overlook Miami and lose.

Dolphins have a decent defense; a very good running game; a good offensive line; and, a QB that doesn't turn the ball over and gets rid of it quickly. 

And, I don't care how good the Ravens have looked.  The playoffs are a new season.  Win or go home.  That tends to do a little something something to rookie QBs...especially rookie QBs that have to play on the road.  Pennington, for all of his shortcomings (perceived?), has the edge there, but I'd bet that Ravens fans wouldn't agree with that.

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #3 on: Dec 29, 2008 at 09:49 »

They did beat Miami 27-17 earlier in the season, but that was before the Phins started believing they belonged.  Now you got Porter all riled up and you know how he hates the Ravens.

If Miami can keep the Ravens special teams and defense from scoring they should have a good shot at winning.  Hell, Curly Sue threw for almost 300 yards on em last time.

Maybe Joey can put Fucko on the ground a few times, soften him up a bit.

"I like David Bowie, he was always my favorite member of Tin Machine."
- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #4 on: Dec 29, 2008 at 12:49 »

Sorry, I still have to call the Ravens heavy faves in this matchup.  They're playing pissed off right now, and their defense would have to lay an egg for them to lose, IMO.  Teams that have the best chance of taking the Ravens out of their defensive gameplan entirely can stretch the field, go deep early and often.  Curly Sue gonna do that?  Nah, don't think so.  Ben's arm is IMO still effed up, or else we could have taken it to them in both games and staked a good 2-TD lead. 

Ravens actually have a good path to the AFCC.  Fins should lose.  They played the Titans close, and will again, but anyone facing the Titans will likely get a pretty close game, but IMO the momentum is leaving the Titans.  Once in the AFCC, Steelers will play 'em close; Colts would again match up well; Chargers might actually match up well if not for the fact that they're down LT and will prolly lose to the Colts.  So I see the Ratties as having a nice path to an AFCC loss.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #5 on: Dec 29, 2008 at 13:03 »

Sorry, I still have to call the Ravens heavy faves in this matchup. 

I may haveta bet the Ravens big in this one.  Win, win, IMO.  Unless, of course, they win a 21-20 squeaker.

Puma170

« Reply #6 on: Dec 29, 2008 at 13:18 »

Sorry, I still have to call the Ravens heavy faves in this matchup.  They're playing pissed off right now, and their defense would have to lay an egg for them to lose, IMO.  Teams that have the best chance of taking the Ravens out of their defensive gameplan entirely can stretch the field, go deep early and often.  Curly Sue gonna do that?  Nah, don't think so.  Ben's arm is IMO still effed up, or else we could have taken it to them in both games and staked a good 2-TD lead. 

Ravens actually have a good path to the AFCC.  Fins should lose.  They played the Titans close, and will again, but anyone facing the Titans will likely get a pretty close game, but IMO the momentum is leaving the Titans.  Once in the AFCC, Steelers will play 'em close; Colts would again match up well; Chargers might actually match up well if not for the fact that they're down LT and will prolly lose to the Colts.  So I see the Ratties as having a nice path to an AFCC loss.

I can't have this.  No Ravens in the Super Bowl.  I can survive in Pittsburgh doesn't make it but if the Ravens do, it might be more than I can take.

PUMA

Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #7 on: Dec 29, 2008 at 13:50 »

Well, as I said, I see an easy path for the Ravens to an AFCC loss.

But really, all four of the major AFC players (Colts, Tits, Stillers, and Purple Rodentia) have some major flaw.

jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #8 on: Dec 29, 2008 at 14:01 »

I have to believe there is some way the Phins can beat those bastiches.  No belief in the power of Joey's pre-game exposed abs?

Now, I sincerely hope they're gonna bring more to the table than the fucking Wildcat. 

- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #9 on: Dec 29, 2008 at 14:04 »

Sure, anything's possible.  I wouldn't put any damned money on it, though.

Y2Joyce
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #10 on: Dec 30, 2008 at 00:07 »

Joey Porter, his abdominals, and home-field advantage > a rook coach/QB combo....right?

THIS IS DECEMBER FOOTBALL, MEN

Steelers 58-15 when I am in attendance.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #11 on: Dec 30, 2008 at 08:38 »

Joey Porter, his abdominals, and home-field advantage > a rook coach/QB combo....right?

THIS IS DECEMBER FOOTBALL, MEN

WHAT DOSE JOYCE PORTERS' ABOMINABLES HAVE ANYTHING TOO DOO WITH WHO WILL WINE THIS GAME, JOCE?!?  THE PORBLEM IS THE CHEPASS RONNEYS, YOU KNOW SOME TEAM IUS OUT THERE GETTING THE BESS FREE ANGENTS BECUZ THEY OPEN UP THE CHECK BOK, BUT NOT ART AND DAN RONNEY, NO SIRREEE.  WHOEVER WIN THIS GAME, LOOK AT WH9O THEY BRUNG IN, THE DOOFINS WERE 1-156 LASS YEAR, UM HELLO...  GET ON THE HORN TO SCAB PENNINGINGTON, AND LOOKEE HEAR, SUDDENLY THEY IN THE PLAYOFF,... CONCIDENCE  >>>>I THINK NOT!!!!!!!!!<<<<<<<<   THE RAVINES SING FABIO WASHINTON WHEN THE RADDERS DINT WANT HIM... BAD MOVE?  WELL HE DOIN OK NOW, GUESS WHO THE SMART ONES IS?!?  WHY DINT WE DARFT JOAN FALCO, INSTEAD THE RONNEYS SAYS "hEY LETS CEHEAPP IT OUT HERE AND SING SOME RUNG BACK, THE DAMN KID IS INJURED AND CAN YOU SAY "BUSSED??!?"  >>>>>>>>>>>IDIOTS<<<<<<<<<<<<< SO YOU LITTEL SISSIES CAN TALK ABOUT JOY PROTERS ABLIMINALS ALL YOU WANT BUT I'LL TELL YOU WHOSE GONNA BE LAUGHIN IN TAMPA THIS YEAR WHEN THEY LIFT THE LOMBRADY, AND IT WONT BE BEN "CHUMP' RUFFINSBLARGER...

pensodyssey
Halfsharkalligator halfman.
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #12 on: Jan 01, 2009 at 10:59 »

So that's Puma and Brinker to add to the dead pool...

A shabby Charlie Brown.
Puma170

« Reply #13 on: Jan 04, 2009 at 16:49 »

I'mnot sure of the rules, but the one tha I am requires and AP release on the death.  Unless I some how make it about being a Steelers fan, I doubt I make it.  Feel free to use me though, at least something good would come it then.

PUMA
pensodyssey
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #14 on: Jan 05, 2009 at 00:26 »

I'mnot sure of the rules, but the one tha I am requires and AP release on the death.  Unless I some how make it about being a Steelers fan, I doubt I make it.  Feel free to use me though, at least something good would come it then.

PUMA

Ours just requires a wikipedia entry, and I'm pretty sure I could arrange that for you.

A shabby Charlie Brown.
whitmer_87
Brownstains can suck my Member

« Reply #15 on: Jan 05, 2009 at 00:54 »

Has anyone heard anything about Brinker and his melon? Maybe it's too late to add him to the pool... shit

"The duty of the comedian is to find out where the line is drawn, and cross it deliberately."-George Carlin
Spen

« Reply #16 on: Jan 05, 2009 at 11:36 »

So, after the Rat clinched their playoff spot yesterday, the crazies are out in fool force.  Apparently, as long as they don't have to play the Colts, the Ravens are a cinch to win the AFC.  The Steelers, Titans, Dolphins, and Chargers don't scare them at all. 

Does anyone ever feel this way about the Steelers?  I usually think that they aren't going to do well but the majority of this city seems to think that the Ravens are the team to beat...

I have to move.

PUMA

I havent talked to anyone like that. Not one person. Now most everyone I know liked the Ravens chances against the Dolphins but knew it was going to be much tougher after that game.

I knew I didnt want to play the Colts or the Steelers. As for the Titans I am not sure I have seen them play all year, that was the one Raven game I missed this season. I cannot recall watching them play anyone else.
« Last Edit: Jan 05, 2009 at 11:48 by Spen » Logged
Puma170

« Reply #17 on: Jan 05, 2009 at 12:19 »

I have heard that repeatedly at work and heard essentially the same argument spouted on 105.7 all last week.  The exact quote from Ken Weinman was the Ravens have the easiest path to the Super Bowl and they will make it as long as they don't have to face the Colts.  I asked Mrs. Puma if I heard it right and she said it back verbatim. 

It is what drives me nuts about this town.  Last year, when they went 5-11, all the purple went away and nobody wanted to talk football.  Now, at 11-5 and in the playoffs, everyone wants to come and give their resident Steeler fan shit even though all I do is wear my Steelers tie to work and have my Steelers coffee mug.  I have no problem with supporting your local team and that I and in the wrong market.  I also get that there are asses on all sides of the football and that some Ravens fans that are friends are knowledgeable and good fans that you can have a football conversation with but to be the whipping boy for all the jerks, gets a little old. 

PUMA
Spen

« Reply #18 on: Jan 05, 2009 at 14:55 »

I have heard that repeatedly at work and heard essentially the same argument spouted on 105.7 all last week.  The exact quote from Ken Weinman was the Ravens have the easiest path to the Super Bowl and they will make it as long as they don't have to face the Colts.  I asked Mrs. Puma if I heard it right and she said it back verbatim. 

It is what drives me nuts about this town.  Last year, when they went 5-11, all the purple went away and nobody wanted to talk football.  Now, at 11-5 and in the playoffs, everyone wants to come and give their resident Steeler fan shit even though all I do is wear my Steelers tie to work and have my Steelers coffee mug.  I have no problem with supporting your local team and that I and in the wrong market.  I also get that there are asses on all sides of the football and that some Ravens fans that are friends are knowledgeable and good fans that you can have a football conversation with but to be the whipping boy for all the jerks, gets a little old. 

PUMA

Oh sports talk radio, I cant listen to that. It seems to me that after a win everyone thinks their team is going all the way and after a loss everyone thinks their team sucks eggs. And upwards of 75% of sports radio callers can barely piece together a coherent comment. Basing an opinion on a city's fanbase by listening to sports radio would probably be the equivalent of basing an opinion on city's populations intelligence by talking to 1st graders.

Gee I wonder why more people want to talk about a playoff team than one that collapsed last year? I can't figure it out.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #19 on: Jan 05, 2009 at 15:27 »

PUMA

Oh sports talk radio, I cant listen to that. It seems to me that after a win everyone thinks their team is going all the way and after a loss everyone thinks their team sucks eggs. And upwards of 75% of sports radio callers can barely piece together a coherent comment. Basing an opinion on a city's fanbase by listening to sports radio would probably be the equivalent of basing an opinion on city's populations intelligence by talking to 1st graders.

Gee I wonder why more people want to talk about a playoff team than one that collapsed last year? I can't figure it out.

True dat.  And, fact is, you're going to live amongst homerism when you're in an "enemy" city.

Puma170

« Reply #20 on: Jan 05, 2009 at 15:42 »

PUMA

Just a thought but most of the Steelers fans (and not the casual band wagon guys, fans) will talk Steelers all the time.  When the Steelers went 6-10, they still talked Steelers if only to complain about them going 6-10.  I find it annoying that the little old lady in the classroom beside mine wants to talk trash but doesn't know who the Ravens will play when they "beat the crap out of the Dolphins." 

Just to be clear, it wasn't a caller, it was the "professional" claiming this. 

I like how you can just dismiss what I have heard by saying that isn't what you think.  People in this town are saying it whether you heard it or not and I don't get it because I just assume the worst while the Raven "fans" I have to deal with think the they are "Super Bound" and on the Road with Joe. 

PUMA
Spen

« Reply #21 on: Jan 05, 2009 at 15:56 »

Just a thought but most of the Steelers fans (and not the casual band wagon guys, fans) will talk Steelers all the time.  When the Steelers went 6-10, they still talked Steelers if only to complain about them going 6-10.  I find it annoying that the little old lady in the classroom beside mine wants to talk trash but doesn't know who the Ravens will play when they "beat the crap out of the Dolphins." 

I like how you can just dismiss what I have heard by saying that isn't what you think.  People in this town are saying it whether you heard it or not and I don't get it because I just assume the worst while the Raven "fans" I have to deal with think the they are "Super Bound" and on the Road with Joe. 

PUMA

There were a good number of people talking about football and the Ravens last year as well, not as many as this year and it was mostly complaints but it was there.

You mean the "professional" whose job it is is to get people to listen and hopefully call in to their silly show?

Aww don't be upset, just because I haven't heard anyone make those comments and am critical of your sources doesn't mean I dismiss them. We may just travel in different circles. By all means don't let me get in the way of the all Baltimore fans are fair weather bandwagon idiots picture you are trying to paint.

SCacalaki
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #22 on: Jan 05, 2009 at 19:47 »

Nobody who lives in Bawlmore is ever truly happy...

Words to live by:  "Dick LeBeau is Dick LeBeau," Tomlin said. "Everybody knows Dick."
Puma170

« Reply #23 on: Jan 06, 2009 at 07:04 »

PUMA

There were a good number of people talking about football and the Ravens last year as well, not as many as this year and it was mostly complaints but it was there.

You mean the "professional" whose job it is is to get people to listen and hopefully call in to their silly show?

Aww don't be upset, just because I haven't heard anyone make those comments and am critical of your sources doesn't mean I dismiss them. We may just travel in different circles. By all means don't let me get in the way of the all Baltimore fans are fair weather bandwagon idiots picture you are trying to paint.

and you aren't the be all and end all voice of Baltimore sports.  I think I mentioned that I know some good Raven fans.  The fact is, this is a good sports town and I should know as an Orioles fan.  If you win, then everyone was there always.  If they lose, they could care less.  This isn't a unique Baltimore situation, but it is really prevalent here.  I guess I understand your would need to be a little defensive when one team leaves your city in the middle of the night and the new team has a solid 12 seasons of tradition.  Look out, the upcoming 15th anniversary celebration should be big...

PUMA
« Last Edit: Jan 06, 2009 at 07:07 by Puma170 » Logged
vinman3
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Master of the Obvious

« Reply #24 on: Jan 06, 2009 at 07:08 »

I guess I understand your would need to be a little defensive when one team leaves you city in the middle of the night and the new team has a solid 12 seasons of tradition.  Look out, the upcoming 15th anniversary celebration should be big...

PUMA

Oh, Snap!  popcorn

It's a hot night. The mind races. You think about your knife; the only friend who hasn't betrayed you, the only friend who won't be dead by sun up. Sleep tight, mates, in your quilted Chambray nightshirts.
Spen

« Reply #25 on: Jan 06, 2009 at 10:54 »

and you aren't the be all and end all voice of Baltimore sports.  I think I mentioned that I know some good Raven fans.  The fact is, this is a good sports town and I should know as an Orioles fan.  If you win, then everyone was there always.  If they lose, they could care less.  This isn't a unique Baltimore situation, but it is really prevalent here.  I guess I understand your would need to be a little defensive when one team leaves your city in the middle of the night and the new team has a solid 12 seasons of tradition.  Look out, the upcoming 15th anniversary celebration should be big...

PUMA

Yeah one team left in the middle of the night when I was a little kid and could not have cared less and the Ravens won a super bowl before the Colts did, I am not sure how I live with the pain.

Again, I'm sorry I upset you I didn't know you were so fussy. I didn't mean to hurt the tale you were weaving.

« Last Edit: Jan 06, 2009 at 10:58 by Spen » Logged
Puma170

« Reply #26 on: Jan 06, 2009 at 10:58 »

PUMA

Yeah one team left in the middle of the night when I was a little kid and the Ravens won a super bowl before the Colts did, I am not sure how I live with the pain.

Again, I'm sorry I upset you I didn't know you were so fussy. I didn't mean to hurt the tale you were weaving.

No, I am sure every Ravens fan is classy and knowledgeable like you seem to be proposing...  Let's go with that.  That sounds right.

I guess if you want to hear what the media is saying in Baltimore you can ask me.  If you want to know what Spen and his friends are saying, well, you know where to get that information as well.

PUMA
Spen

« Reply #27 on: Jan 06, 2009 at 11:00 »

Oh stop being pitiful. I just said I had not heard one person say what you stated everyone was. And then chuckled at talk radio as a source. I didnt once claim to speak for the entire city, nor did I once claim everyone was knowledgeable or classy.
Puma170

« Reply #28 on: Jan 06, 2009 at 11:10 »

I just don't see the point of even bringing it up.  You are on a Steelers board.  The natural flow of things is for me to see the worst in the Ravens fan base and point it out here.

You are willingly coming here so expect it to be one sided.

The problem I had was that you were essentially calling me out and saying that it isn't being said.  In your circle, maybe not.  On something everyone in the city could hear.  It was. 

I made concessions early on about their being solid football fans that also root for the Ravens.  I don't know why you have your panties in a wad about it not being the case.  It was said, in the media.  Period.

PUMA
Spen

« Reply #29 on: Jan 06, 2009 at 11:15 »

I brought it up because I havent heard it, I was bringing a different viewpoint. I think I am allowed to do that. Honestly I dont see why you got upset at anything I said yet the insults started.
leighclay
Old School Member

« Reply #30 on: Jan 06, 2009 at 11:27 »

Why don't you guys take this outside?
 boxing

I'm still the one with the boobs.
Puma170

« Reply #31 on: Jan 06, 2009 at 11:45 »

I guess we got off the wrong foot. 

Here's what you said:  "I'm a Ravens fan and my friends and I don't think that is the case."

Here's what I read:  "Puma is full of shit and he is making up stuff about the best fan base in all of sports.  The Baltimore Ravens FANS!!!"

I am hyper sensitive because I have to put up with it all day long.  I come here to avoid it and felt like it was creeping in...

PUMA
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #32 on: Jan 06, 2009 at 12:44 »

Now, now...if I can go into enemy territory and break bread with a few purpley garbed individuals (regardless of how misguided they may be), anyone can.

Can't we all just get along??

Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #33 on: Jan 06, 2009 at 12:58 »

YOU DONT' GET IT LAW, IF WE DONT' OFFEND AGAINST THESE RAVEEN INVADERS TO OUR MAGISSUM GRILLE STEELEES BOARD, SOON THE PLACE BE OVER -RON WITH THEM, AND GOOD POSTERS LIKE YOU AND ME AND PEACHERMAN AND SPENS AND VINEMAN WONT;' EVEN BE ABLE TO TALK GOOD STEEELERS FOOTBALL!!!

KILL THE RAVINS FANS!!!!!!!

Spen

« Reply #34 on: Jan 06, 2009 at 13:48 »

I guess we got off the wrong foot. 

Here's what you said:  "I'm a Ravens fan and my friends and I don't think that is the case."

Here's what I read:  "Puma is full of shit and he is making up stuff about the best fan base in all of sports.  The Baltimore Ravens FANS!!!"

I am hyper sensitive because I have to put up with it all day long.  I come here to avoid it and felt like it was creeping in...

PUMA

No worries man, thats not what I meant but I can see how you could read it that way.

YOU DONT' GET IT LAW, IF WE DONT' OFFEND AGAINST THESE RAVEEN INVADERS TO OUR MAGISSUM GRILLE STEELEES BOARD, SOON THE PLACE BE OVER -RON WITH THEM, AND GOOD POSTERS LIKE YOU AND ME AND PEACHERMAN AND SPENS AND VINEMAN WONT;' EVEN BE ABLE TO TALK GOOD STEEELERS FOOTBALL!!!

KILL THE RAVINS FANS!!!!!!!

That make a lots of sense. My doors locked though.
Big Virgil
Old School Member

« Reply #35 on: Jan 06, 2009 at 14:09 »

LETS TALK SOME FOOTBALL!!!!!1111

Looks like you've been missing a lot of work lately.
I wouldn't say I've been *missing* it, Bob.
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #36 on: Jan 06, 2009 at 16:17 »

Damn, I thought they were gonna eventually take it to the Orange Julius to get this settled, yo!

- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
pensodyssey
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #37 on: Jan 07, 2009 at 20:19 »

Damn, I thought they were gonna eventually take it to the Orange Julius to get this settled, yo!

Comedian will be the one in the throwback... er, he Ravens don't have a throwback.

A shabby Charlie Brown.
DrRockit
No longer a N00b!

« Reply #38 on: Jan 09, 2009 at 12:12 »

Ravens throwback uniform.
Big Virgil
Old School Member

« Reply #39 on: Jan 09, 2009 at 12:18 »

Excellent choice for your 1st post.

Looks like you've been missing a lot of work lately.
I wouldn't say I've been *missing* it, Bob.
leighclay
Old School Member

« Reply #40 on: Jan 09, 2009 at 12:50 »

Excellent choice for your 1st post.

I agree.  Well played.
 clap

I'm still the one with the boobs.
Puma170

« Reply #41 on: Jan 09, 2009 at 13:26 »

EXCELLENT!!!

PUMA
jasonic

« Reply #42 on: Jan 10, 2009 at 00:17 »

headbang clap bowdown

welcome aboard, pun intended

"If you make every game a life and death proposition, you're going to have problems. For one thing, you'll be dead a lot."
VaBchSteelersfan

« Reply #43 on: Jan 10, 2009 at 18:51 »

Awesome post, LMAO!

"Now that I'm here, I don't want to just be here, I want to be here for a long time." Hines Ward, 1998 4th round draft pick.
Spen

« Reply #44 on: Jan 11, 2009 at 14:48 »

Comedian will be the one in the throwback... er, he Ravens don't have a throwback.

No they dont, and judging from the looks of most of the throwbacks, Steelers included,  I am not sure thats a bad thing.

I guess I could dig up something with the first logo on it.
pensodyssey
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #45 on: Jan 11, 2009 at 20:27 »

No they dont, and judging from the looks of most of the throwbacks, Steelers included,  I am not sure thats a bad thing.

I guess I could dig up something with the first logo on it.

I heard the original name was the Maryland Crabcakes, but Modell didn't like shellfish.

A shabby Charlie Brown.
Pages: 1 2 ... 5 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: