Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Aug 29, 2014 at 03:09 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Report from B-more  (Read 3798 times)
Puma170
Bleedin' Black and Gold behind enemy lines

« Reply #20 on: Jan 05, 2009 at 15:42 »

I have heard that repeatedly at work and heard essentially the same argument spouted on 105.7 all last week.  The exact quote from Ken Weinman was the Ravens have the easiest path to the Super Bowl and they will make it as long as they don't have to face the Colts.  I asked Mrs. Puma if I heard it right and she said it back verbatim. 

It is what drives me nuts about this town.  Last year, when they went 5-11, all the purple went away and nobody wanted to talk football.  Now, at 11-5 and in the playoffs, everyone wants to come and give their resident Steeler fan shit even though all I do is wear my Steelers tie to work and have my Steelers coffee mug.  I have no problem with supporting your local team and that I and in the wrong market.  I also get that there are asses on all sides of the football and that some Ravens fans that are friends are knowledgeable and good fans that you can have a football conversation with but to be the whipping boy for all the jerks, gets a little old. 

PUMA

Oh sports talk radio, I cant listen to that. It seems to me that after a win everyone thinks their team is going all the way and after a loss everyone thinks their team sucks eggs. And upwards of 75% of sports radio callers can barely piece together a coherent comment. Basing an opinion on a city's fanbase by listening to sports radio would probably be the equivalent of basing an opinion on city's populations intelligence by talking to 1st graders.

Gee I wonder why more people want to talk about a playoff team than one that collapsed last year? I can't figure it out.

Just a thought but most of the Steelers fans (and not the casual band wagon guys, fans) will talk Steelers all the time.  When the Steelers went 6-10, they still talked Steelers if only to complain about them going 6-10.  I find it annoying that the little old lady in the classroom beside mine wants to talk trash but doesn't know who the Ravens will play when they "beat the crap out of the Dolphins." 

Just to be clear, it wasn't a caller, it was the "professional" claiming this. 

I like how you can just dismiss what I have heard by saying that isn't what you think.  People in this town are saying it whether you heard it or not and I don't get it because I just assume the worst while the Raven "fans" I have to deal with think the they are "Super Bound" and on the Road with Joe. 

PUMA
Spen

« Reply #21 on: Jan 05, 2009 at 15:56 »

Just a thought but most of the Steelers fans (and not the casual band wagon guys, fans) will talk Steelers all the time.  When the Steelers went 6-10, they still talked Steelers if only to complain about them going 6-10.  I find it annoying that the little old lady in the classroom beside mine wants to talk trash but doesn't know who the Ravens will play when they "beat the crap out of the Dolphins." 

I like how you can just dismiss what I have heard by saying that isn't what you think.  People in this town are saying it whether you heard it or not and I don't get it because I just assume the worst while the Raven "fans" I have to deal with think the they are "Super Bound" and on the Road with Joe. 

PUMA

There were a good number of people talking about football and the Ravens last year as well, not as many as this year and it was mostly complaints but it was there.

You mean the "professional" whose job it is is to get people to listen and hopefully call in to their silly show?

Aww don't be upset, just because I haven't heard anyone make those comments and am critical of your sources doesn't mean I dismiss them. We may just travel in different circles. By all means don't let me get in the way of the all Baltimore fans are fair weather bandwagon idiots picture you are trying to paint.

SCacalaki
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #22 on: Jan 05, 2009 at 19:47 »

Nobody who lives in Bawlmore is ever truly happy...

Words to live by:  "Dick LeBeau is Dick LeBeau," Tomlin said. "Everybody knows Dick."
Puma170

« Reply #23 on: Jan 06, 2009 at 07:04 »

PUMA

There were a good number of people talking about football and the Ravens last year as well, not as many as this year and it was mostly complaints but it was there.

You mean the "professional" whose job it is is to get people to listen and hopefully call in to their silly show?

Aww don't be upset, just because I haven't heard anyone make those comments and am critical of your sources doesn't mean I dismiss them. We may just travel in different circles. By all means don't let me get in the way of the all Baltimore fans are fair weather bandwagon idiots picture you are trying to paint.

and you aren't the be all and end all voice of Baltimore sports.  I think I mentioned that I know some good Raven fans.  The fact is, this is a good sports town and I should know as an Orioles fan.  If you win, then everyone was there always.  If they lose, they could care less.  This isn't a unique Baltimore situation, but it is really prevalent here.  I guess I understand your would need to be a little defensive when one team leaves your city in the middle of the night and the new team has a solid 12 seasons of tradition.  Look out, the upcoming 15th anniversary celebration should be big...

PUMA
« Last Edit: Jan 06, 2009 at 07:07 by Puma170 » Logged
vinman3
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Master of the Obvious

« Reply #24 on: Jan 06, 2009 at 07:08 »

I guess I understand your would need to be a little defensive when one team leaves you city in the middle of the night and the new team has a solid 12 seasons of tradition.  Look out, the upcoming 15th anniversary celebration should be big...

PUMA

Oh, Snap!  popcorn

It's a hot night. The mind races. You think about your knife; the only friend who hasn't betrayed you, the only friend who won't be dead by sun up. Sleep tight, mates, in your quilted Chambray nightshirts.
Spen

« Reply #25 on: Jan 06, 2009 at 10:54 »

and you aren't the be all and end all voice of Baltimore sports.  I think I mentioned that I know some good Raven fans.  The fact is, this is a good sports town and I should know as an Orioles fan.  If you win, then everyone was there always.  If they lose, they could care less.  This isn't a unique Baltimore situation, but it is really prevalent here.  I guess I understand your would need to be a little defensive when one team leaves your city in the middle of the night and the new team has a solid 12 seasons of tradition.  Look out, the upcoming 15th anniversary celebration should be big...

PUMA

Yeah one team left in the middle of the night when I was a little kid and could not have cared less and the Ravens won a super bowl before the Colts did, I am not sure how I live with the pain.

Again, I'm sorry I upset you I didn't know you were so fussy. I didn't mean to hurt the tale you were weaving.

« Last Edit: Jan 06, 2009 at 10:58 by Spen » Logged
Puma170

« Reply #26 on: Jan 06, 2009 at 10:58 »

PUMA

Yeah one team left in the middle of the night when I was a little kid and the Ravens won a super bowl before the Colts did, I am not sure how I live with the pain.

Again, I'm sorry I upset you I didn't know you were so fussy. I didn't mean to hurt the tale you were weaving.

No, I am sure every Ravens fan is classy and knowledgeable like you seem to be proposing...  Let's go with that.  That sounds right.

I guess if you want to hear what the media is saying in Baltimore you can ask me.  If you want to know what Spen and his friends are saying, well, you know where to get that information as well.

PUMA
Spen

« Reply #27 on: Jan 06, 2009 at 11:00 »

Oh stop being pitiful. I just said I had not heard one person say what you stated everyone was. And then chuckled at talk radio as a source. I didnt once claim to speak for the entire city, nor did I once claim everyone was knowledgeable or classy.
Puma170

« Reply #28 on: Jan 06, 2009 at 11:10 »

I just don't see the point of even bringing it up.  You are on a Steelers board.  The natural flow of things is for me to see the worst in the Ravens fan base and point it out here.

You are willingly coming here so expect it to be one sided.

The problem I had was that you were essentially calling me out and saying that it isn't being said.  In your circle, maybe not.  On something everyone in the city could hear.  It was. 

I made concessions early on about their being solid football fans that also root for the Ravens.  I don't know why you have your panties in a wad about it not being the case.  It was said, in the media.  Period.

PUMA
Spen

« Reply #29 on: Jan 06, 2009 at 11:15 »

I brought it up because I havent heard it, I was bringing a different viewpoint. I think I am allowed to do that. Honestly I dont see why you got upset at anything I said yet the insults started.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: