Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Sep 20, 2014 at 01:11 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cowher  (Read 724 times)
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« on: Dec 29, 2008 at 12:40 »

Is gonna be mighty popular for the next few months.

Not sure if this should be posted in the Steeler forum or not, but whatever.  If someone wants to move it, feel free.

Cowher.  Cowher.  Cowher.

Cowher...Cowher...Cow-her.

Funny.

When he was the Steeler coach, he was "overrated," "couldn't win the big one," "fortunate to coach some very good teams," "[insert your favorite basher argument here]," etc., etc.

Now, he's the greatest thing since sliced bread.  8 million per?  10 million per?  Sure.  He's worth it.  Teams will be tripping over each other to get first in line to make him the richest HC.

Now, I'm not surprised by any of this because I think most of us said a few years back that he'd get a blank check to coach somewhere.  It's just that all of the detractors have somehow become mute because I haven't heard'a single one lately.

Maybe we should start a poll?  Look for the deep(est) pockets and a team that's willing to give him Holmgren~like personnel control.

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #1 on: Dec 29, 2008 at 12:44 »

I've read he turned the Browns down, and that Dan Rooney says he doesn't think Cowher will coach this year...

For all my criticisms of Cowher in the past, I have to say there were some atrocious coaching jobs done this year.  I think it's gotta be the right combo -- of money, control, and a good ownership structure -- that will lure BC back.  Unfortunately for him, not many places have the kind of relationship with their coaches that the Stillers do.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
VaBchSteelersfan
Brownstains can suck my Member

« Reply #2 on: Dec 29, 2008 at 12:58 »

Bill's having a big time on CBS right now, not much pressure and still plenty of home time with Kaye. It's going to take a fat wad of cash to get him back on the coaching field. I don't see it happening. Never say never, I know but I just don't see it happening...

"Now that I'm here, I don't want to just be here, I want to be here for a long time." Hines Ward, 1998 4th round draft pick.
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #3 on: Dec 29, 2008 at 13:14 »

TEN.  MILLION.  To COACH.

With Holmgren retiring, that would be somewhere near double what the next highest paid HC (Coughlin @ 5 and change, I think) makes.

You'd think that teams would be leery of throwing that kinda cash at a retread (term not meant to be disparaging...maybe "veteran" is better?) coach when there are several rookie HCs (Harbaugh, Sparano, whatshisface in Atlanta that I can't seem to recall right now...) doing wonders for their organizations.

10 million vs. a mil?

*shrug*

Whatever.

If someone is willing to go that far, I'd be very impressed (shocked?) if Cowher turns it down.

jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #4 on: Dec 29, 2008 at 13:41 »

Bill's having a big time on CBS right now, not much pressure and still plenty of home time with Kaye. It's going to take a fat wad of cash to get him back on the coaching field. I don't see it happening. Never say never, I know but I just don't see it happening...

He's probably telling CBS, "Look, just get rid of Boomer and I'll do another season.  I can even take that horseface guy but Boomer has GOT TO GO!"

"I like David Bowie, he was always my favorite member of Tin Machine."
- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #5 on: Dec 30, 2008 at 13:53 »

Carr Parr not going to the Jets.

Peter "Puffer" King reporting he won't coach until 2010, unless Bernanke uses some TARP funds and rolls about $5 billion his way...

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #6 on: Dec 30, 2008 at 14:23 »

I dunno.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3799959

give'emthaboot
Old School Member

« Reply #7 on: Dec 30, 2008 at 17:46 »

I'd hate to see Cowher coaching somewhere else, but I would kinda like him to take Colbert with him wherever he may end up.  This team could use a new perspective from a personnel standpoint, and Colbert leaving to rejoin Cowher is probably the only way that happens.

'Oh, my, James Harrison is not going to the White House, he must be a devil worshiper!'
Merman1983
Old School Member

Master of the figure-four leglock

« Reply #8 on: Dec 30, 2008 at 18:09 »

I'd hate to see Cowher coaching somewhere else, but I would kinda like him to take Colbert with him wherever he may end up.  This team could use a new perspective from a personnel standpoint, and Colbert leaving to rejoin Cowher is probably the only way that happens.

Plus we could throw in Arians. I'm sure the Jets could use a new wr coach. He's got offensive coordinator experience!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: