Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Oct 23, 2014 at 01:09 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bruce Arians: Upon further review...  (Read 1667 times)
Preacherman0
Old School Member

« on: Dec 31, 2008 at 21:45 »

Since we're still in the 'Burg this week, I was listening to espn 1250 this evening.  I was "lucky" enough to catch an interview with Bruce Arians.

My frustration and feelings on Arians are pretty much the same as most everyone else's on this board.  After hearing this interview, my spite for him has reached an entirely new level. 

This guy has to be the most arrogant jackass coaching in the NFL.  Okay, well, maybe not THE most, but he's gotta be pretty close.  I absolutely couldn't believe what I was hearing.  He said that our running game had been sufficient this year--not great, but sufficient (not the exact word, but his exact words gave it even more credit).  The guy doing the interview started to question him about the run game on Sunday, the two-back sets, etc.  Arians kept cutting him off and saying stuff like, "Well, I was around when the Steelers won the Super Bowl and they didn't do that running the ball." 

"We only ran seven plays with a fullback and only two of them worked."

"Willie's touchdown was on the same play as the Super Bowl.  He wasn't complaining about not having a fullback."  (or something to that effect)

It wasn't just what he said.  It was the totally cocky way he blew off anything that questions what he was doing or how the offense is designed.  He was just completely brash, and even sounded (IMO) like he was blowing off FWP or anyone else who dared to criticize his offensive "genius."

After listening to this dingleberry, I'm not surprised that our offense has regressed over the last two years.

We have traded Christ for the religion of Christianity.
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #1 on: Jan 05, 2009 at 09:37 »

I can't stand Mike Martz, but I gotta say that if it came down to Arians or Martz...I'd probably bite the bullet and opt for the latter.

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
Merman1983
Old School Member

Master of the figure-four leglock

« Reply #2 on: Jan 05, 2009 at 11:24 »

I have a strong feeling, even if we go deep and win it all, that BA is gone after this year. I honestly believe that he and Tomlin have to be clashing behind closed doors. Tomlin seems like the kind of guy who would love to run the ball and control the clock.

The stats this year don't lie. Yeah, there have been injuries, but there's no excuse for a team who prides itself on running the ball not to be able to run at all against anyone but the bottom feeders of the NFL. And a 24th ranking in the NFL sucks no matter how you slice it.

There's also no excuse not to be able to execute screens to slowdown the passrush when I see the likes of Tavaris Jackson and Mcnabb running them to perfection.

The whole keeping of Carey Davis as a "pass receiving" fullback has worked for shit too. He's caught like 5 passes for 9 yards in 2 years. You're going to tell me Kreider wouldn't improve the short yardage O? Instead we got some Lion castoff TE trying to lead on the goaline. Yuck.

I think when Tomlin sits down to evaluate the offensive performance there will be changes along the O-line and BA is gone. Bring in a veteran OC who will take advantage of the player we have. At least a guy who can get the O in the top half of the league.

Preacherman0
Old School Member

« Reply #3 on: Jan 05, 2009 at 12:23 »

I think when Tomlin sits down to evaluate the offensive performance there will be changes along the O-line and BA is gone. Bring in a veteran OC who will take advantage of the player we have. At least a guy who can get the O in the top half of the league.

I'd take Mularkey back over Arians.

And BTW, what is the deal with the Whizzinator growing some testes come playoff time?  I couldn't believe they came out running the ball.  I couldn't believe what he was doing at the end of the game vs. ATL.  Maybe if he'd been calling the plays, we wouldn't have had the Ben Sweep vs. the Jags last year.

Puma170
Bleedin' Black and Gold behind enemy lines

« Reply #4 on: Jan 05, 2009 at 12:27 »

I am absolutely not defending this prick because I dislike him as much as anyone else and I didn't hear the interview.  Having said that, I would imagine I would get a little "snippy" as well if I was as publicly bad at my job as he is.  I am sure that everywhere he went, he got an earful from the black and gold faithful about fullbacks, and controlling the clock, and screens.  I know I would have said all those things to him.  

I wouldn't be surprised he if doesn't get fired but is released from his contract to accept another position elsewhere...

PUMA
steelerfaninCO
Old School Member

« Reply #5 on: Jan 05, 2009 at 12:44 »

The fact that this offense is incapable of running a screen play, a feat which no other team including the winless Lions could achieve, says it all about Arians and really LZ as well. The timing is complete shit, the RB's don't know where to go, the OL are not holding their blocks long enough to sell the play, and the QB either gets almost INTed, or has to throw the ball into the RB's feet. Its a disgrace. And takes what could be a great play against Ben hungry DL's and throws it out the window.

I can't believe I'm about to say it but..... This delayed draw that is always good for negative yardage makes me yearn for the days of the Verron Haynes 3rd down draw. WTF? This offense can't even execute the simplest of plays. Not even the 36 Smash anymore.

And while I'm ranting about that shit head Arians, I'm sick of seeing him on the sidelines talking to Ben like "Well, that didn't work, what do you want to go with next?". Ummm, how 'bout a cohesive game plan tailored to the strengths and weaknesses of that particular defense taking into account that your OL sucks donkey dicks? I know Ben likes him, probably because he is on the sidelines asking Ben's opinion a lot, but is it really helping the team?

The Steelers need an experienced OC who can break film down, develop a game plan, and call the shots. Let Ben do his thing in the no huddle, and go to it a little more during the entire game. There is just too much talent here to struggle like they have.
Preacherman0
Old School Member

« Reply #6 on: Jan 05, 2009 at 12:47 »

Having said that, I would imagine I would get a little "snippy" as well if I was as publicly bad at my job as he is.  

I would agree that this would be a natural reaction.  But I guess that was the troubling part of it--he wasn't just defensive or bristling at the questions.  He was just downright ARROGANT, just talking down to the interviewer (I think it was Guy Junker, who can be annoying).  I fully expected him at some point to just say, "All these Yinzers are a bunch of dumbasses and I'm the greatest offensive mind of all-time!"  He sounded like the proverbial high school all-star QB talking to the class chess champion.  

He wasn't really defending himself or even defending the players.  He wasn't even responding to statistics or criticism.  He was just talking like everyone else is...stupid.  He reminded me a little of GW, only with a more arrogant tone.

steelerfaninCO
Old School Member

« Reply #7 on: Jan 05, 2009 at 12:53 »

He reminded me a little of GW, only with a more arrogant tone.

Really?  That's impressive! W is the king of the "What is it about what I'm saying that you dumb asses just don't get?" tone and look.

Of course I'm assuming GW is refering to our beloved President.
Preacherman0
Old School Member

« Reply #8 on: Jan 05, 2009 at 13:29 »

I know Ben likes him, probably because he is on the sidelines asking Ben's opinion a lot, but is it really helping the team?

Ben likes everyone that leaves.  He was upset about Plexiglass, Whizzinator, Cowher, etc.  He even called out Tomlin over dinner when he first arrived.  He'll get over it.  By next year, he might even realize that he's better off when he's still in one piece by the end of the season.

Preacherman0
Old School Member

« Reply #9 on: Jan 05, 2009 at 13:31 »

Of course I'm assuming GW is refering to our beloved President.

Naturally.  I'm wondering if BA had the facial expression to go along with the tone of voice.

Oh, wait...I wouldn't be able to see it because Bruce would have his face hidden behind his play sheet.  He's like Wilson on Home Improvement.

Just a hint Bruce--apparently your handwriting is big enough for defense to read directly off the sheet.  The mouth cover isn't helping.

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: