Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Nov 23, 2014 at 01:45 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 8 [9] 10 11   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: MGS Weight Loss 2009  (Read 7996 times)
Big Virgil
Old School Member

« Reply #80 on: Oct 22, 2009 at 12:22 »

Holidays looming.  Disciplined as I try to be, everywhere you look there are pies, cakes, cookies, candies, everything with refined sugar and flour.  It's a very difficult time to navigate, even when you tell people you don't want gifts of sweets -- they seem to ignore that.  I'm not a big sweet hound, but if there's pumpkin pie in the fridge...  you know how it goes.

I'm beginning my holiday program at work, which for you newbies means not eating anything at work that I don't bring with me.  That is BV's annual Holiday health tip.  I swear it saves me 10 pounds every year during the holiday season.  I have my share of regular/unhealthy meals on the weekends like pizza and stuff, but I really don't enjoy eating things like Pumkin Pie (which is my favoite pie) and cheese cake etc., which is a good thing.  We have an ice cream cake in the Freezer that has been there since my B-day 6 weeks ago.  Had a small piece last Saturday evening after a big ride, and was OK with that, but otherwise I don't even think about eating it.

Looks like you've been missing a lot of work lately.
I wouldn't say I've been *missing* it, Bob.
Big Virgil
Old School Member

« Reply #81 on: Oct 22, 2009 at 12:32 »

I feel like i'm below 230, hopefully approaching 225.  I'll find when I get some batteries.

Check Mrs. BV's nightstand. You may need to crack open the Super Rabbit. Make sure to put them back.

Played hoops for the first time in 4 months yesterday. Sprained my ankle back in June. Only ran for 2 games. I had the joint that attaches your big toe to your foot, fused, many years back. That fusion is now broken, and needs more surgery. It's like 8 weeks in a non weight bearing cast. Did that once and don't feel like doing it again.

Still lifting at the Y and doing my cardio on the girly eliptical. Chipping away.

Otis getting Chippy at the gym, in a good way.  Keep it up.

I have only lifted once or twice in prolly the last 4 or 5 weeks.  The kids are killing me right now.  I have to get them to activities 3 nights per week, Mon - Wed, then I have been riding on Thurs after work, Fri - lift, rest, or run whatever errands, and ride on the weekend.  That's it.  The guns are getting a little puny, but snow yesterday and soceer only being another 2 weeks, I can get back to it.  Arms, chest, and legs are looking rather trim with all of the bike riding cardio, but the gut seems to be the last part that burns fat.  Clothes fit better so progress is being made, I presume. 

Big Virgil
Old School Member

« Reply #82 on: Dec 10, 2009 at 12:28 »

BV's plan of not eating stranger food at work has been temporarily suspended for today.

My building has Griswald Grazing Day every year in December.  Each "department" comes up with a theme and goes all out.  About half do breakfast and half do lunch.  It is unbelievable delish!!!!!!!!  On this day I understand why people eat things like cinnamon rolls, becasue they are yummy.

I am up 2 lbs on the scale for the year, as of last week, so not bad for the year, but dissapointing considering the bike riding.  Gained enough muscle in legs to account for the 2 lbs, but disappointed the waist line didn't get any smaller.

Don't know why - Later - time for grazing lunch.

Big Virgil
Old School Member

« Reply #83 on: Dec 29, 2009 at 11:28 »

Only 6 pages on the '09 weight loss thread.  You lazy b@stards!!!!!!!!

I did pretty good, but the week before Christmas there were too many cookies at home and liquor sounded really good frequently.  I surely gained 5 lbs after eating pretty well over Thanksgiving until the wknd before JC's Birfday.

Been riding the spin bike at the gym at least once per week, but haven't really been in there to lift or do anything else.  Definitely slacking.  Although last night burned 950 calories in 50 minutes with an avg heart rate of 160.  Oh yeah baby.

So, after New Years Eve, I'm thinking about laying off the liquor until mid Feb., which would be 6 weeks.  Hopefully kiddie activities don't start until end of January (wishful thinking I'm sure) as that cuts into the after work gym time.

Last year I said I wanted to lose 15 lbs by end of MArch and it didn't even happen over the curse of the year.  Gotta drop about 15 lbs, need to figure out how to make it work.  I have a "road bike" I bought in 1985 or 1986 I took in the other day to get tuned up.  A modern bike big enough for me probably only weighs about 20 lbs where mine is more like 30 lbs.  Anyway, we do get temps of 45 and 50 in the winter so I can still get some riding in and work the legs a bit.  That way I'll be ready to mash the mtn bike pedals in the spring.

I'm going to have end of year weigh in tomorrow or Thursday morning, just for fun.  I'm sure it will be disappointing and will hopefully provide more motivation for the beginning of '10.

otismalibu
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #84 on: Jan 21, 2010 at 13:51 »

Just so BV isn't posting alone...

Been pretty much stuck on the same number for the last year. My diet is what kills me. I'll eat too little for a few days, then go Walter Hudson for a couple of days. Back and forth.

So, I thought I'd invest a few bucks and take a new approach in '10.

I found a place that has one of those DEXA scanners and went for the body fat scan. Much more accurate than the calipers, and it shows were all the fat is located. Also gives lean mass number. It's not much fun to go over the results.  Shocked

Also met with a trainer/nutritionist yesterday. Yesterday's visit was all about food. I had to send her a detailed food diary, charting both good and bad days. Then she created a new meal plan for me. Today is day #1 on the 5-6 meals a day program. We'll tweak it if I'm not getting the desired weight loss (about 2 lbs/wk)

Next week I go back and she'll have a new workout routine for me.

The goal is to have another scan in 6 months and see no loss in lean mass (hopefully a gain) and a reduction in fat. The first scan you're just paying to be shamed.

We'll see.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #85 on: Jan 21, 2010 at 14:06 »

Otis, let me know if you want Farmer Bob's email addy, or info on where to get Kashi in bulk.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
otismalibu
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #86 on: Jan 21, 2010 at 14:13 »

Otis, let me know if you want Farmer Bob's email addy, or info on where to get Kashi in bulk.

Luckily, there was no Kashi on the list. The Mrs. bought some of that a few years back. It's still sitting in the cupboard.

If I have any success, I'm changing my user name to Steel Cut Oats.
Big Virgil
Old School Member

« Reply #87 on: Jan 21, 2010 at 15:27 »

Just so BV isn't posting alone...

Been pretty much stuck on the same number for the last year. My diet is what kills me. I'll eat too little for a few days, then go Walter Hudson for a couple of days. Back and forth.

So, I thought I'd invest a few bucks and take a new approach in '10.

I found a place that has one of those DEXA scanners and went for the body fat scan. Much more accurate than the calipers, and it shows were all the fat is located. Also gives lean mass number. It's not much fun to go over the results.  Shocked

Also met with a trainer/nutritionist yesterday. Yesterday's visit was all about food. I had to send her a detailed food diary, charting both good and bad days. Then she created a new meal plan for me. Today is day #1 on the 5-6 meals a day program. We'll tweak it if I'm not getting the desired weight loss (about 2 lbs/wk)

Next week I go back and she'll have a new workout routine for me.

The goal is to have another scan in 6 months and see no loss in lean mass (hopefully a gain) and a reduction in fat. The first scan you're just paying to be shamed.

We'll see.

That's awesome Oat!!!!!  How many calories are a typical meal, and how many calories are the "snacks"?  Also, what is a typical Breakfast, Lunch , and Dinner?

otismalibu
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #88 on: Jan 21, 2010 at 16:00 »

Basically breakfast, mid morning, lunch, mid afternoon, dinner. An evening snack on the 2nd plan.

The afternoon snack is around 300 cal. Today, my breakfast was around that and my mid morning, more like 700 cal. That's usually when I get back from the gym. You can sort of mix them up. I just need to try and hit the numbers for calories, protein, carbs, fat & fiber...and spread it thru the day.

To start off, she has me at nearly 3000 cal./day. I honestly can't see losing weight with that much intake, but I'll try it for a week and adjust if necessary. I'll probably come up a little short today.

Being day one, I can't really say what my typical meals with be. More carbs than I thought. Basic stuff. Fruit, oatmeal, soup, sandwich, chicken, pasta, potato, protein shakes.
Big Virgil
Old School Member

« Reply #89 on: Jan 22, 2010 at 08:00 »

3000 calories a day does sound like a lot.

I need to do something similar to what your are doing, as far as hiring some sort of dietician.  I finished the year where I started, and I think I get way more exercise than the average person.  Eating didn't change much over the course of the year, which means something needs to change if I want different results.

Some lady Mrs. BV knows has a trainer she really likes  and Mrs. BV wants us to go together.  I probably need to drastically change the work I do in the gym, so we are supposed to do start that some time soon.

Pages: 1 ... 8 [9] 10 11   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: