Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Sep 01, 2014 at 16:04 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 ... 11   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: MGS Weight Loss 2009  (Read 7712 times)
vinman3
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Master of the Obvious

« Reply #10 on: Jan 08, 2009 at 06:21 »

Over Christmas, I caught one of those colds where I didn't have any energy to do a damn thing, but the appetite wasn't affected.  I gained 6 pounds in 8 days.

Giving Weight Watchers a try.  Fiance lost 40 pounds on it, and her father lost 60. 

Friend of mine has lost over 100 pounds on WW. Good program, I just don't eat veggies, and don't have the discipline on WW that I do on Atkins. Best of luck to ya Bam.

It's a hot night. The mind races. You think about your knife; the only friend who hasn't betrayed you, the only friend who won't be dead by sun up. Sleep tight, mates, in your quilted Chambray nightshirts.
Big Virgil
Old School Member

« Reply #11 on: Jan 08, 2009 at 08:06 »

Over Christmas, I caught one of those colds where I didn't have any energy to do a damn thing, but the appetite wasn't affected.  I gained 6 pounds in 8 days.

Giving Weight Watchers a try.  Fiance lost 40 pounds on it, and her father lost 60. 

I think the best thing about WW is realizing what really constitutes a "serving" and portion control.  If you stay under your points, you'll definitely limit calorie intake.  My most recent health push that started about 1.5 years ago was started with WW.  If you like salad, you can really really stretch your points, since veggies are zero points.  One snack, or side, that I sometimes have with my lunch is carrots with salsa.  Sounds odd, but it is tasty, filling, and zero points.  You can get a lot more food that way vs eating the Smart Ones frozen lunches.

If you get some exercise while on WW, it certainly helps, and you get more points the days you exercise.

Bam - I did the "online" WW.  If you haven't checked it out, it is pretty cool.  You can create a food list of things you regularly eat, and when you eat something, you just drag it over to your meal tracker which makes all the tracking pretty easy.  You can also create meals if there is a certain meal you eat regularly.  I had two or three different breakfasts in my list so instead of dragging over each item, I could just do it once for the meal.  A little work creating your food list, but after that it is minimal work.  It is $16 per month, if I remember correctly, and that gives you access to a bunch of WW recipes and other online tools.  Some people need the meetings, but I definitely preferred this option.  You still weigh in once a week and you track and chart your weight etc etc.

Looks like you've been missing a lot of work lately.
I wouldn't say I've been *missing* it, Bob.
vinman3
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Master of the Obvious

« Reply #12 on: Jan 12, 2009 at 06:34 »

Big week for the Vinman! Lost 90% of the weight I gained over the holidays in one week. Pretty awesome! Considering I gained it in two, which sucked, I am pretty happy. Back under 270, this time....Definitely... For Good. And the Steelers are one win away from playing Arizona in the Super Bowl. NICE!

Official weigh-in...

Started - 307
Today - 269.9
Lost - 37.1 pounds

It's a hot night. The mind races. You think about your knife; the only friend who hasn't betrayed you, the only friend who won't be dead by sun up. Sleep tight, mates, in your quilted Chambray nightshirts.
Big Virgil
Old School Member

« Reply #13 on: Jan 12, 2009 at 07:50 »

Nice job Vin!!!!!!

Haven't been on the scale (might give it a go on Friday) but had a really good week last week with intake and exercise.  Even got in some racquetball on Saturday.

Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #14 on: Jan 23, 2009 at 14:44 »

Still up some (went from 243# to 230# for vacation, am back to 236# right now). 

But I decided to try something for the new year.   My blood pressure has been borderline high for 10 years now.  So I started on one med, then every couple of years my BP would creep up and the doc would add another med, and so on, until I was taking 4 BP meds the last couple of years.  Some meds made me dizzy, or lethargic, etc., and I never felt completely "good" on them.  Otherwise, I'm pretty damned healthy, or as my 93-year-old great aunt is fond of saying, "I'm in pretty good shape for the shape I'm in."  There is some longevity in the blood, with lots of relatives living well into 80s, 90s, and one I know of 100+. 

So I feel that the weight and BP may be related to some degree, but I never have liked the notion that once you're on BP meds, you're on them for life.  (A co-worker's husband "suddenly" developed severe high BP and had to go on meds about 4 years ago; he just turned 30.  Another co-worker just found out she has high BP and is now on meds; she's 34.  IMO, that's way, way, WAY too young for otherwise healthy individuals to be developing these symptoms.)   My last visit to the doctor, she didn't praise my recent weight loss, but rather bemoaned the fact that I wasn't responding as well to all these meds.  As she put it, this is the number of meds and dosage you'd have for someone in their 60s.

That made me determined to kick the meds (my apologies to msdmnr, who is probably going to shit reading this).  I've become proactive about food and diet, and I was reading Atkins' "Vita Nutrient Solution," in which he posits that many diseases (esp. diseases of lifestyle --  BP, diabetes, heart disease) can be managed or gotten back on track using supplements.  I know, the expensive pee argument.  But I also know that 10 years ago, maybe I didn't eat as well as I should have all the time.  And something must be causing young people to suddenly get their BP whacked.  What if it was something as simple as the sodium-potassium-magnesium balance in the cells getting out of whack and not getting back on track?

And frankly, meds like diuretics, used to reduce water in the system and hence lower BP, simply wash away potassium.  My personal feeling is that BP meds may sometimes exacerbate the condition over the long haul: or at least, they can reduce acute symptoms, but do nothing to correct root causes.  Now, a more judicious person might simply try to add these supplements (which other natural healing books tended to corroborate, more or less) while staying on the meds, just in case.  No need to Brinker and stroke out.  Me, I decided to log BP daily, stop all meds 1/1/09, and see what would happen.

On meds, the BP was 130s over 80s, pulse in the 80s.
Off meds, first two weeks, 140s over 90s, pulse in the 80s.  I grew concerned.
At exactly the two week mark, pulse again dropped to 130s over 80s... And since has tended more towards 120s over 80s (not sure why the diastolic number is not reacting as well as the systolic).  Pulse in the 70s.  Even had a few around 67.

This, with my exercise regimen again being somewhat lacking.  I hope that by dropping weight and exercising more regularly the BP does even better.

Point to all this is that I believe you can be proactive in your health, and that it pays to read widely about health and diet.  Especially diet.  Not "diets," but diet.  I'll update my reading list soon.

Also, if the fucking Super Bowl winds up being 34-3 Cards, you'll know that the reason I stopped posting is the fucking BP finally killed me.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
vinman3
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Master of the Obvious

« Reply #15 on: Jan 25, 2009 at 09:54 »

Looks like I forgot to post last week. I dropped to 268.1 from 269.9. Pretty well stayed the course this week, and dropped .6 pounds. Will take Super Sunday as a respite day to enjoy my homemade chili and store bought beer, and hopefully, a Steeler victory in Super Bowl XLIII.

Official weigh-in...

Started - 307
Today - 267.5
Lost - 39.5 pounds

Big Virgil
Old School Member

« Reply #16 on: Jan 26, 2009 at 07:57 »

In resposne to Finny's post, and in general, here is my .02.

Eating a balanced low fat diet, I think, is the best and most effective way to go.  Cut out the trendy crap like nuts, olive oil, whole wheat pasta, cheese etc.  I swear, cheese has become its own food group that people think is healthy and necessary.  Eat lean protein, and non processed fruits and veggies.  For the veggies, eat green beans, broccoli, etc instead of a salad and dressing.  The veggies are more filling, have more fiber and don't contain cheese, which everyone on the planet likes to use to smother salads.  Snack on things like carrots, bananas, apples etc.

This is extreme, but I think it is amazing.  Watching the show The Biggest Loser, they have morbidly obese people that after exercising and eating a low fat healthy diet for 3-4 weeks, they are able to stop taking insulin, blood pressure medicine, cholesterol (however the fuck its spelled).  There are morbidly obese people and can change their bodies in less than a month.  Granted, they are working out 6-8 hours per day, but some of them are only able to walk on a treadmill, it isn't like they are riding bikes with BV (just kidding).

Nuts, yes they contain "good fat" but it is fat, and if you eat more than an ounce, and cook dinner with three or four tablespoons of olive oil, you are way over your daily fat intake.  Use olive oil spray.  I hear people say peanut butter and cheese are a great source of protein.  Both of those have 10 times as much fat as protein.  Eat a piece of freakin turkey.

bamf16
Old School Member

« Reply #17 on: Jan 28, 2009 at 18:27 »

I think the best thing about WW is realizing what really constitutes a "serving" and portion control.  If you stay under your points, you'll definitely limit calorie intake.  My most recent health push that started about 1.5 years ago was started with WW.  If you like salad, you can really really stretch your points, since veggies are zero points.  One snack, or side, that I sometimes have with my lunch is carrots with salsa.  Sounds odd, but it is tasty, filling, and zero points.  You can get a lot more food that way vs eating the Smart Ones frozen lunches.

If you get some exercise while on WW, it certainly helps, and you get more points the days you exercise.

Bam - I did the "online" WW.  If you haven't checked it out, it is pretty cool.  You can create a food list of things you regularly eat, and when you eat something, you just drag it over to your meal tracker which makes all the tracking pretty easy.  You can also create meals if there is a certain meal you eat regularly.  I had two or three different breakfasts in my list so instead of dragging over each item, I could just do it once for the meal.  A little work creating your food list, but after that it is minimal work.  It is $16 per month, if I remember correctly, and that gives you access to a bunch of WW recipes and other online tools.  Some people need the meetings, but I definitely preferred this option.  You still weigh in once a week and you track and chart your weight etc etc.

Haven't posted in awhile, but been doing well so far.  You made a great point about portion control.  Like many, I'd see that my flavored coffee creamer had 60 calories per serving, and I figured that since I had a huge travel mug, I must have been putting in two servings.  I checked it out, and I was putting in over 300 calories worth of creamer just in my coffee each morning.  Add to that that my average portion size of baked or light chips was about 3x the serving size listed on the bag.  So that was a huge wake up call that those "good choices" I was making by going with healthier foods weren't so good after all since I ate too damn much.

I'm liking WW so far.  I keep the food journal, and I actually find myself getting excited to see that I'll have 3 extra points at the end of the day that I can have a Yuengling while I watch NFL Live.  The best part of WW is that it forces me to make good decisions with my points, and to watch my portion sizes.  Today, we had a snow day so I was sitting around at home.  I had a Steelers DVD marathon watching old playoff games.  For lunch, I had a Red Baron frozen personal sized pizza.  It's 10 points, and I get 26 points each day.  In the past, I would have had probably 2-3 of those with a couple beers.  I'd think to myself that my 45 minute ride on the bicycle in the basement would make up for it since the calories taken in would not be much more than the calories burned. 

For dinner, I grilled a chicken breast (instead of pan frying it in olive oil or butter) and put it on a salad.  I'm finding that when I add an assload of toppings on the salad (tomato, celery, cucumber, banana pepper, black olives, and onions) I don't need a dressing.  So my dinner of chicken salad and vegetable soup (which as a meal filled me up pretty well) was a total of 6 points.  This WW program has forced me to take a good hard look at what I eat and it keeps me more accountable.  Plus, it's easier to count points than calories.

My goals keep changing b/c reality slowly overrules my ideals, but 6 pounds a month is becoming quite realistic for me.  I'm hoping to drop another pound between now and Saturday to get me to 214 (I weighed 226 the first week of January.)  My goal of 190 by my June 6th wedding is attainable at this rate. 

And make fun of me if you wish about sounding "girly" by trying to lose some weight for a wedding.  My assistant coach still today 4 years after her wedding calls her husband "fat fuck" because in the months leading up to their wedding she lost the weight she put on in college while her husband actually gained weight in that time and weighed 20 pounds more the day of the wedding than he did when they got engaged.  So she looks at the pictures of herself looking healthy and her husband's face is all puffy.  I don't want my fiance or anyone else looking at wedding pictures at any time in the future commenting on anyone but her.
« Last Edit: Jan 28, 2009 at 18:33 by bamf16 » Logged

No one wants to hear about the labor pains, they just want to see the baby.
--Lou Brock
Big Virgil
Old School Member

« Reply #18 on: Jan 29, 2009 at 08:01 »

That's funny about the creamer, as I was doing the same thing.  I keep huge thing of coffee-mate at my desk, but now I have a tablespoon (measuring spoon) in the container and only put 2 in each cup of coffee.  Since that makes one cup of coffee 60 calories, I limit myself to two cups for 120 calries. 

I have been pretty focused since August of 2007, which doesn't mean I haven't taken a week off here and there to eat what I want, but even then I make better choices and I pig-out on much less food.  Since I have never stuck with any kind of regimen in the past for more than about 6 months, hopefully I am turning the corner and actually making life style changes.  :babysteps:

Being in the gym a lot, I feel like a fatty, which is good motivation.  I know I want to improve my bike riding ability, so that keeps me motivated too.

The chubby spouse thing is a slippery slope.  I think it goes both ways. 

Looking svelt (sp?) for the wedding, and honeymoon, is a good way to go.

Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #19 on: Jan 29, 2009 at 08:45 »

A lot to respond to in BV's post, but that's for another time.

All I can say is, if you're using non-dairy creamer (like Coffee Mate), that shit is pure DEATH.  You'd be better off using a whole cup of real cream than any amount of that stuff.  Seriously.  That shit will shred your arteries.  You'll be biking along, burning 8400 calories one day, and the ticker will freeze up and BAM.  Brinkered.

It is NOT just about quantitive stuff (total calories, e.g), but also qualitative (which is why even butter is better than margerine, olive oil is indeed better than vegetable oils, and cream is better than non-dairy creamers).

I need to post my reading list soon...

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
Pages: 1 [2] 3 ... 11   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: