Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Nov 27, 2014 at 17:29 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 ... 36   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Divisional Playoffs - Sunday, Jan. 11 - Chargers @ Steelers  (Read 21731 times)
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« on: Jan 05, 2009 at 08:36 »

Well, last game our stat line shows we thoroughly outplayed the Chargers, if not the zebras.  Since then, the Chargers have apparently gotten somewhat better on defense, whereas we have gotten absolutely no better on offense.  Norv Turner's face still looks like a mudflap on a semi that's been down 1000 miles of rain and mud.  LT is out, but the amazing midget, Darren "Bewitched" Sproles, may be hard to tackle, as he is only ankle-tall. 

Some "good news, bad news" items.  Feel free to add your own.

Good news.  Ben had a bye week to heal up the shoulder, the concussion, and whatever various dings he's been suffering with this year.  Bad news.  Ben's a guy who apparently needs plenty of reps with the WRs to come out on the same page with them.  An extra week would have been very helpful.

Good news.  Mewelde Moore has only rushed 140 times (4.2 YPC), and should have fresh legs.  Bulldozer Gary Russell has only 28 rushes, with 3 TDs.  Bad news.  Bruce Arians is about as likely to start using these two guys as a solid 1-2-3 punch as I am to grow wings, fly over him, and dump a load of chili diarrhea on his fucking pompous head.

Good news.   The Steelers D should have its starters rested, including 92, who sat versus the Browns.  Bad news.  They gonna have to carry the load again.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #1 on: Jan 05, 2009 at 08:38 »

Quote from: PFW

Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #2 on: Jan 05, 2009 at 08:47 »

Interesting analysis here.

We should have some effectiveness passing, especially if we run less between the tackles.

Need to get some 7s this time, kids.

otismalibu
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #3 on: Jan 05, 2009 at 08:52 »

Good News Fifty-six year old Mitch Berger has had an extra week to rest his sore ass.

Bad News Their punter will still out kick him by 25-30 yards per punt.
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #4 on: Jan 05, 2009 at 10:03 »

Good News  Parker showed some burst last game.  He had some success running outside versus the Chargers in their previous meeting.

Bad News  Brucey will almost certainly call for runs up the gut and unremember PAP calls.

"I like David Bowie, he was always my favorite member of Tin Machine."
- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #5 on: Jan 05, 2009 at 11:49 »

Good News:  Of all the teams Pittsburgh could've drawn in the Divisional Round, they get the team that's notched the fewest amount of sacks (22) of all playoff teams...in either Conference.

Bad News:  The front five is still, what I like to call, a gaggle of gashes.

I'll say that they've been a little better as the season's gone on, but they're still crap.  These guys need to take this shit personally like they did before Week #1. 

Remember all that talk?  Remember how guys like Marvel and Hartwig said they were pissed about being the "perceived" (HA!) weakness of this team?  Remember how they came out against the Texans and blasted those fuckin' guys?  Ran for like a buck seventy five.  Willie got 3 TDs.  Ben barely broke a sweat.

I tell you what.  If I'm Tomlin, I'm drillin' all that shit into their foreheads this week.  I'm takin' 'em back and reminding them of the start of the season when everybody was calling out the front five.  Then, I'm throwin' a few press clippings from select games where the O-line got abused. 

"I guess all those 'experts' were right, huh?  Remind me, how many sacks did we give up against Philly, again?  Well, here's your chance to shove it right down all of their throats.  Here's your chance to prove those assholes wrong when it matters most.  Now, get out there and take it out on that goddamned San Diego defense like they all just ran a train on your baby sister.  Take...their...fuckin'...heads off."

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #6 on: Jan 05, 2009 at 15:20 »

Who's getting the ball?  Is it who you thought it was?

Regular season stats...

Steelers - Receiving (10+ Rec.)

Hines Ward - 26.82%
Santonio Holmes - 18.21%
Heath Miller - 15.89%
Nate Washington - 13.25%
Mewelde Moore - 13.25%
Matt Spaeth - 5.63%

Steelers - Rushing (10+ Car.)

Willie Parker - 45.65%
Mewelde Moore - 30.43%
Ben Roethlisberger - 7.39%
Gary Russell - 6.09%
Rashard Mendenhall - 4.13%
Carey Davis - 2.61%

Steelers Pass/Rush Ratio:  39.63%/60.37%

Chargers - Receiving (10+ Rec.)

Antonio Gates - 19.23%
Vincent Jackson - 18.91%
LaDainian Tomlinson - 16.67%
Chris Chambers - 10.58%
Darren Sproles - 9.29%
Malcolm Floyd - 8.65%
Brandon Manumaleuna - 4.81%
Mike Tolbert - 4.17%
Jacob Hester - 3.85%

Chargers - Rushing (10+ Car.)

LaDainian Tomlinson - 69.36%
Darren Sproles - 14.49%
Philip Rivers - 7.36%
Jacob Hester - 4.51%
Mike Tolbert - 3.09%

Chargers Pass/Rush Ratio:  42.56%/57.44%

In the WC game, the pass/rush ratio was 37.74%/62.26%, not surprising given the Colts' rush D. 

Darren Sproles touched the ball on 50.94% of all plays.

Vincent Jackson had no catches.  Gates, Chambers and Sproles accounted for 85% of all catches.

Bottom line?  Shut down Sproles, Gates, and Jackson, in that order. 

msdmnr2002
Old School Member

« Reply #7 on: Jan 06, 2009 at 10:15 »

IIRC, in the last few matchups we put Troy on Gates.  Worked pretty well - Gates only had 2 catches last game.  I imagine they will stick with that.  Be nice to free Troy up if possible - had thought of the possibility of using Ike on Gates, but probably not a good idea as Ike doesn't cover the middle of the field much, where Gates usually operates.  Troy still best bet.
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #8 on: Jan 06, 2009 at 11:43 »

Yeah, have Troy on Gates and then swap that out with Timmons, keep 'em guessing.

I read somewhere that LT will be out.  But Sproles is a dangerous dude. 

Hopefully either Woodley or Harrison will be able to get it going against Livers.  He'll throw it into the ground quick so the may not get sacks, but maybe intentional grounding or force a few more picks.  Maybe the dbs will learn how to run one of those back like Ed Reed.
« Last Edit: Jan 06, 2009 at 11:45 by jonzr » Logged

- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #9 on: Jan 06, 2009 at 12:07 »

Phirrip after his first pick: