Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Jul 30, 2014 at 22:42 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Okie vs Gator  (Read 2008 times)
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« on: Jan 07, 2009 at 14:19 »

One day away from the BCS Championship Game and I'm still somewhat worried about the Sooners given the poor performance of the Big 12 South this bowl season.  While I still think they can outscore Florida they've had a weakness covering kick returns and usually one of those is gonna break in a big game so that's worrisome.

I'm hoping for a very high scoring game as a low scoring one might favor the Gaturz.  But who really knows?  I'll take a 13-10 type of game so long as the Sooners come out on top.

They need to come out fired up and sustain that throughout the game and the defense needs to step up and play their best.  The offense should be fine although they will miss mini AD.

"I like David Bowie, he was always my favorite member of Tin Machine."
- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
pensodyssey
Halfsharkalligator halfman.
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #1 on: Jan 07, 2009 at 20:40 »

Personally, I'm more interested in the People's Choice Awards.  The voting process is so much more transparent.

A shabby Charlie Brown.
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #2 on: Jan 07, 2009 at 21:23 »

Eh, it is what it is.  I won't argue that it's not seemingly arbitrary.  I've never understood why it makes a difference when you lose.  Hell, the whole idea of pre-ranking the teams is idiotic and that rank matters in the end.

I don't know what was so bad about the old system.  Heck, they pretty much recognize the AP #1 as well as the BCS champ if those differ - what's up with that?

Well, I heard Barry Switzer today and he was talking about how fast and good the Gator defense is and how a good defense will usually shut down a good offense.  Yikes.  He wouldn't come out and say Florida was gonna win, just that the Sooners can beat them.  Said Florida was favored in Vegas for a reason.

- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
pensodyssey
Halfsharkalligator halfman.
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #3 on: Jan 07, 2009 at 23:12 »

I really miss the days of AP and UPI polls. We were all happy with vagueness as long as it came from competitors, but this one-voice shit is for the birds. 

A shabby Charlie Brown.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #4 on: Jan 08, 2009 at 08:22 »

I still think a 16-team playoff would be great, see some fun upsets, but even the 8-team playoff would be enough IMO.

1. Oklahoma 12-1
2. Florida 12-1
3. Texas 11-1
4. Alabama 12-1
5. USC 11-1
6. Utah 12-0
7. Texas Tech 11-1
8. Penn State 11-1

#8 PSU v. #1 Okla.  Seeing how much trouble the Nittany Lions had against the USC passing attack makes me think the Sooners would have rolled up JoePa's bunch, too. 

#7 TT v. #2 FLA.  TT is fun to watch, and rolled through the Big 12, but I think the Gators woulda smacked 'em in the face.

#6 Utah v. #3 Texas.  Bama was deflated, and without their LT, but hell, the Utes sure made it look easy.  IMO, this would be an upset.  Texas just got by the Buckeyes, and the Big 11 is weak this year.

#5 USC v. #4 Bama.  All about momentum.  USC.

Round 2, #6 Utah v. #1 Oklah.  That would be a fantastic game.  IMO, this is where Utah would meet its match.

#5 USC v. #2 Fla.  I know USC played a cupcake PAC-10 this year, but IMO they're just peaking right now.  I think they'd shut down the Gator offense and still be able to put up points.

So your champeenship, IMO, would be USC over Oklah.    But that's just my opinion.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
otismalibu
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #5 on: Jan 08, 2009 at 08:44 »

I don't watch too much college football. The early season seems to have a number of 55-7 scores and then, if you're gonna drop a game, you best do it before the halfway point. A late loss and you're fucked.

Some chick from the gym was giving me grief about the Steelers after one of their losses this season. She's a Mizzou alum and is big into college football. I pointed out that the Steelers could still win the Superbowl, but her team would be hooped after that first loss.

I did enjoy watching Utah roll the Tide. After living down there for a couple of years, I could only imagine the weeping.
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #6 on: Jan 08, 2009 at 09:02 »

I did enjoy watching Utah roll the Tide. After living down there for a couple of years, I could only imagine the weeping.
Oh, you know they were crying Crimson tears down there after Utah whipped 'em.  And that may as well have been a home game for Bama.

Yeah finny, of the bowl games I've seen this year, it looks like USC would probably come out on top against any given team.  They have a more complete package where OK's defense is lacking a bit, plus special teams has been an issue. 

But there's something I don't like about the playoffs idea.  Can't put a finger on it but it's an even bigger aberration than the BCS system in the effect it would have on the college football season as a whole.  Plus, you'll still have teams bitching about not being in the top N teams and those that make it will bitch about their matchups - and all that will still be based on arbitrary poll #'s, etc.

- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #7 on: Jan 08, 2009 at 19:09 »

Sorry Jonzr, I've given you the kiss of death.

Took the Sooners (+6)...couldn't resist when it got that high...and the under (71).

Good luck, man!

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #8 on: Jan 08, 2009 at 21:29 »

That's OK aj.  Hell, 7-7 at the half and the Sooners could/should be winning ...

This is gonna be a loooong second half.

- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #9 on: Jan 08, 2009 at 23:54 »

Dammit.