Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Apr 23, 2014 at 20:17 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Staal Resigned  (Read 1003 times)
PghSteel-43
Old School Member

« on: Jan 08, 2009 at 11:50 »

Penguins sign Jordan Staal
Thursday, January 08, 2009
By Shelly Anderson and Dave Molinari, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

The Penguins today announced they have agreed on a four-year contract with center Jordan Staal that will run through the 2012-13 season. The team's salary cap hit will be $4 million per season, with Staal earning $3.5 million each of the first two seasons and $4.5 million each of the ensuing two seasons.

"He's agood yong player," general manger Ray Shero said. "We've always wanted to re-sign him. His best years are ahead of him."

Staal, 20, will finish this season under his entry-level contract, with the new terms kicking in for next season.

In his third season with the Penguins after being selected in the first round of the 2006 NHL draft, Staal has 52 goals, 39 assists for 91 points in 204 career games going into tonight's game at Nashville. This season, he has 11 goals, 21 points in 41 games.

He was the runner-up to teammate Evgeni Malkin for the Calder Trophy as league rookie of the year in 2007.

http://www.postgazette.com/pg/09008/940438-100.stm
pensodyssey
Halfsharkalligator halfman.
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #1 on: Jan 08, 2009 at 11:54 »

Great deal, either if we keep him or trade him, having him inked really skyrockets his value.

A shabby Charlie Brown.
Merman1983
Old School Member

Master of the figure-four leglock

« Reply #2 on: Jan 08, 2009 at 12:10 »

Unless it leads to him getting traded, I don't like the deal. Four years and 16 million for a 3rd line center when you already have Sid and Geno is completely unnecessary IMO. The guy can't score or handle being a winger and this signing is going to prevent this franchise from upgrading where they really need it, 1st and 2nd line wings.

I know there's alot of Staal fans around but this is money that could have been much better spent.

This is one of those cases where I pray I'm wrong and he develops into something more than he is. I know he's only 20 but hockey players don't magically develop hands/scoring touch. You either got it or you don't.

pensodyssey
Halfsharkalligator halfman.
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #3 on: Jan 08, 2009 at 12:18 »

Unless it leads to him getting traded, I don't like the deal. Four years and 16 million for a 3rd line center when you already have Sid and Geno is completely unnecessary IMO. The guy can't score or handle being a winger and this signing is going to prevent this franchise from upgrading where they really need it, 1st and 2nd line wings.

I know there's alot of Staal fans around but this is money that could have been much better spent.

This is one of those cases where I pray I'm wrong and he develops into something more than he is. I know he's only 20 but hockey players don't magically develop hands/scoring touch. You either got it or you don't.

I couldn't disagree more.  Staal's hands aren't the greatest, but his motor runs constantly and he's gotta be one of the top penalty killers around.  Also, he's about the only guy we got who goes to the front of the net.

A shabby Charlie Brown.
Merman1983
Old School Member

Master of the figure-four leglock

« Reply #4 on: Jan 08, 2009 at 12:31 »

I couldn't disagree more.  Staal's hands aren't the greatest, but his motor runs constantly and he's gotta be one of the top penalty killers around.  Also, he's about the only guy we got who goes to the front of the net.

Well there's penalty killers with high motors that make a heck of alot less than 4 million a year. And as far as going in front of the net, he pretty much goes in front of the net when he feels like it, and can't finish worth anything.

Like I said, I really hope I'm wrong. I just think they severely overpaid for a guy when they have many another glaring need, not to mention the expiring contracts of Letang and Goligoski.
PghSteel-43
Old School Member

« Reply #5 on: Jan 08, 2009 at 12:38 »

The team's salary cap hit will be $4 million per season, with Staal earning $3.5 million each of the first two seasons and $4.5 million each of the ensuing two seasons.

Yeah, they better hope he pans out to something more than a third line center with defensive capabilities, because that's a good chunk of coin for the player I've been seeing every other night.  If he continues to play the way he has for the last year and a half, trading him won't be easy.  In the long run, it would be a complete waste of a first round pick (second overall) and it will be known that we passed on names like Toews, Kessel and Backstrom for Jordan Staal.  

If he starts using his frame, parking himself in front of the net (which he doesn't do nearly enough), hustling every night and not appearing as if a slight wind could blow him over, then the goals will come.  At this point there are some nights he appears like he's ready to play.  He's out there moving his feet, carrying the puck very well, hustling at both ends of the ice and then on other nights it's as if Miroslav Satan took over his mind and body.  It would also be nice to see that occur a little sooner than it took for Ryan Malone to figure it out at the age of 28.  

On the plus side, Staal is only 20.  That is still very young and he has shown signs of what he's capable of when he puts his mind to it.  Once again, I think some feel every first round pick that comes through this city will jump out of the gates like Crosby or Malkin.  It's not going to happen and I would never expect Staal's goal totals to touch Sid or Geno's.  He wasn't a big time goal scorer in Peterborough so I wouldn't expect much out of him when it comes to netting mass quantities of goals per season.

In the end though, like many others I do expect more out of him than what I've seen over the past year and a half.  It's simply not worth the money and roster spot if he continues to play the way he has been playing.  For a team with a surplus of center's, this signing is a gamble in my opinion.  Particularly when we do not have a winger on this roster who's capable of scoring goals on a consistent basis.  We have two solid centers and a third line center who's talent remains to be seen, yet we don't have a winger for Sidney Crosby.  Dumb if you ask me.  Shero better hope this resigning pays off.
« Last Edit: Jan 08, 2009 at 12:44 by PghSteel-43 » Logged
PghSteel-43
Old School Member

« Reply #6 on: Jan 08, 2009 at 12:56 »

Well there's penalty killers with high motors that make a heck of alot less than 4 million a year. And as far as going in front of the net, he pretty much goes in front of the net when he feels like it, and can't finish worth anything.

I agree with this 100%.  IF he remains a third line center who's only attributes are on the PK and going to the net when he feels like it, the money is not worth it. 

If Staal would go to the net more, the goals will come.  He has the frame and reach to cause some major hell in front of the net, but he rarely does it.  Just because he's the only one who tends to go to the front of the net on this roster, doesn't mean he does it nearly enough.

I said the same about Malone for years.  Then in 07-08, he started doing just that.  Finally, at the age of 28 he decided that the only way he's going to score goals is if he parks his huge frame in front on the net and hack away.  Personally, I'm not seeing Jordan Staal splitting the defense 1 on 2 and pulling off Geno and Sid goals.  He's going to have to work for his goals. 
Captain Chaos
Old School Member

Underachieving Member

« Reply #7 on: Jan 08, 2009 at 14:41 »

At $4 mil. per, you can't keep Staal in his current role (3rd line center/PK duty). He's going to have to assume more responsibility like becoming a permanent (productive) fixture on the first PP unit and most importantly, a move to Sid's left wing. With all of the other failures they've tried there to date, I can't figure out why he hasn't been given a shot at it. He had his best productive season as a rookie along-side Malkin. He's got to be moved to wing if they keep him at that price. 3rd line centers are a dime a dozen and our lineup is littered with them.

Looks like Staal will get the call tonight...

Morning Skate Update: 1/8
Sam Kasan  Pittsburgh Penguins Jan 8, 2009, 1:55 PM EST

It's been a good day for Jordan Staal. First, he signed a new four-year contract extension with the Penguins that will keep him in Pittsburgh through the 2012-13 season. Then, he learned that he will be moved to the top line for the Penguins' matchup with the Nashville Predators at Sommet Center at 8 p.m.

Staal is expected to play right wing alongside Sidney Crosby and Tyler Kennedy. The trio had a brief union at the end of Pittsburgh's 3-1 victory over Atlanta on Tuesday.

Evgeni Malkin will center the second line with Miroslav Satan and Petr Sykora. Maxime Talbot will handle the third-line duties with Matt Cooke and Alex Goligoski. Tim Wallace, Dustin Jeffrey and Eric Godard will comprise the fourth line.

The defensive pairings will be: Brooks Orpik-Ryan Whitney; Rob Scuderi-Kris Letang; Mark Eaton-Philippe Boucher. Hal Gill will be a healthy scratch for the third consecutive game.

Marc-Andre Fleury will make his fourth straight start in goal.

Pascal Dupuis and Ruslan Fedotenko, both suffered undisclosed injuries Jan. 6 against Atlanta, will not play.

Notes: Staal will be making his second appearance on the wing this season for Pittsburgh. He started the year playing alongside Malkin and Sykora but was positioned on left wing, which is the offwing for a left-handed shot. Sykora was occupying the right wing. Staal will skate on the right wing tonight with Tyler Kennedy (a right-handed shot) playing left wing.

Alex Goligoski will be making his second appearance as a forward. He saw action at defense and wing in the team's Dec. 30 game against Boston.

Just one man's opinion.

"It's a big game because it's the next game." - Mike Tomlin
PghSteel-43
Old School Member

« Reply #8 on: Jan 08, 2009 at 15:58 »

He complained that he didn't like playing on the third line, so they played him on the second at one point.  Now he's on the first.

Take advantage of it.  If that doesn't get you to up your work ethic, I'm not exactly sure what will.
whitmer_87
Brownstains can suck my Member

« Reply #9 on: Jan 09, 2009 at 00:27 »

Staal is a badass on defense and on the PK, and he definitely has good offensive abilities. He just has to be more consistent for this deal to work out in our favor. If he can be a 25 and 50 guy it's worth it IMO. That still remains to be seen though.

This deal doesn't solve any of our problems. Which is a little unnerving, but the season is still young. You gotta think(perhaps hope is the better word here) Shero is cooking something up. He's pulled the trigger on deals in the past that have helped this team. I'm just worried about not having much to offer. Now that Staal is signed for long term, who do we give up?

I'd trade Satan for a a case of IC Light at this point.

"The duty of the comedian is to find out where the line is drawn, and cross it deliberately."-George Carlin
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: