Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Apr 19, 2014 at 22:43 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 ... 5 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Why we should root for the Ravens to win  (Read 2942 times)
Steelerdipwad
Old School Member

« on: Jan 09, 2009 at 07:01 »

As shitty as the offensive line is, they match up better against a 3-4 defense than a 4-3. Colon is too slow out of his stance to handle a speed defensive end shooting the gap on him, same with Starks. They're better when they have a bigger DE playing the two gap over them on first and second down. Then, when third down rolls around, they can look for the OLB coming, but at least they get a break on half the plays. It's why they can look better in pass protection against teams like the Ravens and Cowboys, but look like shit against teams like the Eagles, Colts, and Giants who have guys like Justin Tuck shooting the gap on every play.

And our guards are better off lined up over a linebacker. For all the talk about what a bad ass Kemo is, he's a pussy against bigger tackles shooting the gap between him and the C or OT. And Stapleton gets overwhelmed. They match up better if one of them can double down on the NT or fire out on a smaller ILB.

So, aside from home field, that's why I'll be rooting for the Ravens. Of course, we have to beat the Bolts first, and that's not gonna be easy. But the Bolts are a 3-4 team, so I have high hopes for our offense this game.

"Fanatics are picturesque. Mankind would rather see gestures than listen to reason." - Friederich Nietzsche
vinman3
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Master of the Obvious

« Reply #1 on: Jan 09, 2009 at 07:11 »

And SDW makes a triumphant return. Where have you been?

I would be happy to pull the fucking rug out from under the Ratbirds in the AFCC. I just want to get there.

It's a hot night. The mind races. You think about your knife; the only friend who hasn't betrayed you, the only friend who won't be dead by sun up. Sleep tight, mates, in your quilted Chambray nightshirts.
Steelerdipwad
Old School Member

« Reply #2 on: Jan 09, 2009 at 07:15 »

And SDW makes a triumphant return. Where have you been?

Computer crapped out. By the time I got a new one, I lost the addy. This site came up in a thread on the ESPN board, and someone posted a link. Been reading all morning.

"Fanatics are picturesque. Mankind would rather see gestures than listen to reason." - Friederich Nietzsche
vinman3
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Master of the Obvious

« Reply #3 on: Jan 09, 2009 at 07:17 »

Welcome back.

It's a hot night. The mind races. You think about your knife; the only friend who hasn't betrayed you, the only friend who won't be dead by sun up. Sleep tight, mates, in your quilted Chambray nightshirts.
dare2beme

« Reply #4 on: Jan 09, 2009 at 07:45 »

Computer crapped out. By the time I got a new one, I lost the addy. This site came up in a thread on the ESPN board, and someone posted a link. Been reading all morning.

I was that someone.  In addition to rising from the dead from Noob status, I dragged an old-timer with me...so I guess I'm earning my keep.  Or maybe not.

If you ain't a Steeler fan, you're just a Jag-off...especially here in Jacksonburgh, FL!
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #5 on: Jan 09, 2009 at 08:02 »

I was that someone.  In addition to rising from the dead from Noob status, I dragged an old-timer with me...so I guess I'm earning my keep.  Or maybe not.

Ummm, nahhh.   Now that we have SDW back, we don't really need ya.

Sorry.

:lol:

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
otismalibu
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #6 on: Jan 09, 2009 at 08:07 »

Now that we have SDW back, we don't really need ya.

Quick, someone change his user name to Ernster.

I quit 'rooting for who we'll play' after the Tuck Rule game. I was so happy that we were getting to play the Pats rather than the Raiders. Was already making SB plans.
vinman3
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Master of the Obvious

« Reply #7 on: Jan 09, 2009 at 08:12 »

I quit 'rooting for who we'll play' after the Tuck Rule game. I was so happy that we were getting to play the Pats rather than the Raiders. Was already making SB plans.

It is the "be careful for what you wish for syndrome," I feel the same way Oat.

Even though I would love to pull the rug out from under the Ratbirds, as I said earlier...I just want to get to the AFCC first.

dare2beme

« Reply #8 on: Jan 09, 2009 at 08:16 »

Sorry.

Funny, that's the sense I got when I first started up in here, which is why I left the first time.  flipoff Grin

Besides, be careful, I could always send in the bloodhound: Feebs 2.0  Shocked

If you ain't a Steeler fan, you're just a Jag-off...especially here in Jacksonburgh, FL!
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #9 on: Jan 09, 2009 at 08:24 »

Sorry.

Funny, that's the sense I got when I first started up in here, which is why I left the first time.  flipoff Grin

Just joshin.'

As for who we should hope to play, SDW is likely right, given who we've struggled against this season...  But I agree with Otis.  Let's say we do get past SD, get the Ravens and win... then what?  We could still meet a 4-3 team in the big dance.  So, while a perfect storm of 3-4 teams in the AFC may help us advance, we still need to take care of business, beat all comers. 

So my philosophy is, I root for the Steelers.  We play who we play.  And we damned well better win when we play.    helmet

Steelerdipwad
Old School Member

« Reply #10 on: Jan 09, 2009 at 08:29 »

Sorry.

Just joshin.'

As for who we should hope to play, SDW is likely right, given who we've struggled against this season...  But I agree with Otis.  Let's say we do get past SD, get the Ravens and win... then what?  We could still meet a 4-3 team in the big dance.  So, while a perfect storm of 3-4 teams in the AFC may help us advance, we still need to take care of business, beat all comers. 

So my philosophy is, I root for the Steelers.  We play who we play.  And we damned well better win when we play.    helmet

No doubt, but I'm a "path of least resistance" kind of guy. If I have the option of playing Cincy, Indy, and the Seahwks straight up and losing along the way, or playing Cincy without Plamer, Indy with Dungy's dead kid in the news, and a healthy dose of help from the refs on the way to a Super Bowl win, then I'll take the later. So, while I don't get giddy that we are playing the Bolts, because I certainly understand that we may well lose, I also rejoice in the fact that we're not preparing for Peyton this week.
« Last Edit: Jan 09, 2009 at 08:35 by Steelerdipwad » Logged

dare2beme

« Reply #11 on: Jan 09, 2009 at 08:32 »

Just joshin' back  :lol:

I knew you'd back down after threatening the DiceDom on ya  Wink

Good analysis there, SDW, but I'm with Finny on this one...gotta beat who we play...anything can happen and will...

Puma170
Bleedin' Black and Gold behind enemy lines

« Reply #12 on: Jan 09, 2009 at 08:34 »

I just can't bring myself to root for the Ravens.  Although, given my track record, maybe I should... 

PUMA
Merman1983
Old School Member

Master of the figure-four leglock

« Reply #13 on: Jan 09, 2009 at 08:41 »

I understand the logic here but the only thing I'm rooting for in the Titans/Ravens game is a bloodbath featuring multiple knee explosions. Ed Reed would be a nice start. Followed by that Mcclain character.
dare2beme

« Reply #14 on: Jan 09, 2009 at 08:47 »

I understand the logic here but the only thing I'm rooting for in the Titans/Ravens game is a bloodbath featuring multiple knee explosions. Ed Reed would be a nice start. Followed by that Mcclain character.

Cha-ching +1

Classless of me?  So what.

Steelerdipwad
Old School Member

« Reply #15 on: Jan 09, 2009 at 08:49 »

the only thing I'm rooting for in the Titans/Ravens game is a bloodbath featuring multiple knee explosions. Ed Reed would be a nice start. Followed by that Mcclain character.

I just got a massive stiffie.

otismalibu
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #16 on: Jan 09, 2009 at 08:51 »

Penso calls that 'treeness'.
dare2beme

« Reply #17 on: Jan 09, 2009 at 08:53 »

Clinical term: Ballsa Wood

Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #18 on: Jan 09, 2009 at 08:54 »

Out-fucking-standing...

aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #19 on: Jan 09, 2009 at 08:57 »

Been sayin' forever that if Pittsburgh advances, I don't really care who they play.  Baltimore might be the "better" choice as their offense scares me less; rookie QB; rookie HC; get another home game; etc., but there's just something about playing an intra-divisional game in the playoffs...they're always tough, always close.  And, after having already beat them twice, getting the hat trick makes is that much tougher.

Still, I really think all of this is moot.  Everybody's on that Baltimore bandwagon following their easy win @ Miami as if the TITans are going to be as equally inept.  Tennessee is good, damn good and I still say they're gonna make that offense look silly tomorrow.  And, their running game and Collin's quick decisions will be more than enough to come away with a win.

Lock.  It.  Up.

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
Joetorious
Brownstains can suck my Member

« Reply #20 on: Jan 09, 2009 at 09:04 »

Sorry for bucking the trend, but I have to say F that.

1) As you all know, it's extremely difficult in any sport to sweep a team for an entire season.
2) The Gayvens are pieces of shit.
3) Home field isn't much of an advantage for the Steelers (and especially BB - 8 INTs in 3 home playoff games I think).
4) I think the Steelers would crush the Titans when the game actually means something (referring to point three, the recent Steelers/Titans game meant virtually nothing to the Steelers).
5) If the Titans win (and assuming the Steelers win), it is much more likely that I will get to attend the game (and hopefully Otis' homeboy will not  B) ).

Tell 'em...Large Marge sent ya! Bwhahahaha
Preacherman0
Old School Member

« Reply #21 on: Jan 09, 2009 at 09:44 »

I wanted Miami to beat the Ratbirds.  When that didn't happen, I quit caring.

I don't think that we have any idea about the Steelers and matchups because our offense is completely unpredictable.  I have confidence in our defense vs. anyone.

Just win the friggin' game in front of you and get to Tampa.

We have traded Christ for the religion of Christianity.
steelerfaninCO
Old School Member

« Reply #22 on: Jan 09, 2009 at 10:42 »

Under no circimstrances can I, or will I, root for the Raturds. Fuck them with Penso's treeness.

Root for the Ravens to win in the playoffs? Not. Fuckin'. Ever.

KTBFFH
Puma170

« Reply #23 on: Jan 09, 2009 at 11:05 »

Under no circimstrances can I, or will I, root for the Raturds. Fuck them with Penso's treeness.

Wow, are we related?

PUMA
dare2beme

« Reply #24 on: Jan 09, 2009 at 11:11 »

Wow, are we related?

PUMA

We are all part of the Worldwide Steeler Family, so in a sense, yeah.

pensodyssey
Halfsharkalligator halfman.
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #25 on: Jan 09, 2009 at 12:17 »

I have no fear of the Ravens.  Tough game?  Hell yes, but they are a thoroughly known quantity.

What I want is another chance to hit Chris Johnson square in the mouth, wipe the sneer off Jeff 'Little Hitler' Fisher's face, and remind the Titans that they are an expansion franchise dating back to their Oilers days.  Fuck LenDale White and his boobies.

For that, I got a fucking sequoia.

A shabby Charlie Brown.
Puma170

« Reply #26 on: Jan 09, 2009 at 13:27 »

Fuck LenDale White and his boobies.

clap clap :clap:and that is why I consistently come back here.   clap clap clap

PUMA
jasonic

« Reply #27 on: Jan 10, 2009 at 00:19 »

ultimate treeness  clap

"If you make every game a life and death proposition, you're going to have problems. For one thing, you'll be dead a lot."
steelerfaninCO
Old School Member

« Reply #28 on: Jan 10, 2009 at 02:05 »

I have no fear of the Ravens.  Tough game?  Hell yes, but they are a thoroughly known quantity.
What I want is another chance to hit Chris Johnson square in the mouth, wipe the sneer off Jeff 'Little Hitler' Fisher's face, and remind the Titans that they are an expansion franchise dating back to their Oilers days.  Fuck LenDale White and his boobies.

Here, here....There is also much hate for the Oilers. Stupid Jerry Glanville. And weren't the Tits in the Central before the re-alignment?

KTBFFH
bamf16
Old School Member

« Reply #29 on: Jan 10, 2009 at 08:52 »

I actually have more fears of the Ravens offense than the Titans.  Neither team has WR that scare me when lined up against our secondary, and neither QB scares me either.  I just keep remembering McClain in the 4th quarter, pushing towards 100 yards for the game.  We saw the Bus wear down strong defenses, and if I had to choose between facing small, quick Chris Johnson or 260 pound McClain, I'd go with Johnson.  I know LenDale is 240-250'ish, but he runs like a pussy, so little concern there.

No one wants to hear about the labor pains, they just want to see the baby.
--Lou Brock
LambertsFrontTeeth
Old School Member

« Reply #30 on: Jan 10, 2009 at 10:07 »

Amen.  I'm not rooting for the Ratbirds -- just mutual injuries -- but I'd love to see us stomp the Titans at home, then, near the end of the game have the team waving Towels on the sideline. 

"Dreith said I hit Sipe too hard. I hit him as hard as I could. Brian has a chance to go out of bounds and he decides not to. He knows I'm going to hit him. And I do. History."
- - - Jack Lambert, after referee Ben Dreith ejected him from a game for knocking out Browns QB Brian Sipe.
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #31 on: Jan 10, 2009 at 10:17 »

I thought it was "shrubness?"

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
dare2beme

« Reply #32 on: Jan 10, 2009 at 10:51 »

Shrubness = Bonsai treeness

And after beating the Titans, the players should instead of waving TTs at the end of the game, they should smack the Titans players in the asses with them.

VaBchSteelersfan

« Reply #33 on: Jan 10, 2009 at 17:55 »

What's the deal with the towels in Tennessee? Who the hell do they think they are?!?!?! Is The Towel being mocked??   angry5

"Now that I'm here, I don't want to just be here, I want to be here for a long time." Hines Ward, 1998 4th round draft pick.
dare2beme

« Reply #34 on: Jan 10, 2009 at 18:01 »

Nah, the towel isn't being mocked.  Steelers would never have to give away towels to fans entering the stadium.

bamf16
Old School Member

« Reply #35 on: Jan 10, 2009 at 18:31 »

Looking at how well the Titans offense moved the ball today through the first 58 minutes and how poorly the Ravens offense has, you see why no one has ever paid me for my "expert" analysis!

No one wants to hear about the labor pains, they just want to see the baby.
--Lou Brock
VaBchSteelersfan

« Reply #36 on: Jan 10, 2009 at 18:47 »

Nah, the towel isn't being mocked.  Steelers would never have to give away towels to fans entering the stadium.

Excellent point! I still have my towel I bought at Three Rivers in '99

"Now that I'm here, I don't want to just be here, I want to be here for a long time." Hines Ward, 1998 4th round draft pick.
leighclay
Old School Member

« Reply #37 on: Jan 10, 2009 at 20:56 »

What's the deal with the towels in Tennessee? Who the hell do they think they are?!?!?! Is The Towel being mocked??   angry5
Not mocked. They just want an identity. Which they still don't have.
Stupid Oilers.
Stomp on our towel, then go out & try to replicate it!
How'd that work out for ya?

I'm still the one with the boobs.
JackSplat
Jerk Store Proprietor
Old School Member

« Reply #38 on: Jan 11, 2009 at 10:23 »

now, now...Be nice to the titties.  im sure they are still basking in their super bowl victory over the steelers who gave their all that day.

:rolleyes:

Jerry, it's Frank Costanza, Mr.
Steinbrenner is here, George is dead, call me back!
pensodyssey
Halfsharkalligator halfman.
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #39 on: Jan 11, 2009 at 10:53 »

now, now...Be nice to the titties.  im sure they are still basking in their super bowl victory over the steelers who gave their all that day.

:rolleyes:

Ya know I said he same thing to the people at the bar who took that loss a little too harshly.  The Titans played their superbowl in December.  Jeff Fisher, most prepared, my ass.

A shabby Charlie Brown.
give'emthaboot
Old School Member

« Reply #40 on: Jan 11, 2009 at 10:59 »

I was actually hoping to get the Titans next round.  Not necessarily because the Ratties scare me, but that loss at Tenn a few weeks ago was an anomaly.  The defense was as bland as I've seen it since Tim Lewis, and like everyone already mentioned, that was the Titans Super Bowl.  I must say I was impressed with how they moved the ball against Baltimore, however (think somebody could tel Arians to take a look at the film?).

Time for Fucko to throw his first pick(s) in the playoffs and take his first sack(s) next week.

'Oh, my, James Harrison is not going to the White House, he must be a devil worshiper!'
JackSplat
Jerk Store Proprietor
Old School Member

« Reply #41 on: Jan 11, 2009 at 11:05 »

Time for Fucko to throw his first pick(s) in the playoffs and take his first sack(s) next week.

yeah right...Fucco is thee Quinessential Game Manager.  pretty easy to not throw any picks when you are handcuffed more than Pacman Jones.

It would have been nice to give the titties a dose of steeler reality.  but i'll take it as a side dish after a helping of ratbird stew to the tune of a third loss.

Jerry, it's Frank Costanza, Mr.
Steinbrenner is here, George is dead, call me back!
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #42 on: Jan 11, 2009 at 11:16 »

I was actually hoping to get the Titans next round.  Not necessarily because the Ratties scare me, but that loss at Tenn a few weeks ago was an anomaly.  The defense was as bland as I've seen it since Tim Lewis, and like everyone already mentioned, that was the Titans Super Bowl.  I must say I was impressed with how they moved the ball against Baltimore, however (think somebody could tel Arians to take a look at the film?).

They moved it against B'more b/c Collins had all day in the pocket for the most part.  Plus, they were running it well.  Johnson had about 75 yards at halftime.  They have to be sick, should have won that game.

"I like David Bowie, he was always my favorite member of Tin Machine."
- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
otismalibu
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #43 on: Jan 11, 2009 at 11:25 »

Those little 7-10 yard slants seemed to be working. And the Ravens seem to be more concerned about going for the strip than knocking the receiver on his ass. Those were money.

I figured if the Titans somehow won, it would be unlikely that they'd play two such shitty games in a row at home.

Just get thru today and have another AFC title game at home. I still think the Ravens have a 'shit the bed' game in them. Fumbles staying in bounds, two DBs falling on what should have been an easy defense, a few extra playclock seconds...that shit's gotta end.
give'emthaboot
Old School Member

« Reply #44 on: Jan 11, 2009 at 14:38 »

The Ravens really had no business winning that game.  Outplayed from start to finish.  If Tits McGee and Crumpler don't fumble those in the red zone, the game is over before the 3rd quarter is over.  I didn't really think it was even great plays by the Ravens to knock the ball out on either play.  Both guys were just trying to get an extra yard, IMO.

'Oh, my, James Harrison is not going to the White House, he must be a devil worshiper!'
Puma170

« Reply #45 on: Jan 12, 2009 at 07:43 »

I am going to file this under "Be Careful What You Wish For" and hope for the best.  Beating the Ravens three times in a season and heading to the Super Bowl is a dream scenario.  Losing to them in the AFC Championship washes the other two away... 

PUMA
Steelerdipwad
Old School Member

« Reply #46 on: Jan 12, 2009 at 07:57 »

I am going to file this under "Be Careful What You Wish For"

What have I done? blink

Puma170

« Reply #47 on: Jan 12, 2009 at 08:01 »

I am going to file this under "Be Careful What You Wish For"

What have I done? blink

Hopefully nothing...  Wink

PUMA
Pages: 1 2 ... 5 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: