Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Dec 19, 2014 at 19:49 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 ... 11   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: AFCC Game  (Read 6710 times)
DCSteelers
Old School Member

« on: Jan 12, 2009 at 13:04 »

Does anyone else feel this way:

I would be so happy and feel that this is was a complete season if the Steelers won the AFCC game whether or not they win the Superbowl.

I think the reason is that I've been so disappointed during the AFCC game loses during the Cowher tenor (2-4), that in my mind it's a huge accomplishment to win this game.
Steelerdipwad
Old School Member

« Reply #1 on: Jan 12, 2009 at 13:14 »

No, at this point, the blood's in the water. If we went to and lost the Super Bowl, I'd feel incomplete. This is a season that has four flawed teams left, and we are the least flawed IMO (hope that makes sense). You can't let opportunities like this slip away.

"Fanatics are picturesque. Mankind would rather see gestures than listen to reason." - Friederich Nietzsche
msdmnr2002
Old School Member

« Reply #2 on: Jan 12, 2009 at 13:17 »

To be perfectly honest, at the beginning of the season, with our line issues, getting this far was considered unliklely by many, so in that respect, it's a successful season now.

However, now that we're here, and more importantly, the fact that we're playing a division rival (could have been NE also), the stakes have gone up.  Considering the number of wasted opportunities, I really want to cap this one off.  If I researched correctly earlier, we are 6-7 overall in AFCC games.  7-7 sounds way better than 6-8.

I'll worry about feelings about winning the SB if/when we get that far.
leighclay
Old School Member

« Reply #3 on: Jan 12, 2009 at 13:38 »

I won't be happy if we lose, period.  However, I could take getting to the Super Bowl, and after a very close, well played game, I could stomach an Eagles win.  One of my best friends is a diehard Iggles fan, and I know how bad losing to the Patsies crushed her.  So, I could at least be OK with it, on her behalf.

I could not take losing to Whiz & Grimm.  That would be too uncool.

Beating the Ravens would also make me very very happy, no matter what happens after that.

I'm still the one with the boobs.
msdmnr2002
Old School Member

« Reply #4 on: Jan 12, 2009 at 13:44 »

No, at this point, the blood's in the water. If we went to and lost the Super Bowl, I'd feel incomplete. This is a season that has four flawed teams left, and we are the least flawed IMO (hope that makes sense). You can't let opportunities like this slip away.

That's well said, SDW.  If the Giants, a healthy Pats team, and some other powerhouse were still in it, it would be one thing, but considering who's left - Ravens team we've beaten twice, an Arizona team that's playing over it's head, and a Philly team that's solid but beatable, a loss anywhere along the way right now would be tough to stand. 

We were the first to 3 rings, first to 4.  Lost the race to 5, but I want to get back in front.  Can't waste many chances.
Big Virgil
Old School Member

« Reply #5 on: Jan 12, 2009 at 13:57 »

I was thinking about the possible Steeler West VS Steeler superbowl possibility. 

That would make excellent fodder during the off week.

Looks like you've been missing a lot of work lately.
I wouldn't say I've been *missing* it, Bob.
dare2beme

« Reply #6 on: Jan 12, 2009 at 14:13 »

I was thinking about the possible Steeler West VS Steeler superbowl possibility. 

That would make excellent fodder during the off week.

That would also be another chapter in the solidification of the Success of the Steeler Franchise and its far-reaching effects.

They could throw Dungy's retirement in to spruce the story up even more...

If you ain't a Steeler fan, you're just a Jag-off...especially here in Jacksonburgh, FL!
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #7 on: Jan 12, 2009 at 14:38 »

I agree with msdmnr.  We've clawed through this bitch-ass schedule with a patchwork like, a fundamentally retarded offensive coordinator, and the usual slings and arrows of physical injury.  Last year, I didn't think we were ready for the big show, and viewed moving on in the playoffs as a blessing/curse.  Remember last year?  The almighty and invincible Patriots?  Our defense, that seemed to wear down as we went down the stretch?  The same gripes about line play and offensive playcalling?  Fact is, I think we would have been in for a nasty loss in the AFCC had we gotten past the Jags, but that's all in the past.

We've met the loftiest of regular season expectations, and exceeded what most of us realistically thought this team could and would do.  Hell, I'm still a bit ticked off that we pissed away the Giants and Colts games, and didn't wind up with a 14-2 season.  Eagles and Tits beat us fair and square, I'll give 'em that, and we certainly had our own luck in a number of other close scrapes (Cowboys, Ravens), so maybe 12-4 was our destiny or some shit.  

But post-season, new season.  Visions of a once-4-and-8 Chargers team with shit for defense and that insufferable twat Phil Livers beating us in our own house raised nightmare visions (which erupted briefly when we went down 0-7 briefly in the first quarter).  I mean, I'd be walking the dog and then suddenly shudder as that grinning weasel taunted the crowd post-Steelers collapse, another AFCC disappointment.  Questions of which would be the most disgusting scenario arose: losing to these pretenders, per se?  Would they then be sacrificial lambs to the ravenous Ravens, whereas we would have at least given the Ravens a fight?  Or would they keep rolling with the upsets, and repeat history by going to the Super Bowl... and then get blown the fuck out, as better AFC teams sat at home?  Or would the worst of all be seeing Livers, and his sucky miracle ass band of bastard thieves, holding OUR precious Lombardi aloft after some NFC schmos hand fucking delivered the game to the sickly Bolts?

Oh God, it was all too much to consider.

Well, this week, the options get much worse.  Stakes are higher.  THEE hated rival Ravens.  I mean, I may hate the Patriots as much or more, just because they're such motherfucking cunt cheater golden boy media wet dreams, and in a way I have a grudging respect for the Ravens who are cut out of the same cloth as we are, being defensive grunts in the slobbernocker AFCN, but of course we know that the Ravens are the thugs, the braggarts, the bad boys, the dope dealers and the killers-turned-men of God.  So I guess my hatred for the Pats and Ravens is, all things considered, equal but different in its expression.  

Seeing the Ravens hoist the trophy this year would make me sick beyond words, an existential hangover that the 2009 season might not even erase.  I don't think this needs explaining.  Seeing Ray Lewis doing that fucking gay ass dance in the intros would make me want to Borax my eyeballs.

So, to the Q at hand.  If we get to face the Eagles, or the Cards, would I just be OK with a good season, if we came up just short of a sixth ring?  No, I would not be fucking all right with that, whether we lost by 1 point in a hard-fought game, or by 30 points as the butt of a Super Bowl blowout joke.  This ain't last year, where I can see a team on the horizon that could administer a whuppin to us, and feel that we may be outclassed.  We can beat ANY team this year, even with our many faults.  We're pushing all the chips to the middle, baby.  There's no turning back now.  If we get past the Ravens, and we bloody fucking well better, there's no excuse for losing in Tampa.

Let's say we face the Eagles.  Yes, the team that the Bengals played to a draw, who had to have a miracle of a final week, stars aligning just so, a few thousand Tibetan monks all in some chanted prayer unison on their behalf, and a field of four leafed clovers just to get in.  A supremely talented team that plays with all the consistency of Sybil without the meds.  I don't hate the team, but I do hate the fans, and having to face Eagles fans who would rub our noses in it for a lifetime, regardless of overall number of Super Bowl wins, is not an option.  Losing to them in the regular season and then again in the Super Bowl would mean that there's no argument for us as the better team, which I believe we are.  It would be a slap in the face of every guy on that defense, for one thing, to lose to the Philly birds.  Sure, they pulled out the stops blitzing us way back at the dawn of the season, but still only put up 15 points on us.  If we can get through that nightmare, and learn something from it, where is the argument for the Eagles as a better team?  I don't want to lose to an inferior team, sorry.  Stretches at a time, the Eagles flat out disappeared.  Season on the line, I thought they shat the bed by basically sleepwalking through a loss to the by-then flatlined Redskins.  How the fuck do you not get up for these games?  So, in essence, losing to the Eagles would be like losing to some lazy motherfuckers whose greasy-assed cheese-steak eating fans would just burp that loss up in our faces for decades.  Uh, no thanks.

The Cards, surprise team of the 2008 playoff season, the Steelers West.  OK, kudos to Whiz, great coaching on his part, got these guys playing waaaay over their heads.  Hard to imagine they pull yet another upset, but as noted, Fatass Andy Reid's boys could pull another patented narcolept game, and we'd have another in the proud tradition of inferior teams who lucked or plucked their way through the playoffs only to show the world that, yes, they did suck after all.  Again, the Chargers come to mind, those pricks who stole one from us in another AFCC heartbreaker and promptly got their asses handed to them.  The '98 Falcons.  All those crappy Broncos teams before Davis.  The Cards win?  In what upside-down universe?  Yeah, again, I know, they beat us in the regular season last year, but come on.  They're shit.  Whiz better than Tomlin?  The Cards defense better than this iteration of the great Steelers defense?  Who even fucking watches the Cardinals?  Bunch of fucking retirees exiled to warmer climates?  Scorpions, tumbleweeds, stray peyote freaks, immigration vigilantes, coyote carcasses?  What the fuck kind of town is... where the hell are they again?  Glendale?  Are you fucking kidding me?  That sounds like someplace you send grandma to dye her hair blue.  Not exactly the Steel City, or even Chicago, or Green Bay, or any of the good old broad-shouldered football classic powerhouses.  Glendale?  The only thing worse than a joke of a playoff team winning it all would be losing it to that joke of a team.

I can't take it.

Can't take losing to Baltimore.

Can't take losing to Philly.

Can't take losing to... Glendale.

Just... win... PLEASE...

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
msdmnr2002
Old School Member

« Reply #8 on: Jan 12, 2009 at 14:52 »

I agree with msdmnr.

Thanks, except you said it about 4298% better than I did.

helmet   yeh headbang
jasonic
Brownstains can suck my Member

« Reply #9 on: Jan 13, 2009 at 11:36 »

I grew up one mile from the new stadium in yes, glendale AZ, and nothing was worse than attending the game last year when they beat us...the cards fans are all retreaded Dallas fans which was bad enough being a steeler fan living there - now in Brooklyn thank god - but they are just as rowdy and classles.  leaving the stadium in defeat in my neighborhood while getting pummeled by insults and visions of these lifelong loser team fans stomping on my beloved terrible towel was more than i can handle - saw at least 3 instances that day - and have been in wait and now our time could come to crush their dreams and realize one of ours.  the sixth ring.  i would love nothing more than to get it by blasting through them and their joke of a bidwell team....let's just get there first.   Memories of Jerome Bettis running for the winning touchdown against the cards in '95 in OT in Sun Devil stadium is one of my favorite live football memories and I want to add to the list of memorable Steeler moments as I'm sure all of us on this board want!!!

HERE WE GO STEELERS, HERE WE GO...

"If you make every game a life and death proposition, you're going to have problems. For one thing, you'll be dead a lot."
Pages: [1] 2 ... 11   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: