Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Oct 21, 2014 at 07:10 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Not to get ahead of ourselves here, but...  (Read 577 times)
Steelerdipwad
Old School Member

« on: Jan 16, 2009 at 14:58 »

If, and I acknowledge it's a bif if, but, if Tomlin leads the Steelers to a Super Bowl win this year, and drafts a bunch of offensive linemen in April, will he immediately jump ahead of Cowher in Steeler coaching lore?

"Fanatics are picturesque. Mankind would rather see gestures than listen to reason." - Friederich Nietzsche
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #1 on: Jan 16, 2009 at 15:07 »

If, and I acknowledge it's a bif if, but, if Tomlin leads the Steelers to a Super Bowl win this year, and drafts a bunch of offensive linemen in April, will he immediately jump ahead of Cowher in Steeler coaching lore?

Wow.  Good question.

He inherited a strong if underperforming team from Cowher, but guided it very well his first two years.  Last year, he wasn't shaky, he just was trying to establish himself, without putting on some tough guy show or anything.  This year, he's totally in control.  He's shown both years that he can be a gambler, which infuriates many, but which I love.  He hasn't made any tough decisions among the coaching ranks, so we have to see how that pans.  But he did transition Porter out and Harrison in, which took some balls.

I think for a true apples to apples comparison, we'll need to see Tomlin here for as long as Cowher was, or almost as long.  There's bound to be ups and downs, unless he's the next Dungy of consistency. 

I think Cowher was a really, really good coach with some quirks and shortcomings that drove us mad.  I think Tomlin has the capacity to exceed him, but it's just way too early to tell.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
Merman1983
Old School Member

Master of the figure-four leglock

« Reply #2 on: Jan 16, 2009 at 18:07 »

It's also fun to think about how much better Cowher's legacy would be if he had a guy like Ben from day one. People can say what they want about him, but he has pulled out a ridiculous number of games for us the past two years.

While Cowher seemed to help architect the "3/4 zone-blitz" Tomlin has seemingly added his own Cover-2 element, which has decreased big plays. Looks like he took a great defense with some chinks in the armor and turned it into an even better defense that is that much harder to score on.

Cowher seemed to go maddeningly conservative at times, waiting until we were down two TDs to start throwing which cost us some early playoff games. Until, of course, he came out throwing in 2005. Tomlin seems to like mixing it up, and definitely goes for the jugular at times, which I am all for. Step on that fucking throat.

It's all going to come down to one number. If Tomlin wins more than one Lombardi, then his legacy wil be greater than Cowher's in most people's eyes. Of course it matter to people who had the franchise QB and who didn't, it's only going to matter who brings home more hardware.

To answer the original question, if Tomlin brings home a trophy in year 2, he's got to get serious consideration.

aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #3 on: Jan 16, 2009 at 19:42 »

No.

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
Preacherman0
Old School Member

« Reply #4 on: Jan 17, 2009 at 11:32 »

Good question, just asked way too early.  Let's see how Tomlin does over the long haul and how he responds in the lean years.  I was impressed with Cowher's ability to bring us back from the dead at different times.  Will Tomlin have that ability, or will he pull a Jon Gruden and turn into a pumpkin after a few years?

We have traded Christ for the religion of Christianity.
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #5 on: Jan 17, 2009 at 11:55 »

Good question, just asked way too early.  Let's see how Tomlin does over the long haul and how he responds in the lean years.  I was impressed with Cowher's ability to bring us back from the dead at different times.  Will Tomlin have that ability, or will he pull a Jon Gruden and turn into a pumpkin after a few years?

I think Gruden is a bit of a flake with the way he handles quarterbacks and seemingly only coaches or cares about the offensive side of the game.  It seems like he made that Oakland team better, but they were on the verge anyways.  And the Tampa team had been to a few NFCC's before he got there.  After they won it that first year they've done nothing but slide.

But Tomlin doesn't surpass Cowher after just two years on the job.  Let's see what happens.  I'm rooting for him though 'cause that means good things for the Steelers and their fans.

Like Finny said, Tomlin isn't afraid to gamble.  And while I like that IMO he needs to temper that a bit, perhaps take a step back really weigh the success vs failure outcomes.  But I guess in the heat of competition that's easier said than done.

"I like David Bowie, he was always my favorite member of Tin Machine."
- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
leighclay
Old School Member

« Reply #6 on: Jan 17, 2009 at 20:26 »

Let him get to the big game first. Then let him win it.
I like his start, but let's see how he continues.
My gut tells me he could be great.  Noll-esque, even if he doesn't get it this year.
But he needs time to prove that.
I'm pretty sure he's no Gruden...

I'm still the one with the boobs.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: