Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Dec 19, 2014 at 19:04 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Pioli going to the Chiefs  (Read 761 times)
Steelerdipwad
Old School Member

« on: Jan 13, 2009 at 14:25 »

ESPN radio just announced that Pioli is leaving the Pats (yaaaaay!) and has been hired by the Chiefs. Hopefully, this will bring the end of the Pats Dynasty* and the Chiefs will get better. Always liked the Chiefs for some reason. The Browns are idiots. I really didn't think anyone could get Pioli away from the Pats, but if the Browns had a shot at him, and they passed over that, just to hire Mangina, LMAO!

Supposedly, the Pats promoted their director of player personnel.

Chiefs are already rumored to have Herm in the sights and Spagnulo as the leading candidate for coach. It's about time. Herm sucks.
« Last Edit: Jan 13, 2009 at 14:46 by Steelerdipwad » Logged

"Fanatics are picturesque. Mankind would rather see gestures than listen to reason." - Friederich Nietzsche
Big Virgil
Old School Member

« Reply #1 on: Jan 14, 2009 at 13:32 »

Can't imagine moving from an organization like the Pats to the Chefs, although I imagine Belidick would be miserable enough to make it look attractive.

Looks like you've been missing a lot of work lately.
I wouldn't say I've been *missing* it, Bob.
Steelerdipwad
Old School Member

« Reply #2 on: Jan 14, 2009 at 14:09 »

So did the $40 million.

"Fanatics are picturesque. Mankind would rather see gestures than listen to reason." - Friederich Nietzsche
Big Virgil
Old School Member

« Reply #3 on: Jan 14, 2009 at 15:41 »

That could possibly have a minimal effect.

Looks like you've been missing a lot of work lately.
I wouldn't say I've been *missing* it, Bob.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #4 on: Jan 14, 2009 at 16:01 »

OK, if Belichimp loses all these supposedly great coordinators (Weis, Crennel... Mangina... Skippy the New Broncos Coach) and now Pioli... AND gets busted for videotaping but (we guess) stops that... AND loses Brady for a year without going belly-up (who knows about next year)...

At some point do we say, OK, we hate the fucktard, but maybe he's even better than we grudgingly credit him for?

And, as we consider that, and all the coordinators and assistants that left the Cowher teams, and seemed to basically fizzle as head coaches, do we likewise say, OK, for all his faults, maybe Cowher was better than we credited him for being?

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
Steelerdipwad
Old School Member

« Reply #5 on: Jan 14, 2009 at 16:06 »

I consider Bellicheck the best coach in the nfl, hands down, and a future HOFer, may his dick fall off.

One of Cowher's assistants is in the NFC Championship game this year, and another one is making Omar Epps look really good, so I don't know if I'm ready to jump on the Cowher bandwagon just yet.

DCSteelers
Old School Member

« Reply #6 on: Jan 15, 2009 at 12:41 »

The key to the Pats demize will be the aging D and O-line protection for Beardy.

But, as long as Beardy is behind center and they have a decent receiving corps like Moss and Welker, I don't see a losing season for quite sometime.
msdmnr2002
Old School Member

« Reply #7 on: Jan 15, 2009 at 13:43 »

At some point do we say, OK, we hate the fucktard, but maybe he's even better than we grudgingly credit him for?

60s - Green Bay - Lombardi gets the credit much more than Bart Starr.  Probably because the team around Starr was so good, the coach gets more accolades for building the machine.

70s - Pittsburgh - Noll gets more credit than Bradshaw.  Why?  After Bradshaw retired, Steelers didn't do a whole lot until Cowher came along.  However, see Green Bay above.

80s - Both Walsh and Montana get credit fairly equally. I guess Walsh gets credit for building the team, while Montana is immortalized for the 4th quarter comebacks.

90s - Jimmy Johnson gets more credit than Aikman, largely because when he left the Cowboys didn't do anything after that first year with similar personnel.

00s - Belicheat and Brady both get credit, but I think Brady deserves more.  Belichek did nothing in Cleveland.  Do we believe that if the Pats didn't stumble onto Brady in the 6th round, then have Bledsoe get hurt at the right time, that the Pats would have 3 rings?  I don't.  Plus, the team around him has rarely been spectacular across the board.  Plus, it seems that good fortune has been a more visible part of their success (Tuck rule, 2 special teams TDs in '01.  Panthers KO out of bounds when they were storming back, etc.).

Looking at the trend, it seems the coach tends to get more credit for prolonged success while QBs get credit for individual games.  In that case, Belichek probably deserves credit (which he gets nationally), but for whatever reason Brady seems to have a bigger role in the Pats' success than previous QBs had during their runs.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: