Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Apr 17, 2014 at 23:03 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Injury updates  (Read 547 times)
PghSteel-43
Old School Member

« on: Jan 16, 2009 at 04:12 »

Best news I've heard all year long when it comes to this team...

Crosby will be game-day decision
Friday, January 16, 2009
By Dave Molinari, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Sidney Crosby doesn't know yet if he'll be in uniform when the Penguins face Anaheim at Mellon Arena tonight, and he isn't terribly pleased about that.

He officially is listed as day-to-day with what appears to be an injured left knee, which means it's possible he'll be able to play against the Ducks, but also that he'll spend the evening in street clothes.

That decision figures to be made at the Penguins' game-day skate.

"I need to see if I can skate," Crosby said. "I'll test it out and see how I feel."

For a guy who's ultra-competitive down to the last corpuscle, that kind of coin-toss prognosis isn't very satisfying. Under the circumstances, though, it might have been the most encouraging news Crosby could have received after having his injury evaluated yesterday.

"I'm not happy with today," he said, "but it could have been a lot worse, that's for sure."

Crosby was injured with just over four minutes left in the Penguins' 6-3 loss Wednesday to Washington at Mellon Arena, when he got tangled up with Capitals forward David Steckel along the boards.

Steckel had lunged for a loose puck as Crosby was moving in to check him.

"He was diving for the puck, and I just got caught up with him," Crosby said. "I was just trying to bump him off the puck. There was kind of a loose puck in front of us.

"I was trying to get body position and get the puck. I think he thought he was going to kind of lose the race, so he just tried to dive for it, and I got caught up with him."

While Crosby and team officials declined to say anything about his injury other than that it was of the "lower-body" variety, Crosby allowed that he underwent a magnetic resonance imaging examination that did not detect any significant damage

He added that he "didn't have too much swelling" in the wake of his injury, but understands that could change when he gets back on skates.

"You have to see how you react when you're out there on the ice, as far as swelling goes," he said. "Sometimes, things flare up a little more, so I have to be careful about that."

Swelling already is a problem for defenseman Rob Scuderi, who left the Washington game in the first period after being struck in the forehead by a Mike Green shot. Like Crosby and Max Talbot, who got an undisclosed "upper-body" injury against the Capitals, Scuderi's status for the game tonight is uncertain.

What is clear is that the Penguins' penalty-killing unit, which has been lackluster in most recent games, will suffer against the Ducks if Scuderi can't play.

"He's doing a great job," coach Michel Therrien said. "He's blocking a lot of shots. He has a good stick, he's in good position. You could tell when we lost Scuderi that we lost an edge."

Crosby, Scuderi and Talbot were not among the 15 players who participated in an optional practice yesterday. Left winger Pascal Dupuis, who has missed the past four games because of what is believed to be a groin injury, skipped the session, too, although he skated alone before it.

Dupuis said he hopes to return before the all-star break, which begins after the home game Tuesday against Carolina, but Therrien said "I'm not quite sure yet" when he might play.

When a team is struggling the way the Penguins have been, injured players often feel an extra urgency to rejoin the lineup, even though doing so can be counterproductive over the long term.

"You feel a little bit more responsible … but you still have to be smart," Crosby said.

It's difficult to ignore the numbers, though. With a 21-20-4 record, the Penguins are on pace for 84 points, nowhere near as many as they likely will need to reach the playoffs.

"If you go by the last few years, 92 or 94 points is probably the number teams are looking for," Therrien said. "There's some catching up to do.

"It's going to be a battle to the end of the year. We understand, as a group, that we're fighting to make the playoffs. And we'll find a way."

Perhaps they will, but their challenge is compounded by having to rely on an injury-diluted lineup. It has been two months since the Penguins won consecutive games, and, if two more pass before they do it again, there won't be much need, let alone demand, for playoff tickets this spring.

"It hasn't been easy, but we're still in the picture here," Crosby said. "The season's not over. There's a lot of work to do."

http://www.postgazette.com/pg/09016/942250-61.stm
Captain Chaos
Old School Member

Underachieving Member

« Reply #1 on: Jan 16, 2009 at 14:21 »

Sorry to ruin your year, PghSteel-43

Crosby, 4 other Penguins to miss tonight's game
Friday, January 16, 2009
By Shelly Anderson, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Center and team captain Sidney Crosby tops a list of Penguins players who will miss tonight's game at Mellon Arena against the Anaheim Ducks because of injury.

Crosby was knocked out of Wednesday's game against Washington with an apparent left knee injury. He participated the first 20 minutes of today's morning skate but after he spent time in the training room it was determined he should skip the game.

"I don't feel comfortable enough to play," Crosby said, adding that he still considers himself day-to-day.

Also out for tonight are forwards Max Talbot (undisclosed upper-body injury) and Pascal Dupuis (believed to be leg injury) and defensemen Kris Letang (believed to be leg) and Rob Scuderi (face laceration). Letang and and Scuderi each were hit by shots in the Washington game. Talbot and Dupuis took part in the morning skate but are not ready to play.

To fill in, the Penguins recalled forwards Janne Pesonen, a Finnish winger who was promoted for the third time this season, and Fox Chapel native Bill Thomas from their Wilkes-Barre/Scranton farm team. Pesonen took part in the morning skate, and Thomas is expected to be here for game time.

Just one man's opinion.

"It's a big game because it's the next game." - Mike Tomlin
PghSteel-43
Old School Member

« Reply #2 on: Jan 16, 2009 at 16:50 »

Sorry to ruin your year, PghSteel-43

Why are you apologizing CC?  I mostly blame Shero for doing that. Grin

Eitherway, I actually thought Sid was done for the year after witnessing the pain the guy was going through on the bench the other night, so I kind of figured he wouldn't be playing tonight.  I was just relieved to read that there was no "significant damage" done. 

Plus, I came to terms with the fact a long time ago that if this team chooses not to make any moves in the very near future and opts to bank on bums like Satan, WBS fodder and hyped-up long shots from Finland, this season will be lost and we won't even make the playoffs.  My Penguin season was ruined when I read who Shero brought in as our replacements during the offseason.  Eitherway, I will still be at Mellon every night and supporting them.  I'm not sure I can say the same about others in this city.

So really, the only one's who can ruin my sports year are the Baltimore Ravens. Smiley

« Last Edit: Jan 16, 2009 at 17:08 by PghSteel-43 » Logged
Captain Chaos
Old School Member

Underachieving Member

« Reply #3 on: Jan 16, 2009 at 18:38 »

So really, the only one's who can ruin my sports year are the Baltimore Ravens. Smiley

Amen! Let's hope that doesn't happen!

Just one man's opinion.

"It's a big game because it's the next game." - Mike Tomlin
PghSteel-43
Old School Member

« Reply #4 on: Jan 16, 2009 at 21:53 »

The Good News:  We showed a pulse tonight.

The Bad News: I'm starting to see more and more empy seats, Orpik went down with an injury tonight and did not return and the Rangers, Devils and Flyers won tonight.
PghSteel-43
Old School Member

« Reply #5 on: Jan 17, 2009 at 09:21 »

Some good news on Orpik...

Orpik said after the game his injury was not serious and should not force him to miss significant time.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_607617.html

Other player updates....

Sidney Crosby was the first player off the ice, 20 minutes after the Penguins' morning skate started. That was the first clue the center and team captain wasn't going to play last night against Anaheim.

"I don't feel comfortable enough to play," he said afterward. "It just didn't feel good enough."

Crosby left the 6-3 loss Wednesday night to Washington with a little more than four minutes left in regulation. He apparently injured his left knee in a collision with Washington forward David Steckel.

He still considers himself out on a day-to-day basis.

"I'm going to try again [at practice today], try every day," said Crosby, who entered the night with 59 points, second in the NHL behind teammate Evgeni Malkin.

It was the first game Crosby has missed this season.

More injury updates

The Penguins had no healthy scratches, thanks to the fact that Crosby was one of four players who played against Washington but could not play last night.

Crosby and defenseman Kris Letang, who has an undisclosed problem, were the two who participated in the morning skate. Defenseman Rob Scuderi, whose face was still swollen after being hit there by a shot, and forward Max Talbot, who has an unspecified upper-body injury that is believed to involve his left shoulder, did not skate.

All are day to day, as is winger Pascal Dupuis, who missed his fifth game in a row because of what is believed to be a groin injury.

Dupuis skated with conditioning coach Mike Kadar early, then joined his teammates for the morning skate.

"We'll see how I feel when I wake up [today]," Dupuis said. "Hopefully, I'll play a game, or maybe two, before the [All-Star] break."

With the injuries, defensemen Mark Eaton and Philippe Boucher were back in the lineup. Eaton had been scratched the previous three games, Boucher the previous two.

"It's nothing new for us," said coach Michel Therrien, who has seen his team lose 177 man-games to injury entering the game. "We've been battling through injuries through the course of the season. We're trying to hang in there."

http://www.postgazette.com/pg/09017/942553-61.stm

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: