Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Oct 21, 2014 at 04:14 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Completely agree with Mel Kiper  (Read 1135 times)
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« on: Jan 16, 2009 at 09:11 »

Steelers win 23-6.

We just disagree on why he's pickin' 'em.

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #1 on: Jan 16, 2009 at 09:18 »

The Plastic Haired One didn't go all homer?  Oh, did he say the Ravens would win but they're too injured or something like that?

"I like David Bowie, he was always my favorite member of Tin Machine."
- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
Big Virgil
Old School Member

« Reply #2 on: Jan 16, 2009 at 09:20 »

I would disagree with him just because he is a stupid fuck.

Looks like you've been missing a lot of work lately.
I wouldn't say I've been *missing* it, Bob.
Preacherman0
Old School Member

« Reply #3 on: Jan 16, 2009 at 09:37 »

I think Mel is getting THE FEAR now.  He was almost humble, leaning towards apologetic about the Ravens this morning.  If you're being the typical homer, then you're in for it Mon. morning if it doesn't go your way.  Eat some humble pie now, and you can work whichever side is convenient on Monday.

We have traded Christ for the religion of Christianity.
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #4 on: Jan 16, 2009 at 10:13 »

No.

He basically "picked" Pittsburgh as sort of a jinx pick.

He still believes that Baltimore is a team of destiny, overcoming the pre-season predictions, going on the road, injuries, everything...blah, blah, blah.  Pretty sure he also said that he "took" Tennessee last week too.  So, he figured that he'd do the same thing this week and make everyone back in Baltimore happy.

Delusional fucks.  Every last one of 'em.

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
Spen

« Reply #5 on: Jan 16, 2009 at 13:07 »

I call it like I see it, always have. And I don't like the Ravens chances too much. Especially after that hard hitting game last week against the Titans and the relative easy game the Steelers. If Suggs and Rolle cannot play, that really hurts. Even healthy I think the Steelers are slightly better, but not by much.

Heck I thought the Ravens would be 4-12 with a rookie head coach and rookie QB. Then if I would have been asked how I thought they would have done without Gregg all season and without Mcallister, I may have even toned down those expectations. So whatever way this game ends, I still really enjoyed this season.

I was also absolutely convinced the Cowboys would be the Ravens in week 16, so I haven't abandoned all hope.

I honestly think this is the weakest pool of championship teams I can ever remember. I don't think any of them are truly great.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #6 on: Jan 16, 2009 at 13:42 »

So, Comedian, you don't think Suggs is just pretending to be hurt?  Seems to be the whisper.  Not like that would change the Steelers' approach, tho'.

I've been saying for some time that I think the best defenses would win out in the playoffs this year, perhaps moreso than other years.  I had the Steelers, Ravens, Titans, Eagles, and Vikings were the best in that regard, pretty much for the second half of the season.  I get what you're saying about a weak playoff field, but I see it as a case where the defenses are so completely dominant this year, that they overcompensate for poor offenses.  The best of the bunch may be that Eagles offense, and objectively, I think even they are middle of the road.

Still, the Steelers and Ravens are both 13-win teams right now, because their defenses are simply playing great, great ball.  Call me old fashioned, but I tend to like that. 

BTW, not because he's a Ravens homer, but Kiper is increasingly irrelevant.  His relevance used to be as punchline, and now he's more of a headache.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
Puma170
Bleedin' Black and Gold behind enemy lines

« Reply #7 on: Jan 16, 2009 at 13:44 »

BTW, not because he's a Ravens homer, but Kiper is increasingly irrelevant.  His relevance used to be as punchline, and now he's more of a headache.

Well said...

PUMA
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #8 on: Jan 16, 2009 at 13:54 »

I honestly think this is the weakest pool of championship teams I can ever remember. I don't think any of them are truly great.

Who's missing that should be there?  Patsies?  They probably make the playoffs if Beardy doesn't go down.  If.  No guarantees they advance in the playoffs though.  But other than them, what other AFC team is missing?

As for the NFC side, who's missing there?  And please don't say the Cowboys.  That hype-machine finished right where they should have.  Atlanta and AZ were surprises but they earned their playoff spots as did the Eagles.  Anyone really miss Chicago?

Unless you saying that we're really witnessing some parity here then I don't know what you mean.  And wte of the Patsies early-decade run we've been witnessing it for some time.

"I like David Bowie, he was always my favorite member of Tin Machine."
- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
Spen

« Reply #9 on: Jan 16, 2009 at 13:56 »

So, Comedian, you don't think Suggs is just pretending to be hurt?  Seems to be the whisper.  Not like that would change the Steelers' approach, tho'.

I havent heard that. He was a good portion of the second half last week, wasnt he? If so I doubt is a fake.

I wouldnt be amazed if he is downplaying his chances of playing and really plans to, but I do think he is hurt and wont be near 100%. I heard he may have to wear a shoulder brace.

I too think the Eagles may be the best offense left but if the Cardinals can get Boldin back they may be able to put up some points.

Jonzr, I dont think anyone is missing that should be in the championship games. I just dont think any of the four teams left are that great. Not that they have to be, they are the best teams this season so thats all that matters.
« Last Edit: Jan 16, 2009 at 14:00 by Spen » Logged
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #10 on: Jan 16, 2009 at 15:01 »

I should clarify, I think the Eagles are the team with the best offense among the defensive powehouses.  That Cards offense, with a healthy Boldin and Larry Fitz, is probably the best of the bunch overall.  Especially if they're actually trying to run the ball some.

Maybe I'm listening too much to the talk radio hype, but my strong gut feeling about the Eagles winning via defense is starting to waver.  I really think the Cards could pull the upset.  I'll stick with the Eagles for now, but the Cards have been playing well and are at home.  So who knows.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
SCacalaki
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #11 on: Jan 16, 2009 at 15:44 »

My guess is Suggs is overplaying the extent of the injury, and he'll play Sunday, albeit it with reduced upperbody mobility and reduced # of snaps

Suggs is injured, but I don't think it's as bad as he's letting on.

Words to live by:  "Dick LeBeau is Dick LeBeau," Tomlin said. "Everybody knows Dick."
pensodyssey
Halfsharkalligator halfman.
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #12 on: Jan 16, 2009 at 15:49 »

I havent heard that. He was a good portion of the second half last week, wasnt he? If so I doubt is a fake.

I wouldnt be amazed if he is downplaying his chances of playing and really plans to, but I do think he is hurt and wont be near 100%. I heard he may have to wear a shoulder brace.

I too think the Eagles may be the best offense left but if the Cardinals can get Boldin back they may be able to put up some points.

Jonzr, I dont think anyone is missing that should be in the championship games. I just dont think any of the four teams left are that great. Not that they have to be, they are the best teams this season so thats all that matters.

spen, I appreciate your honesty (we all do), but when you have a defense like the Steelers', who stack up competitively with the best of all time, I think you have at least one squad that's gonna be pretty memorable if the hoist the hardware.

A shabby Charlie Brown.
SCacalaki
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #13 on: Jan 16, 2009 at 15:58 »

Homer

Words to live by:  "Dick LeBeau is Dick LeBeau," Tomlin said. "Everybody knows Dick."
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: