Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Jul 23, 2014 at 05:14 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I don't agree with this article at all...  (Read 374 times)
DCSteelers
Old School Member

« on: Jan 15, 2009 at 13:50 »

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/football/nfl/01/15/chff/index.html?eref=T1

Why complain about the seedings?  Winning the championship and a playoff spot is very simple... JUST WIN GAMES!!!

I can see where the 1967 Colts and 2008 Patriots example is frustrating.  By all rights, a team with that good of a record should make the playoffs.

The home field advantage argument here, where a lower win % team should not host a higher win % team, is balony.  If the 12-4 Colts were truly a better team, wouldn't they have gone into 8-8 San Diego and won convincingly?  Shouldn't the Panthers have mopped up the Cards?

Finally, he uses the argument of the 2005 Steelers being an anomolous Superbowl champion, and I felt implied they shouldn't have won it.  Why couldn't the 1-2 and 3 seeds beat the Steelers WITH their homefield advantage?  Balony.

Thoughts??
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #1 on: Jan 15, 2009 at 14:43 »

Couldn't even finish it, the guy cannot make a clear point.  He's all over the place.  Fuck him.  No matter what system was used to determine the playoff teams, it would be somewhat arbitrary.  We have division winners and the best two of the rest ranked accordingly with extra weight to the division winners.  So what? 

A 12-4 team had to play on the road at an 8-8 team?  Not how I see it.  Rather, a wild card team went on the road to a division winner.  All things are not equal in the NFL.  Why not do away with the divisions altogether and play the top 6 teams ranked as they finish?  Play 15 games against your conference and one more against the other for the regular season.  How about that?  That way everyone has the same schedule except for that one non-conf game and themselves, of course.  But everything still isn't equal.

Bah.  That douche is either a Colts fan or even worse, a Patsy fan.

"I like David Bowie, he was always my favorite member of Tin Machine."
- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #2 on: Jan 15, 2009 at 14:56 »

Couldn't even finish it, the guy cannot make a clear point.  He's all over the place.  Fuck him.  No matter what system was used to determine the playoff teams, it would be somewhat arbitrary.  We have division winners and the best two of the rest ranked accordingly with extra weight to the division winners.  So what? 

A 12-4 team had to play on the road at an 8-8 team?  Not how I see it.  Rather, a wild card team went on the road to a division winner.  All things are not equal in the NFL.  Why not do away with the divisions altogether and play the top 6 teams ranked as they finish?  Play 15 games against your conference and one more against the other for the regular season.  How about that?  That way everyone has the same schedule except for that one non-conf game and themselves, of course.  But everything still isn't equal.

Bah.  That douche is either a Colts fan or even worse, a Patsy fan.

Agree. I skimmed and chucked.  Same old arguments I've heard before, rendered less than cogently.

I have no problem with the current system.  There will always be teams on the outside looking in who have a legitimate argument as to why they should be in.  Weak division winners.  Records in one conference that wouldn't cut it in the other conference.  Whatever.

I think that, if anything, a "weak" team like the Cards going on the road and plastering the "strong" 2 seed Panthers, or the magical if improbable 2005 season Super Bowl winning Steelers, make an argument that the current system has its merits, allows dark horse teams to create a great story, and keeps all the fans involved in one way or another.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
Puma170
Bleedin' Black and Gold behind enemy lines

« Reply #3 on: Jan 16, 2009 at 07:13 »

Even with a system that allows 65 teams to qualify (the NCAA Tournament) there are still complaints about the the weak division winners keeping really good ACC or Big East schools out.  Tough shit.  Win your conference and they you don't have to sweat it.  This is all just whiny pants nonsense.  Why did the Jags have to go to Pittsburgh last year?  Tough Shit!!!

PUMA
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: