Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Oct 22, 2014 at 07:56 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 ... 4 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: So, how do we contain Fitz?  (Read 2210 times)
Steelerdipwad
Old School Member

« on: Jan 19, 2009 at 07:51 »

Ravens game's over, time to move on. Ike better have a hell of a lot better day in the Super Bowl than he had yesterday.

"Fanatics are picturesque. Mankind would rather see gestures than listen to reason." - Friederich Nietzsche
pensodyssey
Halfsharkalligator halfman.
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #1 on: Jan 19, 2009 at 13:15 »

I'm guessing we're going to play back off the line in this game, daring the Cards to run the ball.  Just an early prediction.  Warner is similar to Collins in that he gets the ball out quickly, the difference being that Warner has an ungodly amount of talent at WR.  Of course, the temptation to blitz is there too; I've seen a lot of Warner on good teams and bad, and once you start getting to him, he'll put the ball on the turf two or three times. 

A shabby Charlie Brown.
OhioU_Stlrs_Fan

« Reply #2 on: Jan 19, 2009 at 15:25 »

This is an easy one, sick the #1 defense after them.

cmon' this is getting old now... Arizona is the flavor of the week. so i consider us like mold, we are just here to ruin that flavor.

just as SD was going to beat us after taking it to indy
just like Balt. was going to beat us after taking it to Tenn
just like Ariz. is after taking it to Phil.

I have all the faith in the world, we were predicted to barley make the playoffs if that, with this schedule, I'm sorry but I've got a feeling that we will shut them down just as we did, TO, Johnson, Johnson, Moss, that doesn't include top TE like Gates and Witten and so forth we have played damn near all the best receivers and have shut them all down. Don't forget kids we are the FASTEST, NASTIEST, MOST BRUTAL, DEFENSE IN THE UNIVERSE. I'm pretty the Steelers D could of invaded Afghanistan with just the starting 11 and found bin laden before the 4pm games.

I Heart The Steelers.

Movie On Repeat (1) - Death Race
Movie On Repeat (2) -Max Payne None
Song On Repeat (1)- Jay Z - Brooklyn We Go Hard
Song On Repeat (2)-Here We Go, Duh its Playoff Time!
Book i cant put down -Dean Koontz - Shadowfires
TX Steelers Fan
N00b

« Reply #3 on: Jan 19, 2009 at 15:37 »

The Card's have a mediocre running game, so that frees up this great defense to concentrate more on Fitz.  Simple.

« Last Edit: Jan 19, 2009 at 15:55 by Robotman » Logged
pensodyssey
Halfsharkalligator halfman.
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #4 on: Jan 19, 2009 at 16:01 »

I'm pretty the Steelers D could of invaded Afghanistan with just the starting 11 and found bin laden before the 4pm games.

Nice.  Overwhelming force.

A shabby Charlie Brown.
vcuram
Brownstains can suck my Member

« Reply #5 on: Jan 19, 2009 at 16:37 »

I think we'll be okay against the Cards pass attack.  In years past, pass defense has been our weakness.  This year we've done a really good job of preventing the big pass plays that usually kill us.

That said, Fitz is the type of player I'd love to have on the Steelers.  Great player and a great kid.

I've thrown a kettle over a pub before.  What the fuck have you ever done?
SCacalaki
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #6 on: Jan 19, 2009 at 17:14 »

Of course, the temptation to blitz is there too; I've seen a lot of Warner on good teams and bad, and once you start getting to him, he'll put the ball on the turf two or three times. 

I too was thinking Warner was a fumbler. 

Words to live by:  "Dick LeBeau is Dick LeBeau," Tomlin said. "Everybody knows Dick."
steelerfaninCO
Old School Member

« Reply #7 on: Jan 19, 2009 at 18:58 »

Larry is a bonafide stud for sure.... The best pass defense is a good pass rush though. The Steelers can rattle Warner by getting in his face and hitting him. The Cards O is about timing, so the DL and LB's have to get to Warner and either make him move in he pocket, or make him hurry throws. Kurt is pretty adept at reading the blitz and hitting the hot read on a slant or something. I think Lebeau has the secondary cover, and tries to stop the run with the front seven.

Of course I'm not a DC, but I would think about doubling Fitz with McFadden and Clark over the top, and give Boldin to Ike, and see if Ike can handle him without too much help from Troy. DeShea or Gay will have Preston, which is about even. But if the double team can limit Fitz, and Ike can limit Boldin, Kurt's options will be limited. The LB's can handle the TE's and RB's. The key will be if the D can get to Warner with rushing 4-5 guys, because bringing the house will be risky as Kurt has torched the blitz this season. Look at what the Gints did to the Pats last year. It can be done, and Warner CAN be rattled. The Cards haven't been a physical war week in and week out like the Steelers, and I just don't think they are going to be ready when Pitt comes out and punches them in the mouth.
give'emthaboot
Old School Member

« Reply #8 on: Jan 19, 2009 at 20:21 »

I'm guessing we're going to play back off the line in this game, daring the Cards to run the ball.  Just an early prediction.  Warner is similar to Collins in that he gets the ball out quickly, the difference being that Warner has an ungodly amount of talent at WR.  Of course, the temptation to blitz is there too; I've seen a lot of Warner on good teams and bad, and once you start getting to him, he'll put the ball on the turf two or three times. 

Getting pressure on Warner is the way to throw his game off.  See Philly's gameplan in the 2nd half.  Lots of Harrison, Woodley and Foote from all angles.  Let Farrior roam the middle of the field, take away the underneath stuff to Fitz & Boldin, limit the YAC that they have been so great at all season.  Have Polamalu shadow Fitz all night, most notably on obvious passing downs.  Those jump balls won't be so easy with Troy in his grill all game.

Fitz is the shit, but I ain't worried.  This defense is outta this fucking world.

I used to really really be a big Boldin fan, but his tantrums yesterday really turned me off of him.  Typical WR diva shit.  Meanwhile, Fitz is jumping around like a kid watching Tim Hightower run for a first down on that game-winning drive..  The guy was just so fucking pumped that his team was on its way to a Super Bowl.  Just awesome. 

'Oh, my, James Harrison is not going to the White House, he must be a devil worshiper!'
Preacherman0
Old School Member

« Reply #9 on: Jan 19, 2009 at 20:42 »

The best pass defense is a good pass rush though.

Actually, I was thinking that the best defense is a good offense.  Since we don't have that, I'm hoping that we can at least come up with a game plan that will be similar to what we did against the Chargers.  Similar defenses--speed, athletes, but not incredibly tough and very beatable.  Hell, even the Panthers moved the ball on them, when they weren't throwing it right to them.  But, we have to control the football, pick up third downs, turn the clock in our favor.

FITZ CAN'T SCORE IF HE IS STANDING ON THE SIDELINES!  At least I don't think he can, but as good as he is, he might figure out a way.

I used to really really be a big Boldin fan, but his tantrums yesterday really turned me off of him.  Typical WR diva shit.  Meanwhile, Fitz is jumping around like a kid watching Tim Hightower run for a first down on that game-winning drive..  The guy was just so fucking pumped that his team was on its way to a Super Bowl.  Just awesome. 

I don't think that Boldin is quite as bad as he looked yesterday.  But, next to Fitzgerald, he may as well be the devil.  Dude is becoming the poster child for what a WR in this league SHOULD be.  He's like Hines Ward with more natural ability.

I don't think we'll play a ton of straight man.  I think we'll see a lot of man/zone combos, and keep Warner guessing as to who is coming and from where.  We aren't an all-out blitz team like the Eagles (although I wouldn't mind bringing the house on occassion).  Flacco didn't complete a single pass when we sent five guys on Sunday.  As good as our pass rush is, five is all we need.  That allows us to use a lot of different coverages and keep him guessing.  Warner clearly gets rattled he gets hit, so if we can deck him a couple of times, we can get the upper hand.

We have traded Christ for the religion of Christianity.
steelerfaninCO
Old School Member

« Reply #10 on: Jan 19, 2009 at 21:17 »

Actually, I was thinking that the best defense is a good offense. 

Good point Preach. If the Stillers can rack up a big TOP advantage, it would keep the Cards O off the field, and keep the D fresh. Its what Belicheatingenius did repeatedly to Peyton several times. Slow the game down. To do that though, the offense needs to get the run game going, and convert 3rd downs. The Cards D isn't that impressive, and if Pitt can score on Balty, they sure as shit can score on Arizona.

Hopefully 'Zona has the "just happy to be here" syndrome and comes out lacking intensity. They were only 9-7 this year, and we all know what happened to the only other 9-7(16 game schedule) team to make the SB. Vince Ferragamo and the LA Rams* gave it a go, but the more talented Steelers eventually pulled away. Lets hope history repeats itself.

* The '79 SB is the 1st game I remember betting on. My God father was a Rams fan, and at the ripe age of 5 , I was already a rabid Steeler fan, so we bet $5.....It was like taking candy from an old guy...
JackSplat
Jerk Store Proprietor
Old School Member

« Reply #11 on: Jan 19, 2009 at 21:53 »

Hopefully 'Zona has the "just happy to be here" syndrome and comes out lacking intensity.

That and i really hope that the extra week will cool that team off somewhat.  Take the 05 run for us.  we were firing on all 8 week after week for 7 straight.  then the 2 week layoff between the AFCCG and the Sooper Bowl.  thought Ben's timing was off the most that game.

As for Fitz specifically, i see alot of cover-2 in our future.  their zona running is shitty enough that we can use 6-7 guys in the box to contain it.  and for all that is Holy, Ike Freakin Taylor, MUST knock down every catchable ball and NOT, i repeat, NOT attempt to intercept.  Fitz is flippin spiderman and will grab any loose or deflected ball within 5 feet of him

Jerry, it's Frank Costanza, Mr.
Steinbrenner is here, George is dead, call me back!
Preacherman0
Old School Member

« Reply #12 on: Jan 19, 2009 at 22:13 »

and for all that is Holy, Ike Freakin Taylor, MUST knock down every catchable ball and NOT, i repeat, NOT attempt to intercept.

As long as he remembers to turn around first.

If he turns his head he still makes that play in the EZ with ease.

Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #13 on: Jan 20, 2009 at 08:41 »

I'm less worried about Ike, and more worried about Clark.  He has to stick to his deep assignments and give help over the top.

The 2007 loss in Glendale, noted football powerhouse city, had exactly zero running game and two Ben INTs.  Ben's been superb in keeping the ball away from the opponents' DBs, and if he continues that, we do have a chance to assert the offense.  Parker had 37 yards and Dookie 15?  I realize BA is a bloody hemorrhoid, so much so that he prefers to run into the teeth of the Balty D every gaddam rush, but I expect a running game more akin to the SD game.  Closer to 150 yards for Parker/the Invisible Man/GR.  That will help ice the pass attack.

Yeah, then you basically copycat what the Pats and Iggles did in the blowouts.  Early, I think you go the Penso route and drop guys into coverage, then you mix it up and tear Mr. Brenda's head off.  Great passer when not rattled.  So, you rattle him.  No one thought Knurt was all that back when the Gints were still rebuilding their OL. 

Are 56 + 91 + 98 + 99 + 92 > than their OL?  Let's hope the hell so.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
Steelerdipwad
Old School Member

« Reply #14 on: Jan 20, 2009 at 08:45 »

tear Mr. Brenda's head off. 

Hey, speaking of her, do you suppose she still has that chic fuzzy snake she had around her throat during that one Super Bowl?

"Fanatics are picturesque. Mankind would rather see gestures than listen to reason." - Friederich Nietzsche
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #15 on: Jan 20, 2009 at 10:43 »

tear Mr. Brenda's head off. 

Hey, speaking of her, do you suppose she still has that chic fuzzy snake she had around her throat during that one Super Bowl?

Man, don't jinx it.  I haven't seen one shot of her butch head since back in the day when that's all you'd see between plays of a Rams game.  No mas, no mas!

"I like David Bowie, he was always my favorite member of Tin Machine."
- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
Preacherman0
Old School Member

« Reply #16 on: Jan 20, 2009 at 11:07 »

As a fellow man of faith, I admire Kurt Warner.  I especially admire his commitment to stay faithful to his wife...no matter what she looks like.

Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #17 on: Jan 20, 2009 at 11:24 »

As a fellow man of faith, I admire Kurt Warner.  I especially admire his commitment to stay faithful to his wife...no matter what she looks like.

LOFL...

Anyone else think Knurt looks... a bit drawn?  Skinnier?  Not the round-faced lad of yesteryear?

Not that he's suffering from any wasting disease, or necessarily that he's suddenly more buff now... But he looks different.

jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #18 on: Jan 20, 2009 at 11:28 »

Anyone else think Knurt looks... a bit drawn?  Skinnier?  Not the round-faced lad of yesteryear?

Not that he's suffering from any wasting disease, or necessarily that he's suddenly more buff now... But he looks different.

It's the marriage - he's looking more and more like the old lady!  Wonder if they use the same fingernail polish (you wondered why he wore gloves, right)?

- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
otismalibu
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #19 on: Jan 20, 2009 at 11:29 »

Anyone else think Knurt looks... a bit drawn?  Skinnier?  Not the round-faced lad of yesteryear?

He's tryin' to Be Like Dick.

Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #20 on: Jan 20, 2009 at 11:31 »

It's the marriage - he's looking more and more like the old lady!  Wonder if they use the same fingernail polish (you wondered why he wore gloves, right)?

I bet she can pee farther than Knut, standing up.

aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #21 on: Jan 20, 2009 at 12:38 »

Blitz the statue...relentlessly .

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
otismalibu
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #22 on: Jan 20, 2009 at 12:50 »

If you can get to Warner, the dude drops shit like Dave Krieg. A little time and he'll pick you apart.

We need to have AZ folks throwing garbage in his yard on 2/2/09.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #23 on: Jan 20, 2009 at 12:59 »

SIING DAVE KREIGER!!!!!!!!!!11!!!!!!!!!!!

aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #24 on: Jan 20, 2009 at 19:22 »

I bet she can pee farther than Knut, standing up.

God must've intervened.  Looks like she had a sex change. 

Rams Brenda vs. Cardinals Brenda.

Nice!

Welcome to the female species, Brenda.

« Last Edit: Jan 20, 2009 at 19:25 by aj_law » Logged

Manimal

« Reply #25 on: Jan 20, 2009 at 19:30 »

If you can get to Warner, the dude drops shit like Dave Krieg. A little time and he'll pick you apart.

We need to have AZ folks throwing garbage in his yard on 2/2/09.

Yep. Harrison has a good chance to force two fumbles in this one.
Preacherman0
Old School Member

« Reply #26 on: Jan 20, 2009 at 19:57 »

Welcome to the female species, Brenda.

So, is she the blond or the one in the middle?  Haircuts look the same...

I guess the wife just got wise and stopped getting haircuts from 7th-year cosmotology students.  It's amazing what you can do when you're playing in the Super Bowl instead of bagging groceries and chucking it for the Barnstormers.

steelerfaninCO
Old School Member

« Reply #27 on: Jan 20, 2009 at 20:38 »

FWIW, Warner was the highest rated QB against the blitz in the league this year....... If the Steeler D can get pressure with 5 guys, they won't have to risk blitzing so much. Grimm will probably have a good blocking scheme for this game though, so I think LeBeau should come up with  some new wrinkles to throw them off. Farrior said they had about 100 defensive play calls available for the AFCC, so I can only imagine that number will grow for the SB.
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #28 on: Jan 20, 2009 at 21:05 »

FWIW, Warner was the highest rated QB against the blitz in the league this year....... If the Steeler D can get pressure with 5 guys, they won't have to risk blitzing so much. Grimm will probably have a good blocking scheme for this game though, so I think LeBeau should come up with  some new wrinkles to throw them off. Farrior said they had about 100 defensive play calls available for the AFCC, so I can only imagine that number will grow for the SB.

5 is a blitz, no?

Also, I'd argue that while he may have been highest rated against the blitz, it wasn't against the Pittsburgh blitz.  He takes a shot or two and he's hearing footsteps all game long.

Really, I'm not concerned about Pittsburgh handling the Cards offense.  I expect them to get into the low 20's.  There's a lot of talent on that side of the ball.  However, what I am concerned with is the Pittsburgh offense being able to keep up.

jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #29 on: Jan 20, 2009 at 21:16 »

Really, I'm not concerned about Pittsburgh handling the Cards offense.  I expect them to get into the low 20's.  There's a lot of talent on that side of the ball.  However, what I am concerned with is the Pittsburgh offense being able to keep up.

The offense put up 16, 13, 16 against the Ravens defense this season.  Scoring twice that against the Cards should be expected.

- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #30 on: Jan 20, 2009 at 21:26 »

To contain Fitz, how about a few shock and awe strikes from the human missile known as Clark?  Sometimes the simple way is best.

- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
steelerfaninCO
Old School Member

« Reply #31 on: Jan 20, 2009 at 21:46 »

5 is a blitz, no?

Also, I'd argue that while he may have been highest rated against the blitz, it wasn't against the Pittsburgh blitz.  He takes a shot or two and he's hearing footsteps all game long.

Ya, 5 is a blitz, but less risky than sending 6 or 7 guys, which I guess I was thinking about. I think it will be risky to bring the house regularly, and I don't think we will see a lot of DB blitz's either. Hopefully the DL and LB's will be just too physical and confusing for the Cards OL. They should be able to stuff the 'Zona rushing attack with the front seven, leaving the secondary to concentrate on coverage.....I do think this D knows that, at least 'round Pittsburgh, their greatness will be measured by their SB performance. All the regular season accomplishments, of which there are many, won't mean much if they come up short in the big game. To even be in the conversation of the greatest defenses(especially Steeler D's), you better have a ring. Hopefully we will see a defensive performance that will culminate a season of uncompromising excellence and elevate this defense into truly rarefied air. 
Manimal

« Reply #32 on: Jan 20, 2009 at 22:08 »

I do think this D knows that, at least 'round Pittsburgh, their greatness will be measured by their SB performance. All the regular season accomplishments, of which there are many, won't mean much if they come up short in the big game. To even be in the conversation of the greatest defenses(especially Steeler D's), you better have a ring. Hopefully we will see a defensive performance that will culminate a season of uncompromising excellence and elevate this defense into truly rarefied air. 

I second that. I expect the Steelers to try to create ways of bringing mostly 4 pass rushers in ways that Warner and the Cards don't expect. A lot of classic zone blitz stuff, especially the kinds of switches that punish receivers coming across the short middle.

The Cards love to throw to Fitzgerald coming across the short middle - his first TD was an example of this. The Eagles failed to bump him at the line effectively and they couldn't contain those crossing routes.

I think the Steelers will focus specifically on taking that away. I expect a few Lawrence Timmons decleaters on Fitz/Bolden/Breaston coming across like that. They will get their completions every now and then - but the Steelers will make the deep stuff very hard to complete and the short stuff in front of Warner really hard on him and the receivers.

Basically, though, how hard the Cardinals make the Steelers work to pressure Warner will be the key factor that determines whether the Cardinals make it a close game. If the Steelers have to consistently rush more guys than they want to, the Cards will hit some big plays downfield. If the Steelers can pressure with 4-man rushes, this will be a blowout of huge proportions.
« Last Edit: Jan 20, 2009 at 22:11 by Manimal » Logged
Pages: 1 2 ... 4 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: