Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Oct 24, 2014 at 02:35 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 ... 4  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: So, how do we contain Fitz?  (Read 2229 times)
Steelerdipwad
Old School Member

« on: Jan 19, 2009 at 07:51 »

Ravens game's over, time to move on. Ike better have a hell of a lot better day in the Super Bowl than he had yesterday.

"Fanatics are picturesque. Mankind would rather see gestures than listen to reason." - Friederich Nietzsche
pensodyssey
Halfsharkalligator halfman.
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #1 on: Jan 19, 2009 at 13:15 »

I'm guessing we're going to play back off the line in this game, daring the Cards to run the ball.  Just an early prediction.  Warner is similar to Collins in that he gets the ball out quickly, the difference being that Warner has an ungodly amount of talent at WR.  Of course, the temptation to blitz is there too; I've seen a lot of Warner on good teams and bad, and once you start getting to him, he'll put the ball on the turf two or three times. 

A shabby Charlie Brown.
OhioU_Stlrs_Fan

« Reply #2 on: Jan 19, 2009 at 15:25 »

This is an easy one, sick the #1 defense after them.

cmon' this is getting old now... Arizona is the flavor of the week. so i consider us like mold, we are just here to ruin that flavor.

just as SD was going to beat us after taking it to indy
just like Balt. was going to beat us after taking it to Tenn
just like Ariz. is after taking it to Phil.

I have all the faith in the world, we were predicted to barley make the playoffs if that, with this schedule, I'm sorry but I've got a feeling that we will shut them down just as we did, TO, Johnson, Johnson, Moss, that doesn't include top TE like Gates and Witten and so forth we have played damn near all the best receivers and have shut them all down. Don't forget kids we are the FASTEST, NASTIEST, MOST BRUTAL, DEFENSE IN THE UNIVERSE. I'm pretty the Steelers D could of invaded Afghanistan with just the starting 11 and found bin laden before the 4pm games.

I Heart The Steelers.

Movie On Repeat (1) - Death Race
Movie On Repeat (2) -Max Payne None
Song On Repeat (1)- Jay Z - Brooklyn We Go Hard
Song On Repeat (2)-Here We Go, Duh its Playoff Time!
Book i cant put down -Dean Koontz - Shadowfires
TX Steelers Fan
N00b

« Reply #3 on: Jan 19, 2009 at 15:37 »

The Card's have a mediocre running game, so that frees up this great defense to concentrate more on Fitz.  Simple.

« Last Edit: Jan 19, 2009 at 15:55 by Robotman » Logged
pensodyssey
Halfsharkalligator halfman.
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #4 on: Jan 19, 2009 at 16:01 »

I'm pretty the Steelers D could of invaded Afghanistan with just the starting 11 and found bin laden before the 4pm games.

Nice.  Overwhelming force.

A shabby Charlie Brown.
vcuram
Brownstains can suck my Member

« Reply #5 on: Jan 19, 2009 at 16:37 »

I think we'll be okay against the Cards pass attack.  In years past, pass defense has been our weakness.  This year we've done a really good job of preventing the big pass plays that usually kill us.

That said, Fitz is the type of player I'd love to have on the Steelers.  Great player and a great kid.

I've thrown a kettle over a pub before.  What the fuck have you ever done?
SCacalaki
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #6 on: Jan 19, 2009 at 17:14 »

Of course, the temptation to blitz is there too; I've seen a lot of Warner on good teams and bad, and once you start getting to him, he'll put the ball on the turf two or three times. 

I too was thinking Warner was a fumbler. 

Words to live by:  "Dick LeBeau is Dick LeBeau," Tomlin said. "Everybody knows Dick."
steelerfaninCO
Old School Member

« Reply #7 on: Jan 19, 2009 at 18:58 »

Larry is a bonafide stud for sure.... The best pass defense is a good pass rush though. The Steelers can rattle Warner by getting in his face and hitting him. The Cards O is about timing, so the DL and LB's have to get to Warner and either make him move in he pocket, or make him hurry throws. Kurt is pretty adept at reading the blitz and hitting the hot read on a slant or something. I think Lebeau has the secondary cover, and tries to stop the run with the front seven.

Of course I'm not a DC, but I would think about doubling Fitz with McFadden and Clark over the top, and give Boldin to Ike, and see if Ike can handle him without too much help from Troy. DeShea or Gay will have Preston, which is about even. But if the double team can limit Fitz, and Ike can limit Boldin, Kurt's options will be limited. The LB's can handle the TE's and RB's. The key will be if the D can get to Warner with rushing 4-5 guys, because bringing the house will be risky as Kurt has torched the blitz this season. Look at what the Gints did to the Pats last year. It can be done, and Warner CAN be rattled. The Cards haven't been a physical war week in and week out like the Steelers, and I just don't think they are going to be ready when Pitt comes out and punches them in the mouth.
give'emthaboot
Old School Member

« Reply #8 on: Jan 19, 2009 at 20:21 »

I'm guessing we're going to play back off the line in this game, daring the Cards to run the ball.  Just an early prediction.  Warner is similar to Collins in that he gets the ball out quickly, the difference being that Warner has an ungodly amount of talent at WR.  Of course, the temptation to blitz is there too; I've seen a lot of Warner on good teams and bad, and once you start getting to him, he'll put the ball on the turf two or three times. 

Getting pressure on Warner is the way to throw his game off.  See Philly's gameplan in the 2nd half.  Lots of Harrison, Woodley and Foote from all angles.  Let Farrior roam the middle of the field, take away the underneath stuff to Fitz & Boldin, limit the YAC that they have been so great at all season.  Have Polamalu shadow Fitz all night, most notably on obvious passing downs.  Those jump balls won't be so easy with Troy in his grill all game.

Fitz is the shit, but I ain't worried.  This defense is outta this fucking world.

I used to really really be a big Boldin fan, but his tantrums yesterday really turned me off of him.  Typical WR diva shit.  Meanwhile, Fitz is jumping around like a kid watching Tim Hightower run for a first down on that game-winning drive..  The guy was just so fucking pumped that his team was on its way to a Super Bowl.  Just awesome. 

'Oh, my, James Harrison is not going to the White House, he must be a devil worshiper!'
Preacherman0
Old School Member

« Reply #9 on: Jan 19, 2009 at 20:42 »

The best pass defense is a good pass rush though.

Actually, I was thinking that the best defense is a good offense.  Since we don't have that, I'm hoping that we can at least come up with a game plan that will be similar to what we did against the Chargers.  Similar defenses--speed, athletes, but not incredibly tough and very beatable.  Hell, even the Panthers moved the ball on them, when they weren't throwing it right to them.  But, we have to control the football, pick up third downs, turn the clock in our favor.

FITZ CAN'T SCORE IF HE IS STANDING ON THE SIDELINES!  At least I don't think he can, but as good as he is, he might figure out a way.

I used to really really be a big Boldin fan, but his tantrums yesterday really turned me off of him.  Typical WR diva shit.  Meanwhile, Fitz is jumping around like a kid watching Tim Hightower run for a first down on that game-winning drive..  The guy was just so fucking pumped that his team was on its way to a Super Bowl.  Just awesome. 

I don't think that Boldin is quite as bad as he looked yesterday.  But, next to Fitzgerald, he may as well be the devil.  Dude is becoming the poster child for what a WR in this league SHOULD be.  He's like Hines Ward with more natural ability.

I don't think we'll play a ton of straight man.  I think we'll see a lot of man/zone combos, and keep Warner guessing as to who is coming and from where.  We aren't an all-out blitz team like the Eagles (although I wouldn't mind bringing the house on occassion).  Flacco didn't complete a single pass when we sent five guys on Sunday.  As good as our pass rush is, five is all we need.  That allows us to use a lot of different coverages and keep him guessing.  Warner clearly gets rattled he gets hit, so if we can deck him a couple of times, we can get the upper hand.

We have traded Christ for the religion of Christianity.
Pages: [1] 2 ... 4  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: