Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Oct 25, 2014 at 05:18 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Was it a TD?  (Read 1730 times)
whitmer_87
Brownstains can suck my Member

« on: Jan 20, 2009 at 01:29 »

It was a fucking TD. Some dude I work with was arguing with me about it today, but there is no way you can consciously make that decision in my opinion. He had two feet down and extended the ball(a football move, no?) and broke the plain. What's the problem? Sure the ball bounced loose after it hit the ground, but it already crossed the plain and he had made a football move. Am I delusional here, or was that just a blown call?

"The duty of the comedian is to find out where the line is drawn, and cross it deliberately."-George Carlin
steelerfaninCO
Old School Member

« Reply #1 on: Jan 20, 2009 at 01:51 »

I personally don't think it was a TD, but not because it wasn't a catch. It was definitely a catch. He had 2 feet down with possession and made a football move. And the ground can't cause a fumble. I just think the ball didn't break the plain before it hit the ground. IMO, the original field call by the ref's was correct, 1st and goal from the 1/2 yard line( more like the 2 inch line). SH takes like 4 steps and OBVIOUSLY dives for the GL by putting his left hand on the ground. The ref's used a bad interpretation of the rule that a receiver falling down while catching the ball has to maintain possession after hitting the ground regardless if he has 2 feet down. Holmes clearly made a football move though, establishing possession, and therefore negating the falling receiver possession rule.
BleedGreen710

« Reply #2 on: Jan 20, 2009 at 05:37 »

The worst part is, you don't even have to make a football move anymore.  That part of the rule has been changed I believe.  There is absolutely no question that they blew that call.  Then you have ol' Nantzy Pants, and Simms talking about how it was the right call....Was anyone listening to Hilgrove and Tunch?  What was their reaction to the reversal?  He literally took 3 steps, had clear possession of the ball, and then dove for the end zone.  If that wasn't a catch, then they changed the requirements for a catch.  Absolutely fucking terrible.  Something needs to be done before next season, because this year, (not just for the Steelers) was atrocious. 

Someone called in to a talk show yesterday and asked how it was possible for these 50 & 60 year old officials to run up and down the field with the best atheletes in the world?  No wonder they miss calls...

"Now that I'm here, I don't want to just be here, I want to be here for a long time." Hines Ward, 1998 3rd round draft pick.
vinman3
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Master of the Obvious

« Reply #3 on: Jan 20, 2009 at 06:20 »

The old officials didn't miss the call on the field. The spot was correct IMO. Where they blew it was the replay. SH took at least 2.5 steps and definitely made a football move diving toward the end zone. Fortunately, in spite of the very poor officiating (on both sides, but mostly toward the Ratbird side), the Steelers made it to the Super Bowl.

It's a hot night. The mind races. You think about your knife; the only friend who hasn't betrayed you, the only friend who won't be dead by sun up. Sleep tight, mates, in your quilted Chambray nightshirts.
Preacherman0
Old School Member

« Reply #4 on: Jan 20, 2009 at 07:26 »

SH took at least 2.5 steps and definitely made a football move diving toward the end zone.

That's exactly what I was thinking.  The missus said they got it right.  I said, "How can you catch the ball, take three steps, and dive towards the goal line and call it an incomplete pass?" 

I'll betcha they would have called it a fumble if the ball had bounced away from him.  According to this definition, I'm not sure Willis McGahee (sp?) fumble wasn't an incomplete pass.  Luckily, Harbaugh had blown all his challenges.

We have traded Christ for the religion of Christianity.
Captain Chaos
Old School Member

Underachieving Member

« Reply #5 on: Jan 20, 2009 at 07:39 »

I agree with most everyone else. The initial call on the field was correct. When SH dove forward, the ball hits the ground before it breaks the plane, giving the Steelers a 1st down on the 1/2 yard line. I don't think there should have been any question as to it being a catch or not. He clearly had possession of the ball, took two or three steps and then dove forward.

Just one man's opinion.

"It's a big game because it's the next game." - Mike Tomlin
Big Virgil
Old School Member

« Reply #6 on: Jan 20, 2009 at 07:58 »

Maybe he'll think about hanging on to the ball next time. 

I appreciate the effort trying to get a TD, but I hate how players score TD's or finish a running play and don't have the ball.  I'm sure I'm in the minority on this one, like end zone celebration crap.

Looks like you've been missing a lot of work lately.
I wouldn't say I've been *missing* it, Bob.
msdmnr2002
Old School Member

« Reply #7 on: Jan 20, 2009 at 08:28 »

Funny part is listening to Simms change his mind multiple times during the replays.  I actually missed this play - was driving back from son's hockey game to hotel, missed about 10 minutes of the game.  First time I've seen this one.  they called that incomplete?  On replay?  Absurd.  Had possession, total control until he dove for the end zone.  Knees never touched.  Either TD catch, or, if you want to say the ball was coming out of his hand while stretching for end zone, catch, fumble, recovered by Holmes, TD. 
Joetorious

« Reply #8 on: Jan 20, 2009 at 08:40 »

It was definitely a catch and I'm almost certain it was a TD, but when they said Tomlin had pulled out the red flag, I thought to myself "Tomlin - don't be greedy. The refs very well could review this thing and say not only did he not score, but he also never had possession."

I think the League was trying to give the Gavens a makeup call for the controversial Santonio TD in the previous matchup between the two teams.

Tell 'em...Large Marge sent ya! Bwhahahaha
leighclay
Old School Member

« Reply #9 on: Jan 20, 2009 at 09:21 »

I think the League was trying to give the Gavens a makeup call for the controversial Santonio TD in the previous matchup between the two teams.

That was my thought exactly.  Make-up calls suck, unlike make-up sex.

I'm still the one with the boobs.
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: