Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Apr 17, 2014 at 08:37 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: You're Ben, one second left in SB XLIII, you need a TD, we're at the Cards 25...  (Read 1734 times)
Steelerdipwad
Old School Member

« on: Jan 20, 2009 at 11:43 »

And the only receiver open in the end zone is Sweed, do you throw it to him, or wait to see if Miller or Ward breaks open?

"Fanatics are picturesque. Mankind would rather see gestures than listen to reason." - Friederich Nietzsche
whitmer_87
Brownstains can suck my Member

« Reply #1 on: Jan 20, 2009 at 11:46 »

I'd have more confidence in Starks blocking on my blindside than I would Sweed catching a crucial pass...

"The duty of the comedian is to find out where the line is drawn, and cross it deliberately."-George Carlin
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #2 on: Jan 20, 2009 at 11:54 »

I might throw it to Sweed, if this were XB XLV.

Otherwise, keep moving, direct traffic, make magic.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
otismalibu
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #3 on: Jan 20, 2009 at 11:56 »

It seems Ben usually throws to the dude that's open...doesn't matter his #.

Unlike Kordell, who would lock in on Hines because he was the only guy that might catch the ball in the dirt behind him.

aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #4 on: Jan 20, 2009 at 12:59 »

I'm surprised Sweed was able to walk off under his own power after that drop.  A shattered ego is a serious injury that's apparently cured with a bone jarring crack back block.

The dude's just tryin' to hard.

BTW...WTF happened to Baker?  Thought he was ahead of him on the depth chart?  Did I miss somethin'?  He IR'd?

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #5 on: Jan 20, 2009 at 13:03 »

IIRC Baker was pressed into duty mid-season, coaches didn't like what they saw, and on the basis of one bad game he was gone.

Sweed's making Baker look like the model of consistency, but whatever.  I'll give the rook a chance.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
Preacherman0
Old School Member

« Reply #6 on: Jan 20, 2009 at 13:11 »

A shattered ego is a serious injury that's apparently cured with a bone jarring crack back block.

I give Tomlin a lot of credit for that.  After the play, he was up in Sweed's face, with his back turned so that no one could see what he was saying to Sweed.  I'm guessing there were a couple of things:

1.  You can't drop that ball.

2.  You can't lay on the ground with an injured ego in the last two minutes because you cost us a valuable time out.

3.  You have to quit your crying cause we need you to go out there and play.

I also credit Tomlin for giving FWP the ball on the next offensive play after the fumble, and for going back to Sweed in the EZ later in the game.  Sweed made a great play to break up that pick, cause the game is completely different if we don't get 3 on that drive.

We have traded Christ for the religion of Christianity.
vinman3
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Master of the Obvious

« Reply #7 on: Jan 20, 2009 at 13:16 »

Why were the Steelers forced to use the TO? It was an incomplete pass, clock stops anyways. I can see if the play was live, and the clock is running and an injury occurs, having the mandatory TO being assessed. Guess I just never saw the TO used on a dead ball with the clock stopped.

I do get it is a rule. Just don't remember it being applied in that type of scenario.

It's a hot night. The mind races. You think about your knife; the only friend who hasn't betrayed you, the only friend who won't be dead by sun up. Sleep tight, mates, in your quilted Chambray nightshirts.
Merman1983
Old School Member

Master of the figure-four leglock

« Reply #8 on: Jan 20, 2009 at 16:34 »

A shattered ego is a serious injury that's apparently cured with a bone jarring crack back block.

I give Tomlin a lot of credit for that.  After the play, he was up in Sweed's face, with his back turned so that no one could see what he was saying to Sweed.  I'm guessing there were a couple of things:

1.  You can't drop that ball.

2.  You can't lay on the ground with an injured ego in the last two minutes because you cost us a valuable time out.

3.  You have to quit your crying cause we need you to go out there and play.

I also credit Tomlin for giving FWP the ball on the next offensive play after the fumble, and for going back to Sweed in the EZ later in the game.  Sweed made a great play to break up that pick, cause the game is completely different if we don't get 3 on that drive.

No excuse for him laying there like a gigantic vagina, but I gotta give the guy some credit. He came back and made a monster block, converted a 3rd down, and broke up that int in the end zone.

Doesn't make up for dropping the bomb, but at least the guy didn't curl up in the fetal position the whole second half.
OhioU_Stlrs_Fan

« Reply #9 on: Jan 21, 2009 at 13:19 »

wasnt it not too long ago we were saying this about Nate Washington? Give the kid a break, he is a rookie getting a chance to play is the biggest game of the season (the that current moment). Its nerves. I praise him for instead of letting that be it and pack it in, he came back, killed a man blocking without being arrested and broke up a sure interception on a very poorly thrown End Zone pass by BR. Lets look at positives, way to late in the season to dwell on the negatives, we got 6 months after feb. 1 to do that! Guys we only got one game to go! I dunno if i can take the anticipation! GO STEELERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! yeh helmet yeh

I Heart The Steelers.

Movie On Repeat (1) - Death Race
Movie On Repeat (2) -Max Payne None
Song On Repeat (1)- Jay Z - Brooklyn We Go Hard
Song On Repeat (2)-Here We Go, Duh its Playoff Time!
Book i cant put down -Dean Koontz - Shadowfires
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: