Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Apr 23, 2014 at 22:22 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 [4]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: So, how do we contain Fitz?  (Read 1897 times)
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #30 on: Jan 20, 2009 at 21:26 »

To contain Fitz, how about a few shock and awe strikes from the human missile known as Clark?  Sometimes the simple way is best.

"I like David Bowie, he was always my favorite member of Tin Machine."
- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
steelerfaninCO
Old School Member

« Reply #31 on: Jan 20, 2009 at 21:46 »

Blitz the statue...relentlessly .

FWIW, Warner was the highest rated QB against the blitz in the league this year....... If the Steeler D can get pressure with 5 guys, they won't have to risk blitzing so much. Grimm will probably have a good blocking scheme for this game though, so I think LeBeau should come up with  some new wrinkles to throw them off. Farrior said they had about 100 defensive play calls available for the AFCC, so I can only imagine that number will grow for the SB.

5 is a blitz, no?

Also, I'd argue that while he may have been highest rated against the blitz, it wasn't against the Pittsburgh blitz.  He takes a shot or two and he's hearing footsteps all game long.

Really, I'm not concerned about Pittsburgh handling the Cards offense.  I expect them to get into the low 20's.  There's a lot of talent on that side of the ball.  However, what I am concerned with is the Pittsburgh offense being able to keep up.

Ya, 5 is a blitz, but less risky than sending 6 or 7 guys, which I guess I was thinking about. I think it will be risky to bring the house regularly, and I don't think we will see a lot of DB blitz's either. Hopefully the DL and LB's will be just too physical and confusing for the Cards OL. They should be able to stuff the 'Zona rushing attack with the front seven, leaving the secondary to concentrate on coverage.....I do think this D knows that, at least 'round Pittsburgh, their greatness will be measured by their SB performance. All the regular season accomplishments, of which there are many, won't mean much if they come up short in the big game. To even be in the conversation of the greatest defenses(especially Steeler D's), you better have a ring. Hopefully we will see a defensive performance that will culminate a season of uncompromising excellence and elevate this defense into truly rarefied air. 

KTBFFH
Manimal
Brownstains can suck my Member

« Reply #32 on: Jan 20, 2009 at 22:08 »

I do think this D knows that, at least 'round Pittsburgh, their greatness will be measured by their SB performance. All the regular season accomplishments, of which there are many, won't mean much if they come up short in the big game. To even be in the conversation of the greatest defenses(especially Steeler D's), you better have a ring. Hopefully we will see a defensive performance that will culminate a season of uncompromising excellence and elevate this defense into truly rarefied air. 

I second that. I expect the Steelers to try to create ways of bringing mostly 4 pass rushers in ways that Warner and the Cards don't expect. A lot of classic zone blitz stuff, especially the kinds of switches that punish receivers coming across the short middle.

The Cards love to throw to Fitzgerald coming across the short middle - his first TD was an example of this. The Eagles failed to bump him at the line effectively and they couldn't contain those crossing routes.

I think the Steelers will focus specifically on taking that away. I expect a few Lawrence Timmons decleaters on Fitz/Bolden/Breaston coming across like that. They will get their completions every now and then - but the Steelers will make the deep stuff very hard to complete and the short stuff in front of Warner really hard on him and the receivers.

Basically, though, how hard the Cardinals make the Steelers work to pressure Warner will be the key factor that determines whether the Cardinals make it a close game. If the Steelers have to consistently rush more guys than they want to, the Cards will hit some big plays downfield. If the Steelers can pressure with 4-man rushes, this will be a blowout of huge proportions.
« Last Edit: Jan 20, 2009 at 22:11 by Manimal » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 3 [4]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: