Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Nov 27, 2014 at 11:28 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 [4] 5 ... 16   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: SUPER BOWL XLIII - 2.1.09 - Steelers @ Cardinals  (Read 12812 times)
JackSplat
Jerk Store Proprietor
Old School Member

« Reply #30 on: Jan 26, 2009 at 23:16 »

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/football/nfl/super-bowl/01/22/nbc.ap/index.html

Wonder if the Walrus will use this as another chance to bring up the officiating in XL. I'm sure his head is swelling at the thought. Or maybe his head is just swelling...

OMG it would be awesome if NBC makes that fat doucher a Steeler correspondant for the day.

Jerry, it's Frank Costanza, Mr.
Steinbrenner is here, George is dead, call me back!
Preacherman0
Old School Member

« Reply #31 on: Jan 27, 2009 at 07:43 »

A concern:

I keep hearing a lot about Ben's desire to prove that XL wasn't a fluke, to play much better in this game.  He talked about how he felt like he didn't help his team win in his first SB.

Wanting to play well can keep you focused, but it can also make you very nervous and tight.  As I've said, I hope that Ben will be FOCUSED because he seems to play very poorly when he's pressing.

We have traded Christ for the religion of Christianity.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #32 on: Jan 27, 2009 at 08:56 »

Not to put a damper on things, but the world is gonna end on 12.21.12...  Man, I am seriously bummed about this shit.

This means we can only get to 8 Super Bowl wins.

Fuck.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #33 on: Jan 27, 2009 at 09:44 »

So, what the catch phrase?

"One hand's done.  Let's get #6 for the other one?"

That's all I've got ATM.

I'm sure others have seen it this AM, but USA Today talks about the Steelers run at a "Six Pack."

Kinda like that term.

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
steelerfaninCO
Old School Member

« Reply #34 on: Jan 27, 2009 at 10:17 »

There's "Six for the other index" as well.
Preacherman0
Old School Member

« Reply #35 on: Jan 27, 2009 at 10:50 »

I'm sure others have seen it this AM, but USA Today talks about the Steelers run at a "Six Pack."

Kinda like that term.

Saw that in the P-G this morning.  I like it, very Pittsburgh!

We have traded Christ for the religion of Christianity.
The Emperor
Brownstains can suck my Member

« Reply #36 on: Jan 27, 2009 at 19:19 »

Steelers 35 Cards 14.  Ben 24-30 310 yds and 3 TDs ( Ward, Miller and Holmes)1 int.  Parker 28 carries for 120 and a TD.
D 5 sacks 2 forced fumbles and 3 Ints 1 for a TD by Troy.  Troy gets 2 Ints and a sack and #43 is MVP of SB 43.

Cards Warner 28-40 for 275 Yds and 2 Tds( Fitz and Bolden) and 3 picks. Edge 60 Yds Rushing and a fumble.   

Here we go STEELERS!

Life is to short to root for a losing team!
Manimal
Brownstains can suck my Member

« Reply #37 on: Jan 27, 2009 at 21:17 »

A concern:

I keep hearing a lot about Ben's desire to prove that XL wasn't a fluke, to play much better in this game.  He talked about how he felt like he didn't help his team win in his first SB.

Wanting to play well can keep you focused, but it can also make you very nervous and tight.  As I've said, I hope that Ben will be FOCUSED because he seems to play very poorly when he's pressing.

I agree. But I think in these playoffs he's also reacting to his performance against Jacknsonville last year, and I think Ben has learned that he can be patient -- he can throw the ball away when he needs to, he can check it down, too. He's done those things very well. Of course, he knows he can afford to be patient with this defense that's got his back. I think he'll be fine, but I agree with you.
Steelerdipwad
Old School Member

« Reply #38 on: Jan 28, 2009 at 09:40 »

My buddy's prediction from another board:

Warner's wife runs onto the field at some point in the third quarter frantic after Casey Hampton teabags Kurt Warner following the fifth sack of the aged QB. He limps off the field, stinking of nose tackle nuts and weeps to himself on the sidelines. Steelers find a way to run, and grind it out. I don't predict scores by the Steelers win by 13.

"Fanatics are picturesque. Mankind would rather see gestures than listen to reason." - Friederich Nietzsche
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #39 on: Jan 28, 2009 at 20:35 »

OK.

I've watched a few more pre-game shows, Playbook breakdowns and replays of some Cards games from this past year and there are a few things that I'd just like to throw out there.

Quote from: aj_law
Blitz the statue, relentlessly

I had mentioned this earlier last week on another thread and at this point, I'd like to pull a total 180.  I think Pittsburgh should do very little blitzing in this one.  A few timed blitzes here and there, but that's it.  Sure, they might look like they're gonna bring the house by having like 6 or 7 on the LOS, but it should serve only to confuse.  Give 'em the look, but drop back at the last second.  Almost all of the Cards' big plays came on plays where the opposition blitzed, Warner checked to a hot read and dumped it quickly.  Then, his playmakers took over and turned those quick decisions into big plays. 

Compare that to those situations where the defense forced Warner to hold the ball longer; to maneuver in the pocket; to have to find an open receiver.  In those instances, he struggled, big time.  The longer that internal clock ticked, the happier those feet got which resulted in poor decisions.

In conjunction with that, Pittsburgh needs to do their best at collapsing the pocket up the middle.  Edge rushes didn't seem to faze Warner as much.  He usually was able to step up and quickly unload.  However, when guys got up in his face and the pocket was compromised, he was extremely ineffective.  If that means moving guys like Woodley or Harrison up inside on the line somewhere between the tackles to mix things up, so be it.

To really counteract their attack, I might even scrap the base D altogether and play give 'em a nickel look most of the game.  Slide Woodley down onto the end, with Harrison and Timmons roaming the middle and five DBs playing behind.  Try to get as much pressure with 4 and an occasional 5 and force Arizona to beat 'em on the ground. 

Long and short of it, keep the ball in Warner's hands and out of their playmaker's hands as long as possible.  Make them press and force the issue resulting in a mistake or two.

One other thing that I noticed, not only does Warner do a good job of getting rid of it quickly, but he also does a very good job of looking defenders off.  At the snap, he'll stare down the SE only to quickly turn and dump it off to the opposite side of the field.  That's the kind of thing that can really neutralize a swarming D like Pittsburgh's that has guys that are constantly reading the QBs eyes and "cheating" one way or another.

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
Pages: 1 ... 3 [4] 5 ... 16   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: