Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Aug 28, 2014 at 02:13 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 ... 16   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: SUPER BOWL XLIII - 2.1.09 - Steelers @ Cardinals  (Read 12136 times)
Preacherman0
Old School Member

« Reply #10 on: Jan 22, 2009 at 07:27 »

I wish ESPN would just SHUT UP about the whole Anquan Boldin thing.  It was bad but I find it hard to believe it's going to become any major "distraction" to the team.  Let it go!

This game is going to come down to our offense vs. their defense.  They will score some points, even against our defense.  Question is, can we score enough and control the ball long enough to keep it from being a habit?  If our offense can play well and NOT TURN THE BALL OVER, I believe that our defense will have a chance to ice the game with a big play.

The Cards put up 41 vs. Buffalo, 29 vs. the Giants, 31 vs. the Dolphins, 20 and 32 vs. the Eagles.  Now, those are not our defense, but they are pretty good defenses.  I think our defense is historically great, but I still believe Warner and Fitz will score some points.  OUR offense needs to bring something akin to the Chargers game.  I think the Cardinals defense is similar to the Chargers, maybe not as good, and there should be no reason why we can't execute against them.

One of the big things that we have to do is learn to step on the neck of the opponent when we've got them down.  Did a great job of it in the divisional round, but we did a horrible job of it last week.  We can't afford dropped passes or clock mismanagement or playing bullfighter at left tackle.  We all know that Arians is eventually going to pull out some stupidity like empty set on 3rd and 1; so, when he stumbles into the correct call, these guys must deliver the goods.

I want to see some killer instinct on offense to make life a lot easier on this defense.  They've been pulling our butts out of the fire all year, it's time for the other side to come up big.

We have traded Christ for the religion of Christianity.
Steelerdipwad
Old School Member

« Reply #11 on: Jan 22, 2009 at 07:46 »

I think the media is missing the boat here. Maybe I'm delusional, but they seem to think that it's a battle of our corner backs against Fitzgerald and Boldin, and a matter of "can Warner get rid of the ball quickly enough to avoid the blitz". That's a very narrow view of the game. They think that Whiz will have a plan to attack our defense, okay, I agree. But in the immortal words of Mike Tyson, everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth. This is the most violent group of defenders I've seen since the 2000 Ravens and '85 Bears. They beat the piss out of people when they tackle them. I see the Cards getting a couple TD's, I don't see them putting up four or five like some people seem to think. And our offense is certainly capable of putting 30 points on this defense. I hate being this optimistic, but I just think 'Zona is gonna come in here thinking they are going to run though sunny danelion fields, and they are heading for a Mogadishu, burning tires, twisted metal, bombs going off. Good night. angry4

"Fanatics are picturesque. Mankind would rather see gestures than listen to reason." - Friederich Nietzsche
otismalibu
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #12 on: Jan 22, 2009 at 08:18 »

We need a couple of clock eating TD drives, which means FWP needs to roll over the century mark.

Then maybe a Warner fumble or two and take advantage of a short field.

And don't give them a short field. This ain't Flacco.

What I'm most excited about is seeing Berger punt in warm weather. I smell a 40 yarder!
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #13 on: Jan 22, 2009 at 09:15 »

I see the Cards getting a couple TD's, I don't see them putting up four or five like some people seem to think. And our offense is certainly capable of putting 30 points on this defense. I hate being this optimistic, but I just think 'Zona is gonna come in here thinking they are going to run though sunny danelion fields, and they are heading for a Mogadishu, burning tires, twisted metal, bombs going off. Good night. angry4

That's how I see it.  If the Steelers offense can average over 14pts in 3 games against the Ravens, they'll more likely than not hang 30 on the Cards.  The defense will be able to contain any running game w/out over committing so there should be plenty of DBs and LBs to cover.  They need to rag doll a few WRs and get in Krunt Wurmer's kitchen early, but don't sell out to do it.

Really, the only thing that worries me about AZ is the trick-play TD or some screen breaking big.

The offense needs to establish the run and dominate the clock.  Just play Steeler football and beat the shit outta those guys.

"I like David Bowie, he was always my favorite member of Tin Machine."
- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
Preacherman0
Old School Member

« Reply #14 on: Jan 22, 2009 at 10:22 »

Honestly, no matter what Whiz or Grimm or Edge or any of the Steelers West members say to them, I just have a feeling that these offensive guys have no clue what is about to hit them.  It's not just the hitting...it's the physicality PLUS the speed that this team brings.  I specifically recall a play on Sunday where McGahee cut inside of James Harrison, and I thought, "Uh-oh, he left a big gap!"  Next thing I know, Harrison cuts back inside and absolutely nails Willis...put the facemask right in the numbers, turned him sideways, and snapped his head back.  I just couldn't believe the quickness and the ferocity that combined in that play.

I don't think we'll play them any different because of their newly-discovered rushing attack.  I think we'll concede rushing yards to shut down the big play and prevent them from getting trick stuff over on us.  Even if they run it on us some, I don't think they'll beat us with that.  NE got rushing yards on us, but we knew that the key was to shut down the big-play passing game. 

As for this defense, if we can't move the ball on them then we don't deserve to win.  They finished 19th in total defense, and didn't exactly face a list of offensive juggernauts.   

aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #15 on: Jan 22, 2009 at 10:47 »

As I mentioned on one of the threads in the Steelers section, this Cards team reminds me a lot of the Colts teams from a few years ago.  You know what you're gettin' from their offense, but their defense is up and down.  Fortunately for them, kinda like the Colts in '06, they're up at the right time.

Give them credit.  They stuffed two of thee best ground games in the league in Atlanta and Carolina, one of them on the road where they also contained a very dangerous McNabb and Westbrook attack.

Here's the thing though, as bad and inconsistent as Pittsburgh's offense has been, it's a balanced attack.  Arizona isn't going to be able to sell out to stop the run or the pass.  If Whiz decides he's going to force Ben to beat them, he can do it.  If he decides that he'll let WP run wild as long as he keeps Ben contained in the pocket and eliminates the big play, FWP can do it.  The Cardinals are going to have to make a complete defensive effort to keep Pittsburgh in check.  The odds of that happening are definitely in the Steelers favor.  Arians does help to tip that the Cards' way a bit though.

Again, right now, I see this one being a lot closer than it should be.  Not a shootout, but a mini-shootout.  I think Pittsburgh has to score around 30 to win because I just don't see them holding Arizona's offense to less than 20-24.  I'm confident the offense has the talent and ability to put up 30+, but can Arians orchestrate it?  Brazillion dollar question.

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
Steelerdipwad
Old School Member

« Reply #16 on: Jan 22, 2009 at 11:18 »

Again, right now, I see this one being a lot closer than it should be.  Not a shootout, but a mini-shootout.  I think Pittsburgh has to score around 30 to win because I just don't see them holding Arizona's offense to less than 20-24.  I'm confident the offense has the talent and ability to put up 30+, but can Arians orchestrate it?  Brazillion dollar question.

I don't really expect a shootout either. The last 4 games 'Zona has played after the bye or to open a season, situations which give defensive coordinators a little time to prepare, they haven't scored more than 23. That was against Tampa, SF twice, and Carolina. They only averaged 18 points in those games. I think their passing game is so dependent on timing and surprise, that the two week layoff really helps. I can see a game in which we hold them to 17. 

"Fanatics are picturesque. Mankind would rather see gestures than listen to reason." - Friederich Nietzsche
Preacherman0
Old School Member

« Reply #17 on: Jan 22, 2009 at 12:45 »

The extra week works in our favor, first because we get Hines healthy, and second because it gives the Cards a "cooling off" period. 

All the evidence says that we should blow this team out, but evidence hasn't exactly come into play in the last few Super Bowls.

Manimal
Brownstains can suck my Member

« Reply #18 on: Jan 23, 2009 at 08:39 »

The extra week works in our favor, first because we get Hines healthy, and second because it gives the Cards a "cooling off" period. 

All the evidence says that we should blow this team out, but evidence hasn't exactly come into play in the last few Super Bowls.

Good point. There's something about the surreal corporate Disneyscape that makes the Super Bowl turn into weird games.

On paper, several recent Super Bowls should have been blowouts:
Rams over Pats
Pats over Panthers
Steelers over Seahawks
Colts over Bears
Pats over Giants

But I think the Super Bowl is due for another blowout. The Cards don't belong on the same field as the Steelers, frankly. (I'm grateful the line isn't double digits, though it should be.)
Merman1983
Old School Member

Master of the figure-four leglock

« Reply #19 on: Jan 24, 2009 at 13:46 »

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/football/nfl/super-bowl/01/22/nbc.ap/index.html

Wonder if the Walrus will use this as another chance to bring up the officiating in XL. I'm sure his head is swelling at the thought. Or maybe his head is just swelling...
Pages: 1 [2] 3 ... 16   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: