Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Apr 23, 2014 at 20:32 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Article praising Ben - Wilbon  (Read 738 times)
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« on: Jan 23, 2009 at 13:41 »

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/01/19/AR2009011900016.html?hpid=topnews&sub=AR&sid=ST2009011900035&s_pos

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #1 on: Jan 23, 2009 at 13:53 »

Unlike PTI mate Kornheiser, whom I love for his humor but not his football acumen, Willy Buns has been singing the praises of the Steelers all year, and of Ben as well.  Korny gets sucked into the glitz and glam, the Cowboys and Romo, most notably, and Peter "Puffer" King will just slurp whoever's hot this week (which means, natch, he likes the Cards!).  But Wilbon is actually a pretty sharp guy, and I enjoy his analysis.

Quote from: Wilbon
The first thing he did was avoid being picked off. Second, he found Santonio Holmes for a 65-yard touchdown on a broken play, the kind that would have people writing love songs about Brady.

Pretty funny, and absolutely true.

Quote from: Wilbon
You want to know what quarterbacks in modern history (since 1950) have been better than Roethlisberger through five seasons? None. Nobody. Not Joe Willie Namath, not Joe Montana, nobody. Big Ben is the only quarterback to win 51 games his first five seasons. That's three victories better than Otto Graham, Dan Marino, Tom Brady and John Elway. If I had to win a game to save my own life I'd take Roethlisberger over everybody who played in the NFL this season, and that includes everybody named Manning. It's difficult to understand why the praise is so grudging.

*Sniff*

I love you, man!

Willy is one of us!

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #2 on: Jan 23, 2009 at 14:28 »

Great article and I liked this quote in particular:

Eli Manning might miss Plaxico Burress, but Big Ben doesn't.

"I like David Bowie, he was always my favorite member of Tin Machine."
- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
Preacherman0
Old School Member

« Reply #3 on: Jan 24, 2009 at 09:44 »

After watching NFL replay last night, I'll add something to the Big Ben Greatness Theory.

We can't catch the football.

In fact, outside of Hines, Heat, and MM, I'd say that our receiving corps would struggle to catch a cold.

Nate dropped one--tough catch, but he should have had it.  Perfectly placed where only he could get it, and he couldn't pull it down.

FWP--well, need I say more?  He's going for big yardage if he just catches the ball.  They say more FWP in the SB; I say more MM.

Sweed--obviously.

SanAntonio--still think it was a catch but no excuse for letting it get away.

There were a couple more that I can't recall.  But if we just catch the ones we should, beyond even the tough ones, Ben is 20-33 for 330 yards (maybe more), and we win that game going away.

We HAVE to deliver on offense next Sunday.  Ben deserves better than what he has gotten this season.

We have traded Christ for the religion of Christianity.
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #4 on: Jan 25, 2009 at 18:57 »

We HAVE to deliver on offense next Sunday.  Ben deserves better than what he has gotten this season.

Win it for Big Ben!

"I like David Bowie, he was always my favorite member of Tin Machine."
- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
leighclay
Old School Member

« Reply #5 on: Jan 25, 2009 at 20:25 »

Win it for Big Ben!

No shit!
He deserves it for being called a "game manager" his entire career!!

I'm still the one with the boobs.
JackSplat
Jerk Store Proprietor
Old School Member

« Reply #6 on: Jan 25, 2009 at 20:55 »

SanAntonio--still think it was a catch but no excuse for letting it get away.

I agree it was a catch as well.  I watch a good portion of the superbowl marathon on the 212, and there were countless catches with immediate fumbles, that looked very iffy in the catch department. 

All i kept on thinking every time i saw one, was why in the heck was Santonio's ruled incomplete?  Any other time thats ruled a catch and a fumble.

Jerry, it's Frank Costanza, Mr.
Steinbrenner is here, George is dead, call me back!
Big Virgil
Old School Member

« Reply #7 on: Jan 26, 2009 at 07:41 »

I watched the AFCC game on Saturday evening (recorded on my DVR) and it was amazing how many catchable balls were dropped.  There were a handfull of throws behind the receivers or in the dirt.

Holmes' "drop" at the goal line and FWP's doink off the shoulder pad were on the same drive, so they had more than ample opportunities for a TD there.  Sweed is Sweed. 

Looks like you've been missing a lot of work lately.
I wouldn't say I've been *missing* it, Bob.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: