Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Oct 24, 2014 at 03:14 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The difference in Arizona regular season versus post season  (Read 1161 times)
Steelerdipwad
Old School Member

« Reply #10 on: Jan 22, 2009 at 14:14 »

And never underestimate how much of a dumbass Arians can be.

Yes, Bruce.  Let's run it up the gut, into the teeth of the Ravens' D, one more time.  That's worked brilliantly.

No doubt. Let's run at Ngata and Darnell Dockett, because nobody will ever suspect that we'd be stupid enough to try that, so it might just work....uhhhh.

"Fanatics are picturesque. Mankind would rather see gestures than listen to reason." - Friederich Nietzsche
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #11 on: Jan 22, 2009 at 15:06 »

IIRC, Dockett had a fucking field day against us last year...

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
Manimal
Brownstains can suck my Member

« Reply #12 on: Jan 22, 2009 at 15:30 »

I agree with Preacherman.

This Cardinals team reminds me of the Patriots team we whooped. The Patriots brought a great passing game featuring one all-time great WR, another very good one, no running game, and a defense with some talent, especially on the defensive line.

We're going to make them one dimensional and then we're going to be in a great position to force Kurt Warner to make mistakes.

I do think that the key to whether we win this comfortably or they make it close or possibly beat us will actually be how well our offense plays against their defense. And on offense we are very, very streaky. Against a Chargers defense that isn't anything special, we were bottled up for most of the first half, and, let's face it, benefitted from some lucky bounces and tips to make the 3rd quarter a laugher. That's worrisome.

I think our offense is basically an average, and possibly below-average, overall unit that just happens to make big plays and, usually, avoid turnovers.
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #13 on: Jan 23, 2009 at 09:08 »

One other thing to note besides simply looking at the difference in turnover differential in the regular season vs. post season...

Arizona has managed to do something that young teams usually aren't very good at doing - flipping the switch when necessary.  Remember, they didn't have anything to play for after Week 14.  As soon as the playoffs started, they ramped it back up again.

The team we saw down the stretch after they clinched was a very different team than the one we saw prior to that.  I think if people are going to look at regular season statistics, I think they should focus solely on the numbers the team put up before they clinched and then once the playoffs started.

One other note is Roethelisberger's terrible performances against NFC teams this year.  Yeah, it was only the NFCE, but even against the shit kickin' Skins, he was awful.  Just sayin'.

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
Preacherman0
Old School Member

« Reply #14 on: Jan 23, 2009 at 09:45 »

One other note is Roethelisberger's terrible performances against NFC teams this year.  Yeah, it was only the NFCE, but even against the shit kickin' Skins, he was awful.  Just sayin'.

Really, what possible explanation could there be for that?  Does Arians just not know how to gameplan for teams he's never seen?  Entirely possible...

And I never, NEVER underestimate the stupidity of Bruce Arians.  I'm not sure it's possible to have a lower opinion of him than I do.

At the same time, I also never underestimate Big Ben.  He has found ways to overcome this man's stupidity and our oline's ineptitude all season, and I believe he will do it again.

We have traded Christ for the religion of Christianity.
Steelerdipwad
Old School Member

« Reply #15 on: Jan 23, 2009 at 10:06 »

Arizona has managed to do something that young teams usually aren't very good at doing - flipping the switch when necessary.  Remember, they didn't have anything to play for after Week 14.  As soon as the playoffs started, they ramped it back up again.

The team we saw down the stretch after they clinched was a very different team than the one we saw prior to that.  I think if people are going to look at regular season statistics, I think they should focus solely on the numbers the team put up before they clinched

Before they clinched, they were 7-6, having beaten SF twice, Miami, Buffalo, Dallas, Seattle, and St Louis. So, yeah, the numbers they put up were pretty good. Truth is, there is just no way to put their regular season in a positive light. Yes, their passing game was good all year, but the other phases of their team was poor. There's just no explaining their miraculous turnaround in the post season. Strangest thing I've ever seen in the NFL. 

"Fanatics are picturesque. Mankind would rather see gestures than listen to reason." - Friederich Nietzsche
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #16 on: Jan 23, 2009 at 10:22 »

And I never, NEVER underestimate the stupidity of Bruce Arians.  I'm not sure it's possible to have a lower opinion of him than I do.

Wanna bet?

aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #17 on: Jan 23, 2009 at 10:44 »

The team we saw down the stretch after they clinched was a very different team than the one we saw prior to that.  I think if people are going to look at regular season statistics, I think they should focus solely on the numbers the team put up before they clinched

Before they clinched, they were 7-6, having beaten SF twice, Miami, Buffalo, Dallas, Seattle, and St Louis.  

Not to nitpick, but they beat St. Louie twice to give them an 8-5 record when they clinched.

Yeah, it's not exactly the murderer's row of games that Pittsburgh faced, but they beat who was on the schedule to clinch, then they shut it down, going 1-2 over their last 3.

Again, as I mentioned in another thread that I can't find ATM, I think their big turnaround in the post season has everything to do with good gameplanning and the fortune of playing teams that are pretty one dimensional. 

As good as Ryan was for the Falcs this year, puttin it on his shoulders and asking him to win his first playoff game is a tough task.  That's pretty much what Arizona did.  They sold out to stop the run.

After that first drive against the Panthers, they did the same thing to them.  They dared, baited Delhomme to throw the ball.  He did and made several critical mistakes.  That took the ground game completely out of the plan, they became one-dimensional and it snowballed.

They did basically the same thing against Philly.  They made sure that BWest wasn't going to have a big day and they put it on McNabb to beat 'em.  Philly was sorta forced into that anyway after falling behind early.  Mistakes hurt again, but as many as they made, McNabb still had several opportunities to pull it out.  He just fell short.

That's why I think Pittsburgh has an edge, offensively (as compared to their previous opponents), in this game.  They've been inconsistent; they've sputtered; but, they have the ability to kill you on the ground or through the air.  Arizona isn't going to be able to sell out to stop one or the other.  They're going to have to play a balanced defensive game to stop Pittsburgh.  And frankly, I don't think they have the ability to do that, but it doesn't mean it can't (obv).

There are a few, fairly obvious things that could throw things really outta wack and make life difficult for the Steelers though: 

(1) Arizona gets up early - negates the effectiveness of the ground game.  This scenario would obviously have Ben slinging it 30+ times.
(2) Turnovers that may or may not lead to (1).
(3) Arians shows up in Tampa with his head still stuck up his ass. 

Preacherman0
Old School Member

« Reply #18 on: Jan 23, 2009 at 12:20 »

Wanna bet?

Oh, please...no more!!!

We have traded Christ for the religion of Christianity.
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: