Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Sep 02, 2014 at 08:14 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Woodson--picking Cardinals?  (Read 1657 times)
Preacherman0
Old School Member

« on: Jan 28, 2009 at 07:27 »

http://www.postgazette.com/pg/09028/945036-66.stm

Can't say I disagree with him.  It's almost as if he's giving the Steelers a heads-up, a warning about what they're going to have to do to win Sunday.  If we don't bring a great effort and these guys start getting loose all over the field, we are in serious trouble.

Again, the offense is the key for the defense.  We have to control the football to keep these guys from getting into a rythm.  3 and outs will not do, as even one or two first downs per drive can greatly reduce their possession time.

Someone, make me feel better.  Tell that we are NOT going to blow our chances against the Arizona Cardinals!

We have traded Christ for the religion of Christianity.
Steelerdipwad
Old School Member

« Reply #1 on: Jan 28, 2009 at 07:31 »

Yeah, Cards might put up some numbers on us, but since they averaged 295 passing yards in their 7 losses, I think we might be able to survive even that.

"Fanatics are picturesque. Mankind would rather see gestures than listen to reason." - Friederich Nietzsche
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #2 on: Jan 28, 2009 at 09:52 »

Preacherman, the Steelers will win this game by double digits.  I know Kurt to Fitz is a great combo but those guys have not played against the best defense in the league.  They will get to Warner.  And they will punish the WRs.

And even if the Cards defense is underrated it doesn't compare to those the Steelers have faced all season.  The offense will be able to move it, get first downs and control the clock.  Meanwhile, Harrison and the boys will rest on the sidelines waiting to tee off when they take the field.

My main fear is the trick play or some special teams meltdown.  I feel if they take care of bidness in those areas then it should be a fun game for Steelers fans to watch.  They just need to play well and bring home #6.

"I like David Bowie, he was always my favorite member of Tin Machine."
- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
Preacherman0
Old School Member

« Reply #3 on: Jan 28, 2009 at 09:54 »

Thanks Jonzr.  That may stop the colon cleansing for an hour or so.

We have traded Christ for the religion of Christianity.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #4 on: Jan 28, 2009 at 10:05 »

Seems like over the past half year, at least that I have noticed, when I have been pretty calm about games (Colts, Titans, Giants), we've lost.  When I've been nervous about games, we've won.  The more nervous, the bigger the win. 

Rationally, I keep telling myself to have faith in the Steelers D, in LeBeau, in Big Ben, in Tomlin. 

But man, are the butterflies jumpin.  If there is any correlation between my gut's nervousness and the magnitude of a Steelers win, we are about to beat the motherfuck out of these guys.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
Manimal
Brownstains can suck my Member

« Reply #5 on: Jan 28, 2009 at 12:12 »

We're gonna clobber these guys. LeBeau has two weeks to figure out how to stop a pass-wacky team with no running game and one clearly identifiable player to shut down?

Consider it done. Fitzgerald will get his share of catches and yards, if only because the Cardinals simply have to throw in his direction whenever possible.

But 37-year-old Warner is going to get violently pummeled in this game, the Cardinals are going run the ball for all of 40 yards, the Steelers' offense will have the ball for 37 or 38 minutes, Ben will play a patient & controlled game with one big play a quarter, and the final period will be a laugher as the defense tees off with every Cardinal down being an obvious passing situation.
Steelerdipwad
Old School Member

« Reply #6 on: Jan 28, 2009 at 12:21 »

I've been listening to sports radio these last two weeks and I swear everyone is spending 80% of their time talking about the Cards, building up Adrian Wilson, Fitz, Warner, Boldin, etc...We're just not interesting. I have not hear a single person discuss how the Cards are going to deal with Woodley and the NFL's DPOY. As though, they'll have no impact on Warner because he gets the ball out so quickly....Sure. Let's wait and see. He's gonna drop back to pass 40 times this game, and Woodley and Silverback aren't going to touch him once? Uh huh. I'm actually enjoying this. Let 'em keep talking.

"Fanatics are picturesque. Mankind would rather see gestures than listen to reason." - Friederich Nietzsche
Manimal

« Reply #7 on: Jan 28, 2009 at 12:37 »

I keep hearing, too, that the Cardinals run exactly the kind of offense that gives a 3-4 and the Steelers in particular trouble. Woodson is saying this. I think there's an argument for this .... if you're talking about the 2002 or 2003 Steelers.

I actually think the best offense to run against the Steelers is a balanced one with a strong running game. Tennessee -- that's an offense that gave us trouble. Any team that makes us work really hard to stop the run takes the Steelers out of their element. It's the teams whose running games we stop with ease that we end up eating alive.

The team that's most like the Cardinals that we played this year - how about New England? They brought a QB on a roll into that game. They love to spread the field and throw quick slants and outs and little hitches. They also have an elite big-play receiver, AND the best receiver in the game for the short quick stuff.

Their running game is probably comparable to the Cardinals.

What'd they do? All week leading up to that game, the talk was, oh Matt Cassell has had three straight monster games, he's going to give the Steelers fits, blah blah blah.

The Chargers were similar to the Cardinals also, offensively.

I respect the Cardinals. But I actually fear their defense more than their offense. I think their defense is very talented, but young. Young enough that they make mistakes o'plenty. But if that unit is jelling, and they play a great game in the Super Bowl, they could shut down the Steelers' O and we'll see a slugfest.

But I just don't see Warner coming out and dinking and dunking all over the place on us.
« Last Edit: Jan 28, 2009 at 12:38 by Manimal » Logged
jasonic

« Reply #8 on: Jan 28, 2009 at 12:57 »

"I had a little sour taste in my mouth for about two years," Woodson said.

did Kordell contribute to this story?

"If you make every game a life and death proposition, you're going to have problems. For one thing, you'll be dead a lot."
Steelerdipwad
Old School Member

« Reply #9 on: Jan 28, 2009 at 13:01 »

"I had a little sour taste in my mouth for about two years," Woodson said.

did Kordell contribute to this story?
tongue8

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: